Cruise with Teenagers

lisakay927

HELP! :eek:

I'm looking for the best cruise to accommodate myself & my 14 year old twin boys. I'd like to cruise sometime early June because I know how hot/humid Mexico & the Caribbean can be, but can be flexible. I've looked at some Carnival & Royal Caribbean options but can't decide as there are a plethora of reviews & opinions. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

I didn't have time to look what the itineraries are, but these are my picks. Background: We have been on 45+ cruises/30+ different ships. We have a 25 year old and a 10 year old. We have cruised - always with them - since they were toddlers.

For teens, just my opinion - in this order: NCL Getaway, NCL Breakaway, NCL Epic, Carnival Breeze, RCCL Allure, RCCL Oasis, Carnival Sunshine. We definitely are ready to try NCL Escape as soon as our budget allows.

NCL is obviously our favorite. They offer lots of dining options with totally flexible time. They have tons of activities - more than you can do in one cruise. While they be slightly inferior to the RCCL ships when it comes to the "wow" factor - we feel like there is much more to actually "do" on NCL. There are definitely lots of unique things to "see" on RCCL, but walking around and seeing it all - not enough things to do. Our kids really miss the water slides and overhead ropes course.

#1travelmom has given some good advice. I have only been on NCL once with my kids in 2001, so I can't chime in on that one! I have been on close to 20 RCL cruises with my kids from age 7-23 ( my youngest sons age now) and they had a great time on the smaller ships all the way up to the big ones! I know some ppl swear by carnival, but the one cruise I went on with my daughter during her senior year she didn't like......

On RC there would be lots of active things to do, as long as you sail on Voyager class, Freedom class, or Oasis class; would not go anything smaller for active kids.

Flowrider, pools, ice skating, rock climbing wall, sports court for basketball, soccer, etc., mini golf, table tennis, shuffleboard - probably missed something, but enough to keep them active and busy.

There is also the teen club portion of Adventure Ocean.

Parades and shows are very good. Food can be very subjective, so I won't go there. Have never had poor service.

Check out pricing, ports of call, etc. and make a comparison.

Thank you for your suggestions. :) Based on my location and the current price for flights, it looks like we may take the Mexican Riviera cruise via the Carnival Miracle. Any thoughts regarding this particular ship? I've scanned the Boards and it gets a decent rating from Cruise Critic members. Couple of questions: Is there a big difference between a regular balcony and an extended balcony? Should I pay the difference? Also which deck is better, the Panorama, Verandah or Empress?

Thank you all again for your suggestions.