Nieuw Amsterdam aft facing vs signature suite SZ

meduza

Difficult to compare: we love AFT as we enjoy watching the "V" wake shape trailing away and on the AFT corridor are only a few cabins sharing the space (quiet).

Having said that Signature gives you a little more space.

We have booked SZ before also and paid in the end a little extra to get a Neptune suite (SB) on the corner of AFT. Now we really spoiled and had it 'both ways' in space and view.

Difficult to compare: we love AFT as we enjoy watching the "V" wake shape trailing away and on the AFT corridor are only a few cabins sharing the space (quiet).

Having said that Signature gives you a little more space.

We have booked SZ before also and paid in the end a little extra to get a Neptune suite (SB) on the corner of AFT. Now we really spoiled and had it 'both ways' in space and view.

Thanks a lot for a reply ! I'm still thinking what to do, specially because our friends staying aft facing cabin next to ours, and if we will upgrade, we will be on different decks....

You have close access to elevators that go directly to the Lido and dinning room. SY's are nice cabins and because there are not a lot of them you'll probably will get a up sell offer to a better cabin when you get close to your sail date.

You have close access to elevators that go directly to the Lido and dinning room. SY's are nice cabins and because there are not a lot of them you'll probably will get a up sell offer to a better cabin when you get close to your sail date.

Thanks for a quick reply ! The cabin 6106 is in category SZ. There is only two cabins in this category -6106 and 6111. Looks like 6111 is smaller by the size according to HAL. In category SY there is nothing available . I'm really afraid what if I still keep my category SZ guarantee , I can be "upgraded" to category SS on deck 5, and if it's happen I will be in a cabin with very small balcony overlooking emergency boats-tenders.

So I need an advice from the experts, should I keep my SZ guarantee, or just grab this cabin 6106.:confused::confused:

Thanks for a quick reply ! The cabin 6106 is in category SZ. There is only two cabins in this category -6106 and 6111. Looks like 6111 is smaller by the size according to HAL. In category SY there is nothing available . I'm really afraid what if I still keep my category SZ guarantee , I can be "upgraded" to category SS on deck 5, and if it's happen I will be in a cabin with very small balcony overlooking emergency boats-tenders.

So I need an advice from the experts, should I keep my SZ guarantee, or just grab this cabin 6106.:confused::confused:

So who's to say you wouldn't be upraded to deck 6 where there are 36 SS and not deck 5 where there are only 4 SS cabins. No one say's you can't decline the uprade cabin in exchange for another one. But I think if your worried about this, book the SZ 6106, that still does not keep you from getting an upgrade or up sell to an SS or nicer yet, SC - SB - SA. Just make sure your TA or PCC knows your willing to upgrade or up sell but to the right cabin.

So who's to say you wouldn't be upraded to deck 6 where there are 36 SS and not deck 5 where there are only 4 SS cabins. No one say's you can't decline the uprade cabin in exchange for another one. But I think if your worried about this, book the SZ 6106, that still does not keep you from getting an upgrade or up sell to an SS or nicer yet, SC - SB - SA. Just make sure your TA or PCC knows your willing to upgrade or up sell but to the right cabin.

And one more time thanks for an answer.

I'm always hoping for the best, but not always the best happened :)

But you are absolutely right, I will book this 6106 and hoping for the best, upgrade or up sell for a Neptune suite. I just never before book the guarantee , and I have no idea that I can decline the cabin HAL assign to me.:rolleyes:

I just never before book the guarantee , and I have no idea that I can decline the cabin HAL assign to me.:rolleyes:

When booking a guarantee, you can't "decline" the cabin you're assigned to. You can request to be reassigned, should your assignment not be satisfactory, but HAL has no obligation to change your assignment. Taking what you are given is part of the guarantee deal.

The only way you can be sure of staying in the cabin you want is to choose you cabin by number, then have your booking marked "do not upgrade". (even that is not a sure bet, as I learned from experience, but it's a very good one). You may or may not be offered upsells.

Just off the Nieuw Amsterdam and stayed in 6168. For the first time ever I was seasick. There is a very noticeable vibration in this area of the ship- hopefully this will be fixed while the ship is in dry-dock. Otherwise, we had a terrific cruise! Enjoy!

Just off the Nieuw Amsterdam and stayed in 6168. For the first time ever I was seasick. There is a very noticeable vibration in this area of the ship- hopefully this will be fixed while the ship is in dry-dock. Otherwise, we had a terrific cruise! Enjoy!

Thanks for your input ! My friends have a cabin 8166 on our upcoming cruise. Will keep looking , may be will switch to somewhere in the middle of the ship. Did you notice same vibration in the middle of the ship ?

When booking a guarantee, you can't "decline" the cabin you're assigned to. You can request to be reassigned, should your assignment not be satisfactory, but HAL has no obligation to change your assignment. Taking what you are given is part of the guarantee deal.

The only way you can be sure of staying in the cabin you want is to choose you cabin by number, then have your booking marked "do not upgrade". (even that is not a sure bet, as I learned from experience, but it's a very good one). You may or may not be offered upsells.

RuthC, thanks for reply ! And thanks for your suggestion.

I'm still thinking what to do, book 6106 or take a risk to be upgraded to a higher category with not so good cabin :rolleyes:.

I didn't notice the vibration elsewhere on the ship with the exception of our dinner at the Tamarind- the jars in the middle of the table were shaking like a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs! BTW the food was absolutely divine! There are other posts on CC about the vibration - you can search it. I would go mid ship for sure- and you will have a fabulous cruise!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Nieuw Amsterdam up sell fairy just visited us ! And we excepted this up sell !:D:D. Now we are in aft wrap around Neptune suite. SOOOO excited !!! and its almost next to our friends aft facing balcony.

Now i have a question to an experts. Is our friend will be able to use a priority tender with us, as we have an excursion booked together, or we will have to wait for them ? and the same question regarding check in to the ship !

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Now i have a question to an experts. Is our friend will be able to use a priority tender with us, as we have an excursion booked together, or we will have to wait for them ? and the same question regarding check in to the ship !
In both cases, if you want to stick together you will have to forego priority and wait for them.

Edited by jtl513