JUST RETURNED FROM GALVESTON, ANY ?'s

lilmsonry

Hi, just returned from Galveston. Will answer any questions about Galveston. One tip, can't always believe what you are told regarding cab/taxi price to pier. Was told it was 10.00, actually, 25.00. Galveston was wonderful! Will be happy to answer questions about Galveston, unfortunately, cruise cancelled after we got there so can't answer questions about cruise :( !

I guess I got took. Bestwestern Beachfront on Seawall Blvd, approximately 4-5 miles to pier, 25.00 ONE WAY to pier. It was a van, 3 people, luggage. Bestwestern Beachfront was cold and clean, nice place, if not on holiday, price for 4 is 59.00 range. Restaurants range from 14-29.00 per plate. Not impressed by this, as there were not many to choose from if you didn't have alot of money, at least on Seawall BLVE and at the pier. Although, Galveston was wonderful.

Hi, just returned from Galveston. Will answer any questions about Galveston. One tip, can't always believe what you are told regarding cab/taxi price to pier. Was told it was 10.00, actually, 25.00. Galveston was wonderful! Will be happy to answer questions about Galveston, unfortunately, cruise cancelled after we got there so can't answer questions about cruise :( !

So did you go to Kemah? We had not left yet for Houston when we heard the rumor and checked the boards. My TA called late Sat. afternoon and Carnival actually called mid morning Sunday. We rebooked Saturday for Elation on 9/24 with little out of pocket difference. So I'm not feeling too out of sorts like I bet you are!

We had a Travel Agent. She worked on the rebooking. We knew things would book quickly and prices would rise so we made a snap decision to go 9/24. It will still only take the kids out of school for 4 days. And as a bonus we will be on the cruise on my birthday! What do you'll plan to do?

We are going to sail Galaxy from there next April. Doing some very early research on how to get there -- we are going to have to fly out of Seattle the night before -- that's as close as I want to even think about cutting it. I understand Hobby Airport is closer than Bush International but what if we can only get to the latter - would it be feasible to rent a car (we're talking late night, on airport arrival), stay at an airport hotel (I'd do Priceline for this, location won't matter, just a place for hub/son/me to rest), drive to Galveston next morning (sounds like about an hour???) and drop the car there? Or ???? -- TR

could anyone give me info on the hobby or bush airport? which is closer to the pier? our conquest in feb gets back to the galveston port at 8am in the morning, and our friends we are cruising with want to take a 10:40 flight back home. i don't think it is a good idea, but i want the correct info. thanks for your help.

Just glancing over this thread. I saw the question re: Good places to eat. There are a couple of restaurants on the pier where the ships dock. Willie G's ($$$), Landry's ($) and Fisherman's Wharf ($$) are all very good. And it is really fun to get there around 4:00 and watch the ships sail out while you eat. (We usually sail on Sunday on Rhapsody so we go down on Saturday to eat and watch the Saturday departures)

As far as transportation, if you drive down be sure to check with your hotel. Most hotels in Galveston offer free parking for your cruise if you stay a night before or after your cruise.

Hope Galveston is ok after Rita. It is truly a great town!

Enjoy!

• 2 months later...

Archived