Why doesn't Regent offer a laundry special

Why doesn't Regent offer a laundry package?The Paul Gauguin does on all their cruises without limit. Even MSC (a mass market line on which we have cruised in their upscale and all-inclusive Yacht Club) offers a bag-a-day laundry package at moderate extra charge. We recently cruised the Mariner on a 16 day cruise. We did use the charge-by-the piece ships laundry some. We used their self service washer/dryer units when we could, in light of the fact that they have only 9 such units for a 700 guest ship.

Is it just me, but on the longer Regent cruises, would anybody else be willing to pay a little bit to get their laundry done (as Platinum cruisers do), instead of lugging heavy luggage around airports or paying $1.50 to get a pair of socks washed?

Agree with you to a certain extent. On the other hand, it took years for us to reach Platinum level so that we could have included laundry. It is a goal that brings Regent more $$$. Silversea includes laundry for the upper suites (which is one reason we sailed on Silversea). Unlike Silversea, however, Regent is filling their ships (while some Silversea cruises are half full -- or half empty).

Regent does provide free use of their laundry facilities which are heavily used by passengers. When we sail on Oceania (even in their top suites), we have to pay $2.00 per load for washing clothes and $2.00 per load for drying. To be 100% honest, it doesn't bother me that much to do a load of clothes once in a while (when it isn't crowded).

Travelcat2,

Let me clarify. We are only Gold level, and we realize that Platinum level (which I lack life expectancy to reach) has unlimited laundry, gratis -- for free. I was not suggesting that a "laundry package" for us who are below Platinum level be included in the fare, for free. I was suggesting that it be available at some "bulk rate" for extra charge. I think the Paul Gauguin charged $120 per suite on a 10 day cruise. And it made a lot of things much easier. For us, it was more convenient and economical than having our laundry done at the "per piece" rate. So it is something like the Paul Gauguin offers that I was suggesting. I was certainly not suggesting that laundry service be available to all guests below Platinum, without extra charge.

Edited by Dolebludger

What you are describing is offered by Regent's sister company, Oceania. I believe that we paid $20 for 20 pieces of laundry (not ironed - just washed and folded). I suppose that Regent could do this but I'm not sure that there is any incentive to do so. In terms of customers, for better or worse, Regent has been in the drivers seat for a long time. If the time comes when they need more customers, this is one incentive that could draw them (if Regent has the capacity to meet the demand of this very popular benefit).

Don't you have a Regent cruise booked in the near future? As I've said before, it is good to see you back on the Regent board:-)

No Regent cruise booked at the moment. But just got back from the Mariner Papeeta/Lima in early March, 15 . We took the PG "Repeaters cruise" last Sept. and were on MSC in their "yacht club" (an exclusive section of the ship that is all inclusive and open dining seating) a year ago for a music cruise (the Moodie Blues and Yes). We really liked the Mariner cruise, but missed the flat rate laundry packages that were available on the other two cruises I mention above. We discovered that there was no flat rate laundry on thr Mariner before we packed for that 16 night cruise, so we ended up taking two pieces of checked luggage weighing almost 50 lbs. each. Would have been better if we could have bought a laundry package for $12 per day like we did on the PG. We could have cut the luggage weight in half, and benefited everybody -- especially 71 year old me!

No Regent cruise booked at the moment. But just got back from the Mariner Papeeta/Lima in early March, 15 . We took the PG "Repeaters cruise" last Sept. and were on MSC in their "yacht club" (an exclusive section of the ship that is all inclusive and open dining seating) a year ago for a music cruise (the Moodie Blues and Yes). We really liked the Mariner cruise, but missed the flat rate laundry packages that were available on the other two cruises I mention above. We discovered that there was no flat rate laundry on thr Mariner before we packed for that 16 night cruise, so we ended up taking two pieces of checked luggage weighing almost 50 lbs. each. Would have been better if we could have bought a laundry package for $12 per day like we did on the PG. We could have cut the luggage weight in half, and benefited everybody -- especially 71 year old me!

You pack like I do (currently in the midst of packing our 50 pound suitcases:-) BTW, 71 is NOT OLD (yes -- I'm yelling ;) )

We have been fortunate to have enough OBC on our Regent cruises to get laundry done and still have plenty left over for other things. I agree, though that prices are high, but they do iron my husbands T-shirts (under shirts) , something I tell him NOT to get used , too. :)

Edited by findacruise
correction

Travelcat2,

71 may not be that old, but some of the things than come with it (like arthritis of the feet, ankles and knees) create a real problem in schlepping around heavy luggage. And (as I've mentioned before) my wife has MS. You'd never know it if you met her socially, as hers is a very mild controlled case. But she does fatigue easily, and has problems with heavy things. So being able to pack light is a real issue (not a mere preference) for us.

findacruise,

Oceania's system of 20 items for $20 sounds like a good one that its big brother Regent ought to copy. A lot of Regent cruisers are in my age group (or older) and they too probably have some degree of mobility limitations -- some worse that mine to my observation. I think all Regent cruisers would really appreciate this system -- don't you?

Pressing isn't much of an issue. We now live in Durango CO where folks rely on clothes that don't need pressing. Some residents don't own an iron! We've used ours twice in the 3 1/2 years we've lived here. But laundry remains a necessity.

Edited by Dolebludger

Travelcat2,

71 may not be that old, but some of the things than come with it (like arthritis of the feet, ankles and knees) create a real problem in schlepping around heavy luggage. And (as I've mentioned before) my wife has MS. You'd never know it if you met her socially, as hers is a very mild controlled case. But she does fatigue easily, and has problems with heavy things. So being able to pack light is a real issue (not a mere preference) for us.

Definitely understand knee issues (had my knee replaced 3 months ago) and will not be able to do 100% of what I normally do on our April 2nd cruise). Thankfully my DH does the schlepping:) Thankfully your wife has very mild MS -- my mother had it for many years.

It really isn't fair for me to not want Regent to offer laundry specials. It took us years to reach platinum level so my views are a bit different. Sorry -- I really should be more open to the idea.

georgO.

I don't know what "rack rates" means, but laundry on Regent can be had on a "per piece" price basis like a pair of socks, $1.50, or a polo shirt $5.00. A laundry package (all your laundry done on a cruise for a flat rate) is generally less expensive for guests who want to pack light and rely heavily on the ship's laundry, and is something that is being done on one lux line and one mass market line -- and that is only the ones I have experienced.

Edited by Dolebludger

When did Oceania start offering 20 pieces for USD 20? I havent heard about that one. And since we'll be on board in 10 days I am interested in learning more....

If you asked that question on the Oceania board, you would get two or three different answers. All I know is that we were offered this "special" on three different days on our 15 night cruise. A "card" was included along with miscellaneous (usually unwanted) advertisements that come with their daily newsletter. It gave the dates that the offer would be valid. Note: The clothes do not come back looking anything like what you get on Regent.

I'm speculating that Ociania's deal is wash only -- no ironing. But that is OK with us, because the stuff we had laundered on ships doesn't get ironed when we are at home! Like undies, swimwear, perm press shirts, polos, T shirts, shorts, and stuff.

Also, the laundry that came back using PG and MSC yacht club laundry packages was nice and ironed. Even my undies! One has a right to expect such laundry packages on the PG (and Regent) due to the cost of these cruises, But MSC? That is a mass market line we would not have taken, except that it was a music cruise featuring some of our favorite bands. Their yacht club came close to lux line standards in almost every way for 1/2 the cost, with the pleasant addition of a laundry package. If MSC can do it, Regent surely can.

For what its worth, we always use the laundry services in hotels or cruise ships, finding it better than hauling dirty clothes. we were delighted with the free service on PG and Holland America Neptune suites. But we were delighted with the self washing facilities on the Voyager for non iron stuff on our Istanbul- Dubai trip last year. I was surprised that several young men were also ironing in the laundry room. This year on our trip from Rio we will use both the self washing facilities for non iron stuff, and may send out for some freshly laundered and ironed shirts, blouses and dresses. I'm glad I don't have to decide how to divide up expense dollars in a competitive market. Probably good to support what is important to any of us to help management decide. Thanks,