Considering RCI ?

Hi. We're considering trying RCI - perhaps one of the three day short cruises that are on sale for May from Southampton.

We've been on P&O and Cunard and enjoyed both. I get the impression RCI is very "American styled" - is this right ? This wouldn't bother us as we like Orlando (for example).

Are the cruise lines really that different ? There seems to be lots more activities going on on RCI, and lots more things to spend money on :)

Are the three night cruises likely to be booze cruise types ? I heard the same about the first cruise we did (P+O 4 nighter) but there was no sign of such at all.

Thanks for any advice you may be able to give.

Man-with-a-hat

I would say that Cunard is much more British, traditional and upmarket than Royal Caribbean, Royal is more mass market with more of an American feel, and the focus is more on activities and entertainment than quality as such, and P&O is in between, with a British feel but closer to Royal in terms of atmosphere and quality.

Having cruised on all 3, which one I chose would depend on itinerary and the company I was in. I wouldn't take children on Cunard, and I wouldn't take a lover of culture and fine dining on Royal :D Just my opinion.

The booziest cruise I have ever been on was a 2 week trip on Independence. Haven't really seen drunkenness on either of the others - yet! :)

I feel RCCL is a family ship w/ great entertainment and lots to do (read your compass - my brother didn't ), I really haven't seen people misbehaving b/c of drinking. Go on one of the bigger ships if possible, just more to do. Sorry, I can't compare, which ship are you considering?

I've sailed on Cunard and Royal (but only once each) and they are markedly different experiences.

Cunard is a sort of Americanised Britishness (if that makes sense) and I love the 'golden age' decor of their ships. Ages are higher, food is better, everything is a bit more upmarket and luxurious.

Royal Caribbean I actually think the service is a bit better than Cunard (though I think that's because I'm in my 20s and got largely ignored by Cunard staff) and Royal certainly has better entertainment and a busier, younger feel.

It really depends what you're looking for. I haven't sailed with P&O so can't comment.

Generally, Cunard is classed as a Premium line, whereas P&O and Royal Caribbean are classed as Mass Market (though some will argue against that classification). If you are looking for a more premium experience but with an American flavour, you could also consider Celebrity who are the same group as Royal Caribbean but have more space per passenger, better food, and a more upmarket feel. BUT: probably less crazy entertainment and fewer 'fun' amenities etc.

I feel RCCL is a family ship w/ great entertainment and lots to do (read your compass - my brother didn't ), I really haven't seen people misbehaving b/c of drinking. Go on one of the bigger ships if possible, just more to do. Sorry, I can't compare, which ship are you considering?

Independence of the Seas.

RCCL is my favorite line , love there entertainment, plenty of things to do. I also think 3 nights is a little short. I would give them a try ( I have sailed on most of the other major lines but have not yet done Cunard which I would like to try)

Hi,

Just a 'heads-up' about Royal big ship entertainment

on a short 3 nt cruise.

The 'production company' singers and dancers usually

perform in 2 different shows on different nights. Also,

usually have a 'headliner' show on another night... could

be a comedian, singer or juggler, etcetera.

The bigger ships also have an Ice show, repeated 4x on 2 different

days (usually afternoons).

Anyway, my point is that 3 nights might be too short

to see all the productions simply because they can't fit

everything into that time.

Example: Some friends took a 2 night Oasis promo cruise

out of PE and didn't get to see much entertainment at all.

They wanted to see all the shows but didn't.

This may not matter to you, but thought I'd mention it.

Enjoy your cruise!

:cool:

Edited by rocketsurgery
sp

I totally agree about the length of the cruise.

My first cruise was on Queen Mary 2 and I didn't feel like it was long enough to appreciate everything that was happening. That was 5-nights and there's more to do on a big Royal Caribbean ship than there was on Queen Mary 2.