One More Question about Red October

By reading these boards it seems that Red October gives everyone the same basic itinerary in the first instance (we will be there 2 days). I have found that they were most amenable when I requested changes, but then the price went up precipitously. Anyone else have this expereince?

Also they now tell me I can not see the Gold Room at the Hermitage unless I join a group of 15 (we are only 4) and that she will put me on a "wait list". This is the first I have heard of this. In her previous e-mails it just noted that the Gold Room was $15 extra. Anyone else encounter this?

Thanks for the info,

I have been working with DenRus and they offer the Gold Room no matter what the size of your group. Their costs are $65 USD lump sum for a group up to 4 persons and $15 USD per person for groups 5+ people.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;8;20;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0000

Until we'll be sailing on the Jewel of the Seas 8/20/04

<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

When we were planning our two day stop in St. Petersburg last year, I had communicated with both RO and Denrus. When I requested some minor itinerary chganges, RO was very accommodating, and didn't raise the price at all. On the other hand, Denrus becaue quite snippy and raised the price significantly.

On the Jewell May 16 cruise, we got into the gold room through RO for 15 each and there was 7 of us.

Jewel of the Sea May 2004

Serenade of the Sea August 2003

Splendour of the Sea August 1999

Legend of the Sea August 1997

Rotterdam May 1989

We used R.O. last year and they put together two groups to make the larger number to tour the Gold Room. They cannot take you in -- they are NOT allowd to. Maybe they can combine your group with another group. Please do not hold this against them. We had a wonderful tour with them and I have raved all year to my friends. I just received an email from the Grand Princess. My friends raved about their tour with R.O. and enjoyed having lunch with the Russian family. I have posted this before -- it is a wonderful experience. Sheila

Just returned from Constellation Baltic cruise. We used RO in St. Petersburg and were very satisfied.

We were a group of six that RO combined with another small group so that we could visit the Gold Room. The size of the group is controlled by the Hermitage, not RO.

We paid $15 extra per person for the Gold Room. We also paid extra for camera privileges in various museums and palaces, and extra for early entrance fees. If this is what you mean by the price going up as you make changes, that appears to be standard.

Not sure what they mean by "wait list" unless it means that at this time they have no other confirmed reservation for a small group with which they can combine you. If there's a way to get you into the Gold Room, they'll do it. Be persistent and keep emailing.

RO came through with everything they promised. If you make a reservation with them, make sure to bring a copy of the itinerary you agreed to and the prices you were quoted. This will avoid any discrepancies when it is time to pay.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Andee:

When we were planning our two day stop in St. Petersburg last year, I had communicated with both RO and Denrus. When I requested some minor itinerary chganges, RO was very accommodating, and didn't raise the price at all. On the other hand, Denrus becaue quite snippy and raised the price significantly.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I appreciate your info. However, I have had quite the opposite experience. Red October was less responsive and less willing to change. On the other hand, DenRus has been great. I think it just depends on who you deal with at each company. I look forward to our tours with DenRus and I'm sure they'll be great.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;8;20;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0000

Until we'll be sailing on the Jewel of the Seas 8/20/04

<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

Please report back after your tour with Denrus so we have some info about them. All I know is that Red October is a wonderful tour group which was formed about four years ago with most of the best tour guides in the city. I used them as well as my friends. Have a wonderful time!

We just returned from the May 22nd cruise on the Constellation. We arranged two days of touring with DenRus. I had corresponded with both DenRus and Red October in setting up exactly what we wanted to see. We had a very full itinerary and some very specific requests. Both companies responded promptly to all of my emails.

There was a difference in their responses. DenRus was definitely responding carefully to exactly what I was requesting. At the same time they were also making recommendations and suggestions. They pointed out some important infomation that helped us decide on our final itinerary. Red October kept putting in the schedule some items I specifically said we were not interested in. I felt they were trying to plug us into their program.

We were a group of six. I forwarded the emails from both companies to the other members of our group. Everyone had the same gut reaction to the responses we were receiving from the two companies. So we went with DenRus. I must say we were not disappointed. We were off the ship by 7:20 am the first day and they were there to meet us and wisk us on our way. They kept us on schedule, never waited in any lines, and made some extra stops when time allowed. Our guide Nadya was fantastic. She knew her art, history, politics, and had a great sense of humor. Her english was perfect. We were never bored. We had two fantastic days.

I'm sure had we used Red October we would have had a great time also. Red October is the company you read about the most on these boards and they consistently get good marks. So this is in not to slam Red October. This is just to let you know that DenRus offers a great product.

As far as price is concerned, DenRus was less expensive. However, that was not a deciding factor in which company we chose, just an added bonus.

Archived