Proof of 18% gratuity on specialty restaurants

hpecorari

If one doesn't like it, they have the power of the money. They can cancel all cruises they have booked and not book any more or they can continue to cruise with NCL and not go to the specialty restaurants or they can, as some have said they will do, reduce that amount from their DSC. No one has to pay this extra charge.

Well stated... In other words, quitcherbitchen.

Here is what my friend on POA responded with:

Lol funny you ask this, because NCL has not informed us on why they changed it (the speculation is that they are doing it because the recently acquired reagent cruise line has 18% gratuity). NCL was not ready to make this change because they did not have the new menus ordered with the 18% gratuity on it, instead the ships print shop had to print them out until we get the real menus which are now on order.

So the question is still unanswered as far as whether or not the specialty waiter actually sees this 18% or any part of it in their pay checks or whether it is simply a service charge that goes straight into NCLs coffers.

So the question is still unanswered as far as whether or not the specialty waiter actually sees this 18% or any part of it in their pay checks or whether it is simply a service charge that goes straight into NCLs coffers.

Looks like NCL has updated their service charge section on their website:

What's the service charge?

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports. How much is the charge? Onboard Service Charges are additional

http://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

If one doesn't like it, they have the power of the money. They can cancel all cruises they have booked and not book any more or they can continue to cruise with NCL and not go to the specialty restaurants or they can, as some have said they will do, reduce that amount from their DSC. No one has to pay this extra charge.

This is pretty much what I've been saying all along, as well. Except I won't be adjusting my DSC.

On my first cruise on NCL, in the 80's, you tipped your waiter in cash at the end of the cruise. After freestyle, they went to the DSC because you wouldn't have the same waiter each day, so tipping on the last night wouldn't work.

When they first opened Le Bistro, the entire upcharge ($5) went to the wait staff:

https://books.google.com/books?id=ijEDAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PA63&dq=cruise%20travel%20le%20bistro&pg=PA63#v=onepage&q=cruise%20travel%20le%20bistro&f=false

If you don't want to click, it says "A gratuity of $5 is recommended in Le Bistro"

Eventually they raised the upcharge, and implied that part of the fee was an extra tip.

More recently they have implied that the DSC covered the tip.

Now we are told that we must to tip in addition to the upcharge, because the DSC doesn't cover the waitstaff in the specialty restaurants anymore.

In 5 years are we going to have a mandatory $5 tip per person for the complementary restaurants?

Yes, the story is apparently ever changing. Kind of a "Forget what I told you before, this is what I'm telling you now" type thing.

And, NCL has yet to officially tell us that the specialty waiters are no longer included in the DSC. Some have speculated this, and there are a couple reports of Customer Service confirming it, but we have a second hand report on this thread from a POA waiter who confirms they are still in the DSC and in fact have not really been told anything about this new 18%.

It's beginning to look more and more like an underhanded, sneaky service charge wrapped up in the guise of an auto gratuity to me.

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports. How much is the charge? Onboard Service Charges are additional

THANK YOU.

I'm glad NCL finally put that to rest.

So that means that NOW the specialty staff does NOT rotate to complimentary venues? If they do..then it IS double dipping..right?:confused:

So that means that NOW the specialty staff does NOT rotate to complimentary venues? If they do..then it IS double dipping..right?:confused:

No, because they would and should get compensated for their time spent in an MDR. Nobody says its split evenly.

If you have two part time jobs, as opposed to one full time job, you should get paid for those two jobs however you are compensated by each job. That's not called "double dipping" that's called working.

Edited by AEckhardt

No, because they would and should get compensated for their time spent in an MDR. Nobody says its split evenly.

Guess they had better rehire some staff just to keep track of it all :eek::rolleyes:

Guess they had better rehire some staff just to keep track of it all :eek::rolleyes:

I would think that each time they swipe someone's room key in a particular venue, it's being kept track of by the computers. And I'm sure they must "punch in" and "punch out" at each venue they work at, to keep track as well.

With fewer people in the pool for the DSC since it only applies to the complimentary dining venues, the DSC at the very least should not have been increased. Common sense dictates the DSC should have been decreased as specialty staff is removed. Let us use our brain and see this additional 18% for what it is, increasing revenue for NCL not the hard working people we want to support.

Thanks, I did not see your post before I posted my last one. I''ll take a look at the website. Did they also update the Faqs section on Tipping to add Specialty Waiters to the list of staff who receive an 18% auto grat in lieu of a share of the DSC?

Odd that our POA waiter says they are STILL IN the DSC and the 18% has apparently not been discussed with them.

Thanks, I did not see your post before I posted my last one. I''ll take a look at the website. Did they also update the Faqs section on Tipping to add Specialty Waiters to the list of staff who receive an 18% auto grat in lieu of a share of the DSC?

Odd that our POA waiter says they are STILL IN the DSC and the 18% has apparently not been discussed with them.

That is because the 18% has nothing to do with the staff. Employers would want to inform their employees they are about to get a raise; that's the only perk for being a boss giving employees more pay.

As for keeping track of all passengers on where they dine, it will not be accurate as only one person's keycard is used for the entire party when you enter the dining room. My friend in a solo cabin can swipe my entire family of four into the MDR. How NCL knows where my family dined is beyond me in this situation.

Since quite a few of us has stated that if NCL remove he specialty staff from the general DSC, they can accept this new fee. So NCL did what you requested to allow you to accept this. Wouldn't surprise me if we gave NCL the idea as it monitors this board, otherwise the verbiage should have changed the same time as the 18% was added to the UDP purchase.

Edited by SJ

No that has not been updated yet, I would guess that they have a one handed person working in their updating division (just kidding), but really don't know what they haven't updated them all, but at least this is a start.

I would guess if they haven't discussed the 18 percent with them, they probably don't know that it is only complimentary restaurant staff in the DSC either. Also, since the laws are different on the POA, if you notice, under the gratuity section it does not say that the 18 percent for spa and salon are gratuities like it does for the rest of the fleet, it is called a service charge, maybe it doesn't apply on that ship.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I would think that each time they swipe someone's room key in a particular venue, it's being kept track of by the computers. And I'm sure they must "punch in" and "punch out" at each venue they work at, to keep track as well.
Not to mention, there is a schedule where each employee has to be at what times.

That is because the 18% has nothing to do with the staff. Employers would want to inform their employees they are about to get a raise; that's the only perk for being a boss giving employees more pay.

As for keeping track of all passengers on where they dine, it will not be accurate as only one person's keycard is used for the entire party when you enter the dining room. My friend in a solo cabin can swipe my entire family of four into the MDR. How NCL knows where my family dined is beyond me in this situation.

But they would enter the number of people dining, and NCL's system would know what MDR server is waiting on them, therefore, this possibly (because again, we don't know how it is portioned out) contributes to their portion of DSC. It doesn't matter what cabin they are from. The DSC is pooled from all those sailing and dealt out as NCL sees fit.

That is because the 18% has nothing to do with the staff. Employers would want to inform their employees they are about to get a raise; that's the only perk for being a boss giving employees more pay..

Not sure what you mean by your statement that the 18% has nothing to do with the staff. If it has nothing to do with the staff, then NCL should call it a service charge and not an auto gratuity.

I was being sarcastic :rolleyes: just tying it in with the recent firings..;)

But they would enter the number of people dining, and NCL's system would know what MDR server is waiting on them, therefore, this possibly (because again, we don't know how it is portioned out) contributes to their portion of DSC. It doesn't matter what cabin they are from. The DSC is pooled from all those sailing and dealt out as NCL sees fit.
I would guess it doesn't depend on the number of passengers the server is waiting on, it is probably based on the hours someone spent where and, since those in the specialty restaurants could get substantially more now, possibly they don't get any DSC for working in complementary restaurants, as it would be covered in their wages derived from gratuities. Or they might be changing it to where they don't work in the complementary restaurants, but have other duties; like, setting food and beverages for parties and meetings, working in the crew dining rooms, etc. Who knows. Edited by NLH Arizona

No that has not been updated yet, I would guess that they have a one handed person working in their updating division (just kidding), but really don't know what they haven't updated them all, but at least this is a start.

I would guess if they haven't discussed the 18 percent with them, they probably don't know that it is only complimentary restaurant staff in the DSC either. Also, since the laws are different on the POA, if you notice, under the gratuity section it does not say that the 18 percent for spa and salon are gratuities like it does for the rest of the fleet, it is called a service charge, maybe it doesn't apply on that ship.

Still no satisfactory answer from NCL IMO.

The website still says, "there is no required or recommend tipping on our ships". This is, in fact, no longer the case. The section on Gratuities still lists only Spa, Salon and Beverage Service as the only class of employees who get 18% Auto Grats. They still do not include Specialty Waiters in the list of those who do not benefit from the overall service charge (DSC).

Come on, NCL. Is it too difficult to have someone review the website and remove and/or correct any now erroneous and conflicting info?

Edited by punkincc

It's only double-dipping if you eat at specialty restaurants because of the 'teamwork' and work shifts on top of the cover charge and autto 18%. While at complimentary places like MDR, its already cover by DSC. And DSC covers the other staff member that one technically needs, which is the room steward.

Personally to me, its smarter to pay the DSC than buy the UDP because 1) its cheaper; 2) covers all the meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks) at all times while UDP just primarily covers the evenings only; and of course, 3) tips the room steward. Of course, that just me being super rational and everyone that still arguing over not wanting to pay neither DSC &/or 18% but still buying the UDP anyway (the 18% is already included in the price), just not thinking everything through. *shrug*

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

It's only double-dipping if you eat at specialty restaurants because of the 'teamwork' and work shifts on top of the cover charge and autto 18%. While at complimentary places like MDR, its already cover by DSC. And DSC covers the other staff member that one technically needs, which is the room steward.

Personally to me, its smarter to pay the DSC than buy the UDP because 1) its cheaper; 2) covers all the meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks) at all times while UDP just primarily covers the evenings only; and of course, 3) tips the room steward. Of course, that just me being super rational and everyone that still arguing over not wanting to pay neither DSC &/or 18% but still buying the UDP anyway (the 18% is already included in the price), just not thinking everything through. *shrug*

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

What?!!!!:confused:

Still no satisfactory answer from NCL IMO.

The website still says, "there is no required or recommend tipping on our ships". This is, in fact, no longer the case. The section on Gratuities still lists only Spa, Salon and Beverage Service as the only class of employees who get 18% Auto Grats. They still do not include Specialty Waiters in the list of those who do not benefit from the overall service charge (DSC).

Come on, NCL. Is it too difficult to have someone review the website and remove and/or correct any now erroneous and conflicting info?

I have said, the way they made this change was horrendous, because they didn't have everything updated, thus making it quite confusing for their passengers.

There website says: there is no required or recommended tipping on our ships for service that is generally rendered to all Guests, with the operative words being rendered to all Guests. The specialty restaurant staff doesn't render services to all guest, and yes they should be included in the area where it names butlers, concierge, etc. But it certainly doesn't look like this has been updated (I don't know why, maybe someone should call Mr. Del Rio and ask about the inefficiencies of their website staff).

Hey, I don't know why they haven't update their entire website and you are going to believe what you want, which is fine by me.