Some questions re Cigar Club on the Gem

Turtles06

We'll be sailing on the Gem in May with my BIL and his family. BIL smokes cigars, and has a few questions re the Cigar Club on the Gem (a place I have never entered and never will! :) ).

First, can he bring his own cigars into the Club and smoke them there? Second, I'm assuming they sell cigars there --- if so, do they sell any Cuban cigars?. Finally (and while not NCL-specific, perhaps someone responding here will know): is there any place in Nassau where he can buy genuine Cuban cigars? (Yes, we know they can't be brought back into the U.S.; this would be to smoke on board before we return. We also know there are tons of counterfeits being sold.) I'll also ask that last question in the Nassau forum.

Thanks for any help (particularly re a subject with which I am SO unfamiliar!!).

We'll be sailing on the Gem in May with my BIL and his family. BIL smokes cigars, and has a few questions re the Cigar Club on the Gem (a place I have never entered and never will! :) ).

First, can he bring his own cigars into the Club and smoke them there? Second, I'm assuming they sell cigars there --- if so, do they sell any Cuban cigars?. Finally (and while not NCL-specific, perhaps someone responding here will know): is there any place in Nassau where he can buy genuine Cuban cigars? (Yes, we know they can't be brought back into the U.S.; this would be to smoke on board before we return. We also know there are tons of counterfeits being sold.) I'll also ask that last question in the Nassau forum.

Thanks for any help (particularly re a subject with which I am SO unfamiliar!!).

Yes you can smoke cigars in the cigar bar but they don't sell cigars in that room, it's a very comfortable room and you can take your drink in with you.

They do sell cigars but yeras ago when i was smoking I always found the cigars to be stale stale stale so I'm not sure what they are up to today.

I couldn't tell you if they carried Cuban but I'm sure someone here will chime in.

Yes, there are some guys hanging around offering them (and no guarantee they are real Cubans) at the straw market. But there are several legtimate stores around downtown Nassau that offer Cuban cigars. Much cheaper than the airport. You just have to shop around, and look at the prices. There's a Cuban themed bar almost next to Senor Frogs that has them, as well as most all of the liquor stores.

Yes you can bring on as many cigars as you like. Cigars are sold in the duty free liquor store on the ship, not a huge selection so I would tell him to bring his own. My hubby has found many "fake" cuban cigars in the ports we have traveled to so tell him to be careful of "fakes".

Cigar bar has cigars, but they are not properly humidified and they are stale. No cubans. Literally the only legitimate places in Nassau to get cubans are the atlantis hotel and "stogies" in the main town, i forgot what street. There are no official LCDH in the bahamas so legit cubans are few and far between. About bringing them back, you easily can, you don't even have to remove the bands. Customs really doesn't care nor will they notice. That being said, even at the 2 legit places in Nassau they will be very overpriced and likely not humidified properly. Don't fall into the trap of thinking a $75 cuban cigar is better than a $5 cuban. Most cuban cigars are priced about the same as other cigars. All of this being said, the easiest way to get cubans in the USA is to order online from Canada or Switzerland. Just about every online vendor guarantees shipments in the even of a customs seizure or another problem, which is an incredibly rare occurrence in and of itself. If you would like any more info feel free to PM me, I've been smoking cigars and specifically cuban cigars for a while and am always down to help out a fellow smoker. Hope this shined some light for you.

reddit.com/r/cubancigars is also a great source of info

Edited by nickgraz95