Sunshine in Charleston 2016

clemsonlori98

Just put deposit down on the 4 day Bahamas cruise in May of 2016 out of Charleston. It will be the shortest cruise my family has ever taken but I am excited about it since Charleston is only 3.5 hrs away. It will give us a taste of the Sunshine. Was eyeing the 10 day out of Charleston but that would be 2 weeks of vacation. Just too much at one time. :(

Just put deposit down on the 4 day Bahamas cruise in May of 2016 out of Charleston. It will be the shortest cruise my family has ever taken but I am excited about it since Charleston is only 3.5 hrs away. It will give us a taste of the Sunshine. Was eyeing the 10 day out of Charleston but that would be 2 weeks of vacation. Just too much at one time. :(

4 days is too short to enjoy everything she has to offer. I did a 7 day on her and barely got around to everything.

We were SO tempted to book the 5 nighter on the Sunshine to Freeport and Nassau since Charleston is our closest and most convenient port of embarkation (we live in neighboring Georgia), but we ended booking the Breeze to Grand Turk and Amber Cove instead.

I just couldn't justify spending more money on an oceanview stateroom on the Sunshine to go to the Bahamas AGAIN (honestly, I lost count of how many times we've been there), when for the same price we could do the Breeze on a Cloud 9 Spa Balcony stateroom to two ports that we have never visited before, just for the sake of a shorter drive!

Edited by Tapi

We were SO tempted to book the 5 nighter on the Sunshine to Freeport and Nassau since Charleston is our closest and most convenient port of embarkation (we live in neighboring Georgia), but we ended booking the Breeze to Grand Turk and Amber Cove instead.

I just couldn't justify spending more money on an oceanview stateroom on the Sunshine to go to the Bahamas AGAIN (honestly, I lost count of how many times we've been there), when for the same price we could do the Breeze on a Cloud 9 Spa Balcony stateroom to two ports that we have never visited before, just for the sake of a shorter drive!

I would have done the same thing. Freeport does not appeal to me and I have been to Nassau before.

I would have done the same in your shoes too. The announced Journeys from Charleston actually worked in our favor - we had been eyeing the 9 day Breeze on May 26, 2016 but I was having a hard time justifying the price and two repeated ports. With the addition of the 10 day from Charleston on May 30, 2016, I get another day, THREE new ports, and it's quite a bit cheaper too. and a 5 hour drive vs a 12. :D

Edited by tropicaledrink

We are doing a Spa balcony on the Breeze at the end of April! Me and the DW will get to SPA while the kids take part in the newly operational Camp Ocean. Are your little ones going? There are like only 8 quad balconies in the SPA... freaking Vista has no quads...phooey!!

Are your little ones going? There are like only 8 quad balconies in the SPA... freaking Vista has no quads...phooey!!

Oooooh yes, they are going. And yes, they will be going to Camp Ocean while Papa and Mama are at the Spa! [emoji41] My older son already said that he will be "a stingray".

The limited number of Spa quads is one of the reasons why I pulled the trigger and reserved so far in advance. And yes. I agree that the Vista not having Spa quads (except for one lonely inside) sucks.

Well, we pulled the trigger on the 5 day... We are only 1 1/2 hours from Charleston, so the chance to sail on a bigger ship than the Fantasy class, as well as getting to experience Guy's, Blue Iguana, and the sky course so close to home outweighed going to Freeport and Nassau. We have never been to Freeport, but from what I read/hear, nothing to write home about.

Does this Sunshine will replace Fantasy?

Will they expand the limited offerings in the future?

I don't believe the Sunshine is replacing the Fantasy anytime soon. I see cruises out of Port Canaveral till April 2017. She is just making a few stop there before she goes up to New York next year for a little while. I think a segment of the Charleston population doesn't want a bigger ship there. Very political. I would love it to have some bigger ships at my home port.

I don't believe the Sunshine is replacing the Fantasy anytime soon. I see cruises out of Port Canaveral till April 2017. She is just making a few stop there before she goes up to New York next year for a little while. I think a segment of the Charleston population doesn't want a bigger ship there. Very political. I would love it to have some bigger ships at my home port.

Both are correct. I live in Charleston and Sunshine is a temporary stop here, for now.

Enjoy your cruise OP. Have you been to Charleston before? I heard it's a nice town to visit. You can always make a week out of it with a pre/post cruise stay. I, too, have been to both Nassau and Freeport more times than I can count. I went to both twice before I ever cruised. But you're on vacation. And I actually like Freeport over Nassau. Enjoy!

hello all

been a few years since last carnival cruise. we have been on the sunshine before she was refit, she was then the destiny. all the changes look awesome. we now live within 3 hours of Charleston so it seams to be a no brainer. we have always preferred longer cruises for so many different reasons.

trying to get all caught up with ships,deals,and all the reviews.

any help would be greatly appreciated, we have made so many friends in the past.

this will be our 10 cruise with Carnival.

mr and mrs big ragu 1950

Enjoy your cruise OP. Have you been to Charleston before? I heard it's a nice town to visit. You can always make a week out of it with a pre/post cruise stay. I, too, have been to both Nassau and Freeport more times than I can count. I went to both twice before I ever cruised. But you're on vacation. And I actually like Freeport over Nassau. Enjoy!

I live in the upstate of SC so I have been to Charleston many times! Wonderful city. Many things to do there. My husband spent a few years at College of Charleston also.

With Sunshine making a few stops in Charleston next year, is that not a precursor to a new ship due to Fantasy's age?

Sorry, I was commenting on the new port facility, not the potential replacement for the Fantasy.

Local politics over the current and future port expansion keeps getting wrapped up in legal wrangling. In fact, there was an article in the local paper today about one group wanting to move the potential second port to an entirely new, and yet undefined, location. That would entail several years of environment studies, more lawsuits, etc...

The funds and plan was approved 4 years ago and no work has started.

I would be surprised if Carnival replaced Fantasy with anything other than another Fantasy class. A larger full time ship will undoubtedly be met with fierce resistance. I don't know how much longer and how much more Carnival is willing to put up with.

It is past time to replace the Fantasy with another ship out of Charleston. I would be happy if they changed it to one of the "Frankenstein Balcony" Fantasy varieties like Fascination :)