Help please, Friend lost his ID

XmindyX

We are leaving on a Cruise in 10 days and someone in our group lost his wallet with his ID in it . Does anyone have any idea how long it would take to replace ? What if he does not recive it in the mail before we leave ?

We are going in the morning to get another , I just hope they can put a rush on it

Thanks for any help

This is why I have a passport. Wallets can be misplaced, or stolen for the cash and credit cards. A drivers license in a wallet isn't of much use abroad anyway. I keep my passport in a secured place, and when I travel I keep the passport in another secured place, not in my wallet.

Depending on drivers license as a picture ID and a certified birth certificate isn't smart.

Fortunately, he has ten days to get a passport, the State Dept. will expedite passports for a fee. Whether you'll be able to get a state issued drivers license in that short of time is questionable, depending on the state. I'm sure he can get a temporary form, but I don't think it will be acceptable as a picture ID. It should only take a few days to get another certified birth certificate....

If in doubt, get an expedited passport.....

I had the same thing happen to me. I gave the cashier my member card and drivers license when I wrote a check. The next day I am making sure all documents are in order and realize what happened. I called this wholesale club and was told that their policy when ID's are left behind is to destroy them :eek:

Yes I asked why they had the right! Anyways I went to the registry and got a replacement drivers license. And of course in our state you receive a paper license and your card is mailed to you. I called the appropriate authorities and was assured that the paper one would do. I would call and find out what they will accept. This was post 9-11.

Good luck

I don't drive but in PA your non driver's license is identical to the driver's license. You go to the DMV for it and there is a whole rigamorole about applying for one without an application and a photo card. However, my non-driver's license expired and I need to fly. The DMV told me to bring a copy of my e-ticket and they cut right through the red tape and issued me a new one with a picture on the spot. I'm sure a cruise would count as an emergency.

Here in Alabama, you get a (stupid) piece of blue paper with your black and white photo on it. It takes weeks to get the laminated driver's license or state I.D. card. Cruise lines and airlines will not accept these pieces of paper. Alabama is the only state I know of that does this. Why...I do not know.

In Mich , You olny recive a paper untill your photo ID arrives in the mail (takes about 2 weeks ) they told us there was no way to rush it .. We even checked into a passport and they told us it would take 10 biz days , We leave Sept 18th

I was on a cruise with a group of friends in Jan 2003 and one the guys lost his driver's license in Miami the night before the cruise. We had been all over including Lincoln Road and some clubs with were not open until after we to leave on the cruise. After much running we decided to see if he could get on the ship without it (his wife repacked everything, half expecting to have him fly and meet us at the first port and locating the license). Carnival said, no problem getting on the ship, you might have a problem getting off the ship though, and they let him on. When we got off the ship his wife had brought their marriage cert also and customs had her hold up her right hand and swear that this man was her husband and his name, address, etc. They were only a couple of minutes more than we getting through customs. (By the way, his license was at the restaurant we had eaten at, which he received when we returned to Miami).

With all that being said......I live in Michigan - my husband lost his license about a month ago, and although they said it would be two weeks to get in the mail, we received in about 5, so hopefully he'll get it soon.

Happy Cruising!

If he has an original birth certificate he may be ok. He can go through one of the services that will expidite getting you a passport. He can receive a passport within 72 hrs. Try vitalcheck.com. We used them about four years ago and had our passports in 2 days. Sent the packet out through the post office on Monday and by Wednesday we had our passports. But he has to go to a place that takes passport photos and then take the photo and birth certificate to the post office. Can't remember the exact procedure-its been 4 yrs but try the website I mentioned-it sure saved us. But I will tell you its not cheap-it was around $200.00 (2 passports) for the service but it would be better than not being able to go on a cruise.

Nope, this won't work. When you submit the PP application at the post office, you need to show them a govt. issued PHOTO ID otherwise they won't accept it.

If he has an original birth certificate he may be ok. He can go through one of the services that will expidite getting you a passport. He can receive a passport within 72 hrs. Try vitalcheck.com. We used them about four years ago and had our passports in 2 days. Sent the packet out through the post office on Monday and by Wednesday we had our passports. But he has to go to a place that takes passport photos and then take the photo and birth certificate to the post office. Can't remember the exact procedure-its been 4 yrs but try the website I mentioned-it sure saved us. But I will tell you its not cheap-it was around $200.00 (2 passports) for the service but it would be better than not being able to go on a cruise.

Thank you all so much for your help .. We called the place the liscense is sent from and they told us as soon as its prossced they will send it overnight for a fee ( of course ) So it should be here by this comming Wed , We dont leave till Sun

We talked to Carnival , They said as long as he has his Birth Cretificate and his temp liscense we could use something like a work badge or gym card , Something with his photo on it

Thank you again

Glad you have come up with viable a plan B... I've heard a club card (like Sam's Club) can work as a back up id ( to the temp. license) as well...hopefully he will recieve the permanent license on Wednesday as expected.

Don't you just hate these last minute "glitches"? :rolleyes:

Have a wonderful cruise!

A~:)

Sams Club , That is a great idea as a backup plan .. Thank you

Unless his Sam's Club picture is as bad as mine.. I'd be in jail for sure for trying to use a phony ID if I ever showed that picture anywhere but a Sam's Club... and even there I've gotten some pretty quizical looks from the clerks.:)

In AZ you can get a drivers license in about 10 min, of course that is after the 2 hour wait to get your picture taken.

You've obviously been to the AZ MVD recently!

Glad the OP appears to have the immediate problem resolved. The long term solution is a passport.... the best form of identification and good for 10 years.

Archived