What do to Cozumel, Mexico??

Sorry, just noticed my title of the thread is backwards!!!! Ahhhhh

If you have never done the dolpin thing. I happen to think that dolpinarius in Cozumel is the best one out there. The ship used to offer it as an excursion but now they only offer the one that is on the other side of the island. The last two times I booked directy on their website and they gave me an rccl discount. REMEMBER if you book directly, the time you chose is Cozumel time, NOT ship time. The think I like about it, is. if you pick the first am slot.. you can easily cab to downtown to shop from their so your entire day is not consumed with just one activity. Feel free to ask if you have more questions.

We have been to Cozumel over a dozen times and every time we get off the ship and rent a jeep for the day. They range from 65.00 to 75.00 for the day. Then we hit up the taco stand across from the pier, it's in the back of a truck and the BEST street tacos I have found on the island, and have NEVER got sick from them. Then we head off on the only road that wraps the island, hitting the beaches and bars. It really is a awesome day!

We have been to Cozumel over a dozen times and every time we get off the ship and rent a jeep for the day. They range from 65.00 to 75.00 for the day. Then we hit up the taco stand across from the pier, it's in the back of a truck and the BEST street tacos I have found on the island, and have NEVER got sick from them. Then we head off on the only road that wraps the island, hitting the beaches and bars. It really is a awesome day!

Skyking, now this is something I would LOVE to do. Is that 65 to 75 pp or Jeep? Where do you rent the Jeep at? And last question, do you rent the jeep with others or would it just be my husband and I? This sounds great to do!!!

Skyking, now this is something I would LOVE to do. Is that 65 to 75 pp or Jeep? Where do you rent the Jeep at? And last question, do you rent the jeep with others or would it just be my husband and I? This sounds great to do!!!

Make sure you take out full insurance before driving in Mexico. Also call your insurance company you're with now and ask about getting a day coverage in Mexico, very important.

Cozumel Bar Hop is a great way to see the unpopulated side of the island. They stop at 4 bars (all run off generators since there is no power) for about 45 min to an hour at each. Scenery, food & drinks are amazing!

BonVoyage

Dawna

Then we hit up the taco stand across from the pier, it's in the back of a truck and the BEST street tacos I have found on the island, and have NEVER got sick from them.

Would you happen to have a name for the taco truck or a picture? I've only had tacos (in mexico) in ensanada and tijuana before. The tacos in tijuana were excellent. They were like 1.25 each and easily beat the 4-5 dollar tacos here in nyc. I'm hoping the ones in cozumel will be just as tasty.

If you goggle Cozumel tours a lot comes up. You don't have to book a tour but what I do is read about where they all go to see what's available and the descriptions. Then you plan on your own or take a tour, which ever suits you.

Make sure you take out full insurance before driving in Mexico. Also call your insurance company you're with now and ask about getting a day coverage in Mexico, very important.

Cruzsnooze, thanks for the tip!!! Did not even think about that.

If you're in the mood for something more quiet/relaxing, look at Nachi Cocum. $50/day, food and drinks included (food was excellent) and the atmosphere was wonderful.

Photos of our day there in the Silhouette review in my signature- or look on trip advisor!

The cost is total and includes insurance, I have done it with just my wife and I many times. The rental car companies are right at the pier, I am telling you we love it, and have NEVER EVER had a problem. As a matter of fact we have had awesome experiences with the locals. One time I got the jeep stuck in the sand while parked at a bar, locals from all over came over to help me, and we got it out, I offered them cash and NO one would take it. On occasion we will meet a couple that we like hanging out with on the ship and invite them along with us, we have also done this many times in St Marteen. AND Yes I do have pics of the taco stand, see below:)

It really is in the back of a truck. These pics were from our cruise in OCT on the Divina, they were building a Carls JR on the street and the truck is right behind that location. They have been there every time I have been to Cozumel since 2001

IMG_0990.jpg

I ate a total of 10 tacos this day:)

IMG_3918.jpg

AND Yes I do have pics of the taco stand, see below:)

It really is in the back of a truck. These pics were from our cruise in OCT on the Divina, they were building a Carls JR on the street and the truck is right behind that location. They have been there every time I have been to Cozumel since 2001

I ate a total of 10 tacos this day:)

Thanks, will look for this the next time I'm there.

We've done plenty of beach breaks before so we just take a cab into downtown, and head to lunch at Casa Denis. Huge, potent margaritas, great food, and pretty cheap. Yes you have to walk past lots of shops and such but we find it all part of the experience and just say no if not inclined.

After that, we just browse all the markets and shops grab a few beers here and there and have a very leisurely day. Great time and you meet some really great people that way too! I agree with the previous poster that it's so much fun to get out and meet the locals.

I second the rent a jeep and drive to the other side of the island idea! We have been to Cozumel many times and just did this our last trip there and it was awesome! We had our kids with us too and they loved it. Go early to get your jeep, or reserve in advance. We decided last minute to do this, and there were no jeeps left anywhere, so we ended up with a small suv type car. We were disappointed at first, but when it was 85 out and we had windows and A/C we were really happy :)

The "other" side is sooooo beautiful and not crowded at all. We stopped at a few places where there was a beach and small outdoor tiki bar/restaurant, then a natural rock area (so cool), the "ruins" area - not worth it at all - just some vendors and very small ruins, and then headed back around to Paradise beach which we have been to a few times. They have a great beach set up, tons of water toys, restaurant, clean bathrooms/changing rooms, and a huge pool.

Have fun!

Not sure what your budget is like but for $175USD (includes up to 4 people) you can spend the day at the gorgeous Intercontinental Presidente Hotel. It's a beautiful property with a private beach, amazing food and pools. Best of all, the resort never feels crowded. Truly feels like your own personal paradise. Included in the cost is a very nice pool view room for the day, $45USD food & beverage credit and use of all hotel amenities. There's even great snorkeling right at the resort. Can't recommend it enough. It is maybe a $7-8 cab ride from the cruise terminal.

presidente-intercontinental-cozumel-playa.jpg

Agree with Dawn.....

Cozumel Bar Hop tour is fun on the

east side... the natural side.... the

way I pictured a Caribbean Island

should look.

Good food and drink, they drive

and drop you off at your ship.

I'll be doing my 10th Bar Hop in April.

:D

Going next month on a 4 night to Cozumel, Mexico. Our first time there. Any recommendations on what to do for the day? We do not want to do the typical beach or snorkeling deal. Would appreciate any recommendations!! :)

Thanks everyone for your responses!!!! After doing some research online, looks like we are going to Mr Santos. Anyone been there? Looks like a fun, relaxing day!!

Mr Sanchos is the typical beach. They have their eats, margaritas, and massage available on the beach. It will be relaxing. Bar Hop and jeep are lots of fun, too.