HonFleur on your own

NFEB

Hi, Would love to hear if anyone has any advice on doing HonFleur on your own. We have been to Normandy and now looking for a leisurely day, cafe hopping and experiencing a taste of France.

Are there taxis available from Le Havre and what is the approximate cost? We are not interested in renting a car.

Does anyone know of any food walking tours or restaurant suggestions?

Thanks for any suggestions or advice.

That thread is a bit old but Honfleur is still as lovely as ever and the Gare Routiere is indeed the bus station which isn't too far from the port , next to the railway station and opposite a large shopping mall

Honfleur does get very busy but it looks like everything you expect France to be. We went on our own last year and because it was a Sunday we took a taxi. We've always been a bit worried about the infrequent buses but I know others who've used the bus successfully. The taxes were lined up outside the terminal building. We paid (I think) 20 Euros each and there were 4 of us in the car which was really new and comfortable with leather seats. The driver took us on a tour above the town and we had spectacular views. We then toured the town to admire the old buildings. The only problem was our driver didn't speak English but my French was good enough to get by. If you don't speak French you might have to try to get a driver who at least speaks some English.

There are numerous restaurants around the harbour and throughout the town and having holidayed in Normandy a few times we've always had a good meal and decent bottle of wine. If it's something special you want there are some excellent recommendations on TripAdvisor. There are also some great shops including lovely delis if you fancy bringing home some cheese etc.

We had 3 hours in Honfleur on our own then the taxi driver came back to meet us at a pre-arranged point in the town centre. We love it there.

Edited by tartanexile81

This site has some really good information: http://www.whatsinport.com/Le-Havre.htm

The bus timetable is, to say the least, confusing. There is a bus at 08:40 and 12:42 shown as rout 20. http://www.busverts.fr/upload/fiches_horaires/bis/L20S1.pdf

Route 39 is faster but the only useful departure is at 14:20 http://www.busverts.fr/upload/fiches_horaires/bis/L39S1.pdf

This is a link to all the services: http://www.busverts.fr/281-Horaires-Bus-Verts-du-21-dec-2014-au-04-juil-2015.html

That thread is a bit old but Honfleur is still as lovely as ever and the Gare Routiere is indeed the bus station which isn't too far from the port , next to the railway station and opposite a large shopping mall

Honfleur does get very busy but it looks like everything you expect France to be. We went on our own last year and because it was a Sunday we took a taxi. We've always been a bit worried about the infrequent buses but I know others who've used the bus successfully. The taxes were lined up outside the terminal building. We paid (I think) 20 Euros each and there were 4 of us in the car which was really new and comfortable with leather seats. The driver took us on a tour above the town and we had spectacular views. We then toured the town to admire the old buildings. The only problem was our driver didn't speak English but my French was good enough to get by. If you don't speak French you might have to try to get a driver who at least speaks some English.

There are numerous restaurants around the harbour and throughout the town and having holidayed in Normandy a few times we've always had a good meal and decent bottle of wine. If it's something special you want there are some excellent recommendations on TripAdvisor. There are also some great shops including lovely delis if you fancy bringing home some cheese etc.

We had 3 hours in Honfleur on our own then the taxi driver came back to meet us at a pre-arranged point in the town centre. We love it there.

Thanks for the information. I think we'll take a taxi and tour on our own; my French should get us by if we don't need any complicated questions answered.

I think you were with us on the Ruby TA last fall and the wonderful dinner at the Platform on the night before the cruise.

Thanks for the information. I think we'll take a taxi and tour on our own; my French should get us by if we don't need any complicated questions answered.

I think you were with us on the Ruby TA last fall and the wonderful dinner at the Platform on the night before the cruise.

Of course I remember you and glad to see you're still cruising. We've just come back from 10 weeks round South America which was truly amazing.

Enjoy Honfleur. It really is worth a visit and although I love everything French, Normandy is still one of my favourite areas.

Of course I remember you and glad to see you're still cruising. We've just come back from 10 weeks round South America which was truly amazing.

Enjoy Honfleur. It really is worth a visit and although I love everything French, Normandy is still one of my favourite areas.

We still love cruising. We had to cancel a b2b Caribbean because Tom had some health issues, but we're booking on another TA leaving Southampton in August. We'll definitely be going to the Platform for Sunday dinner.