My CARNIVAL MAGIC experience March 15 out of Galveston

Greetings for anyone interested in my experience on my recent cruise. I had a fantastic time, and as such, wanted to share my experience. About me: Mature man, 56, sailing solo, but had a friend and neighbor taking this cruise as well. I chose a Cove Balcony, cabin 2375. I have always had one of the suites on Carnival in past sailings, so was a bit worried how I would enjoy this smaller cabin, so close to the water. I LOVED it. More to come on that. First i will begin with my pre cruise travel and stay in Galveston. This was my second time sailing the CARNIVAL MAGIC, and probably my 20th cruise on Carnival. I did some special events including the Chef's Table, The BEHIND THE FUN TOUR and dined in both specialty restaurants, the Steakhouse and Cuchina de Captitain. (sp?)

The ship sailed March 15 out of Galveston. I enjoy Galveston sailings and try to get to port a couple of days early to get into vacation mode, and rush the excited relaxation sooner than boarding the ship. I was SO ready to get away from the cold of this winter and into some warm weather.

I motored from Fort Worth to Galveston on Friday, March 13. The weather was mild, but heavy rain all the way to Houston, and cloudy from there to Galveston. So I was really ready to get settled into the hotel and relax. I always stay at the San Luis resort in Galveston and it was great to be "back home". This is one of the more upscale and luxurious properties in the city. I enjoy the service level. In addition to the main hotel, they have condos for nightly rental, two (2) Penthouse levels, and the Club 10....the 10th floor, adults only floor that has butler service. This is the floor I book. Room on this level also require a special card key for elevator access and the decor os upgraded from the rest of the property. The hotel allows me to leave my car at the hotel for the week I am on the ship and the staff provide a ride to the cruise ship terminal. Upon arrival to the hotel, t check in, you are welcomed with a glass of Champagne. Since occupancy is based on two (2), the lady at the desk asked if I wanted both glasses. I felt a little stressed from the drive, so I figured "why not?<G>...I was now on vacation. SO, two glasses of bubbles in hand, I boarded the elevator and made my way to my room. All the room here in the hotel have a gulf view and a lovely balcony overlooking the beautiful pool and the waters of the gulf.

I had arrived around 5:00 PM. I got the luggage, freshened up a bit and then went to the lobby boutique STYLE where I had spotted a dramatic shirt hanging in the window. I had not bought any new clothes for this cruise and thought this bright orange and blue creation would be perfect for the ship. Staying on the 10th floor also gives you a discount on STYLE purchases and I figured I deserved a treat. (I used this logic many times throughout the trip. I can justify many things this way.) I went to the room, changed into the shirt and made my way to the bar for a cocktail or two before dinner there in the San Luis Steakhouse. The bar was not too busy, in spite of it being spring break in Galveston. There were some interesting people to watch, and the bar has a great entertainer, so I ordered a Rob Roy and relaxed listening to the music until my table in the dining room was ready.

I LOVE the steakhouse at the San Luis. I would place it on scale with all of the top national steakhouse chains, Ruth Chris, Capital Grill, Del Frisco's, and such. The dinner was fantastic. I was lucky enough to have the same waiter I have developed a relationship with over the past four years and I really enjoyed the evening.

Saturday I was awakened by the English Butler bringing in my breakfast tray. A relaxed morning, then I was out to explore the city and meet some university chums for lunch at Shrimp and Stuff, an island favorite among locals. I followed the lunch outing with visits to the shops and boutiques on the Strand. I got to see the CARNIVAL FREEDOM prepping to sail that day, and the excitement for my own cruise really was building. I returned to the hotel to rest up before another evening in the bar and steakhouse. I made my way to the pool. The weather was not that great, partly cloudy, and on the cool side, but the water was warm and the pool has a swim up bar. Refreshed, I bathed and dressed for dinner. The hotel was more active this night, partly being Saturday I suppose. I had such a good time in the bar I hated to leave to go into dinner. I met up with some great people, all in a festive mood. No one was there to sail on the CARNIVAL MAGIC, but had sailed in the past and we shared our stories of our travels and experiences.

Dinner tonight saw me selecting seafood since I had beef the previous night.

Now with a full tummy, relaxed from cocktails and wine, I made my way back to the room where I slept beautifully and awoke again with my breakfast tray delivered by the butler. Now it was time to repack and head to the cruise terminal and REALLY begin my vacation! I departed the hotel at 11:00 AM. I received a ride in the hotel Bentley to the cruise terminal. Traffic was heavy, but exciting seeing the people also beginning their cruise vacation as well as some who had just disembarked from the previous cruise. I am Platinum and was able to move quickly through security lines then go to the Captain's Lounge for my sail and sign card. I was through all check points and on the ship, in my cabin by 12:00 noon. So, from travel from the hotel to being in the cabin, only an hour! (to be continued)

(Continued) Once on the ship, entering on the lobby level deck three(3), I took the stairs down to deck two (2) and found my cabin 2375, a Cove Balcony. I was a bit apprehensive about this room for couple of reasons: I have only sailed in suites before, because I enjoy the larger bathrooms with the jetted tubs. On other cruise lines, the shower stalls have doors, but Crnival only has a curtain, and I hate a wet, flooded bathroom. I have heard this is a problem. However, being solo, Io figured I could be my anal retentive self and keep it in order. As it turned out, there was no issue here, and the cabin steward always refreshed the towels and cleaned up, twice daily, so I was fine. I am sure this sounds petty, but that is just me. I had also read reviews of this cabin and others in this location regarding noise from above from time to time, but nothing to disturb me. I LOVED the Cove Balcony. Very private. And it was great to be so close to the water, and to be close to the piers, being able to watch the people coming and going! I found the cabin, although smaller than what I was use to, incorporated an effective use of space. On a previous cruise on the CARNIVAL MAGIC, and the CARNIVAL DREAM, I found the air conditioning not satisfactory and the cabins warm. I wrote this off as just being newer class ships and going "green" for conservation of energy. This cabin was nice and cool. Perhaps because of the shade from the life boats above. It was so exciting to be close to the water. Dolphins were swimming under the balcony in Galveston, and we saw some flying fish at times too in port.

I had pre ordered some flowers and other amenities from the Carnival website, and the flowers were waiting in the cabin upon arrival. I placed them around, two in the main room, one in the bathroom and one on the balcony table and I felt like "home". I had also requested a fruit basket which arrived shortly after I was in the cabin along with a box of Carnival cookies. The cabin steward unlocked the mini bar and brought ice, one bucket for the glasses, and one for a bottle of bubbles I had brought with me.

He kep me stocked with ice twice a day through out the cruise. I like ice. Although ice buckets are no longer a standard part of the cabin set up, there was no problem getting anything I needed. I really liked the location of the cabin. Close to the elevators, easy access up the stairs to the lobby deck. (this was especially nice on debarkation day! Sometimes the wait for an elevator is long to get off the ship.) My luggage would be a while, so I made my way up to the Lido on deck 10 in search of some lunch, and people watching. I was in a good mood and enjoyed the excitement of watching the other passengers beginning their vacation. It is always fun to see first time cruisers awing over the ship and the amenities! I was pretty familiar with the layout as I had cruised the CARNIVAL MAGIC the previous August,so I went to the rear deck and the deli for a sandwich. I had reservations for the Steakhouse at 9:00PM the first night. Knowing the size portions, I did not want to stuff too much, so a sandwich was perfect. I did buy the bottomless bubbles once on the Lido, and I got a club soda to go with my meal. I have purchased this in the past, so thought I would make good use of it this time. I was wrong. I will not do it again. After the fact, figuring the cost of a soda here and there, I did not get the monies worth. I had considered also doing the Cheers program but passed. That turned out good as well. Although i did consume several drinks a day, I never had enough to justify the expense of the Cheers card. These work well for some. It is nice to see the options.

As it was only about 12:30 PM at this point, the deck was not crowded at all. I found an umbrella table and settled in with my lunch and the first FunTimes and the shore excursion folder. Soon after sitting down, my friend who was also on this sailing texted me. She and her daughter had just boarded. We were four (4) cabins apart down on deck 2. This proved very convenient. We could lean out our balcony and see each other. (One other side note I really like about the Cove Balcony: You look out directly on the water. On the higher decks balconies, you look out onto the Promenade Deck and the hot tubs. Not as private. I like seeing the water, and I like not having people be able to look up and see me. Not that I go out on the balcony naked or do anything one should not see, but it is the knowledge thatt you COULD, if you chose to.)_

My friend and her daughter found me on the Lido and we chatted about our excitement to be on board and then explored a bit, as this was their first time on this ship. Together, we did purchase the Wine Package. Between the 3 of us, we figured we could use this, and we did. We bought the premium package. IO think it was $168.00, for five (5) bottles of wine. We used them mostly at dinner, but you could get one at any bar. They give yoiu coupons with the options of available wine printed on them. Once the bottle is presented, you can take it with you. You do not have to finish it at the seating you select it. In the dining room, they will hold it for you, should you desire and have it waiting the next time you sit down. At one time, we took the bottle back to the cabins. I like this package, and will do it on future cruises.

We toured the spa. Considered buying a spa pass, for use of the great thalassotherapy pool and the heated loungers and steam rooms. These look relaxing, but it is pricey, and we just did not know if we would use it enough. For the price of the pass, you can get a massage or other spa treatment. We were glad we passed. The serenity deck provide the indulgence we craved without the price. Not crowded, nice hot tubs, good bar service, fun hammocks.

We then went to the cabins where our luggage was waiting. Unpacked and changed into our swimming costumes and went to the required muster drill. This was held inside, with seats in the conference center. Not too uncomfortable. Once released, we headed up to the serenity deck and got in one of the hot tubs and watched sail-a-way form there! How very pleasant this was. (to be continued)

(Continued) After we were well out into the Gulf of Mexico, we got out of the hot tub where we had pleasant conversation with some young men and women on spring break and went to the cabins to clean up and dress for dinner. Our Steakhouse reservation was ofr 9:00 PM, which gave us time to relax with cocktails and find the bars we would consider our "Cheers" for the cruise. We ended up in the Piano Bar. Tis became our regular hangout. We LOVED the piano player, Peter. Could not have been more entertaining! He knows how to get the crowd inspired to have a good time, and plays a nice selection of tunes to get you toe tapping, hand clapping, sing-a-long happy! We stayed there until time for our dinner. Time passed quickly having such a fun evening.

Dinner in the Steakhouse was excellent. You can order, I believe, four (4) courses, with sides. I selected the Surf and Turf. 4 oz filet and 4 oz lobster tsil. Just right amount. I had a Cesar Salad and passed on dessert. Stuffed. If you do the steakhouse the first night, you receive a complimentary bottle of wine. You have your choice of a Merlot, or a Chardonnay. We opted for the Merlot. Nice. Free is free! I always try and take advantage of this. The Steakhouse was os pleasant, we considered dining there more than once, but we were booked for the Chef's Tasting dinner on night, and we knew we wanted to do the al-a-carte Italian Restaurant one night, so that just left four (4) nights for the Main Dining Room. We all agreed we wanted to enjoy that on the "Cruise Elegant" evenings, so we only dined once in the Steakhouse. I do highly encourage people to dine there at least once. It is magical!

We were tired after the long day and excitement so off to bed. Upon returning to the cabin, the bed was turned down and my first towel animal. I had requested the twin beds to be configured as a king, which they were. The bed was turned back, but the one side had clearly seen heavy use and noticeably sagged. I did sleep on it for a couple of nights, then moved to the other side which appeared not so worn and slept much better! The cabin was showing some signs of wear. There were no sheer curtains behind the black out draperies. You could see where they had been however. No big deal really, but i do enjoy muting the light in the day without blacking out the cabin.

One thing I do not like about the CARNIVAL MAGIC is the need to put your key card in a holder by the door to get the lights to remain on. Another "green" energy feature I do not like forced down my throat. I had the key card from the hotel with me, so I left it in. I hate coming back to a dark room, or being plunged into darkness should I forget to place the key in the slot. (It has happened before). I opened the curtains so I could view the sea from the bed. I liked this. I stepped out on the balcony and watched other ships for a while. There is something mesmerizing about gazing upon the water and seeing lights from passing ship, be them passenger cruise ships or freighters. I came back inside, filled out the room service breakfast card (LOVE morning coffee on the balcony) and retired. Next up: First day at sea! (to be continued)

Thanks for writing this review, I am traveling on the Magic in the fall and am looking forward it. I especially like that you tell it from a solo side. My plan is to stop waiting on others to commit and just start taking cruises by myself. this next one is with my son, but after that I am just going to start booking at least one a year and doing it on my own.

So glad you are doing this review - there does not seem to be a lot of reviews out on the Magic.

(Continued) One thing I do not like about the CARNIVAL MAGIC is the need to put your key card in a holder by the door to get the lights to remain on. Another "green" energy feature I do not like forced down my throat. I had the key card from the hotel with me, so I left it in. I hate coming back to a dark room, or being plunged into darkness should I forget to place the key in the slot. (It has happened before). . . .

We have not been on a ship with this feature. Am I to understand that any key card will work?

So glad you are doing this review - there does not seem to be a lot of reviews out on the Magic.

We have not been on a ship with this feature. Am I to understand that any key card will work?

Yes, even a business card, old S&S card, etc.

(Continued...) FIRST SEA DAY

My friends and I had agreed to get up early and go to the ship gym. I have visited the gym on this ship and others and found them too, too crowded. It surprises me how many people try and work out: I mean, we are on VACATION! However, the friend I had on this sailing works out at my home gym. It is this connection that actually led to us deciding to book as she knew I liked to cruise. But I digress. Anyway, we decided to check out the gym, and if we COULD find space on the machines, it was meant to be. We found that going before 7:00 AM proved to be the key to getting on the equipment. I did not do the usual routine I do at home, but at least I did do something. This allowed me to feel I could indeed indulge in special treats. Desserts, cocktails, pizza, et. etc etc......(And as a side note, I did not gain any weight on this cruise! :))

I had ordered room service coffee to be delivered at 6:00 AM. It arrived promptly, along with a bagel which I enjoyed on the balcony. Again, this is where I really, REALLY enjoyed the Cove Balcony. So peaceful. So quiet. At 7:00 AM we go to the gym. Then back in the cabins to shower and dress then we went to the sea brunch. Brunch is not my favorite meal in the dining room, but I prefer it to the Lido buffet. I like being waited on. We were seated with some fun and lively people, including two (2) ladies from San Angelo. We hit it off with them, and decided to meet up for cocktails after the day at sea and try to be assigned to the same table at dinner. My friends and I were at a four (4) top booth, and these ladies were at a two (2) top. We all agreed we wanted to meet people, so getting a bigger table was desired. The first sea day was also the first "cruise elegant" night and Captain's Reception. We were looking forward to this as we all like to dress up. At fifty-six (56), I have been rather good at mastering the art of "fancy-smanshy" <:)>

We studied the FUN TIMES to plan our day. My friends daughter had marked things of interest to her, and to what she thought would be of interest to us. She picked up on things I had missed, so I appreciated the special cruise director spirit in her! One thing she noted was Afternoon Tea-a sea tradition I thought they had done away with. Even after she pointed it pout, I still missed it in the FUN TIMES. Note: Tea is done on sea days at 3:00 PM on the upper level of the Southern Lights Dining Room at the rear of the ship.

Let me back track just a bit. One other thing we did the first day before muster drill was to visit the Shore excursion Desk and purchase the BEHIND THE FUN tour. This tends to sell out. I have done this twice: Once on the CARNIVAL MAGIC and in December on the CARNIVAL DREAM. It is a lot of walking, but worth the $99.00 price. Since this was only my friends second time on a Carnival ship, I wanted them to experience this. The daughter of my friend is just eight-teen, and had not cruised since she was eight years old. It was exciting to experience the ship and the cruise through her eyes!

Now back to our day at sea. We made a visit to Guest Services. You are allowed to bring one (1) bottle of wine on board. It needs to be in your carry on. (Although some people have successfully packed it). My friend had packed a very special bottle, and it was removed from the luggage. A note explained it would be returned at the end of the cruise. Hummmmm....we reall wanted to enjoy this wine on the cruise. Since I am a Platinum guest, we thought, if I asked nicely, they might make an exception and release the wine. I went to guest service, explained the situation, acknowledge it wass our fault for not reading the guidelines in depth, and could they please let us have the wine. The very nice agent at the desk sent an email to the appropriate management, and the wine was delivered to her cabin that afternoon. Thank you carnival!

We passed the time doing activities.

(Door bell....I will continue in a bit)

(Continued) Back now. First Sea Day:

So we went to guest service and asked for the wine to be returned. Which it was. We continued to explore the ship and try and get our bearings, seeing where things were located. Although I had been on board prior, this was the first time for the ladies and it was fun to check out places and see them through fresh eyes. The first sea day was also the first "Cruise Elegant Night" so we had to be conservative with time as it takes all of us a bit more time to "dress up"...

Our roll call had decided to do a "Meet And Greet" at 2 PM in the Red Frog Pub at 2:00 PM. Just prior to that, one lady from the roll call offered to show off her cabin, an extended balcony on deck nine. It is always fun to see the different cabins. The cabin itself was like ours, but the balcony was long and narrow with a view over the back of the ship. I could spend a lot of time out there watching the wake. What I did not like about it though was the lack of privacy. The dividers are low...you can see your neighbors if they are out. And they can see you. Not that I am going to do any unspeakable things on the balcony, but it is the idea that you could....not to mention the shuddering thoughts of your neighbors doing unspeakable things that you might find presented for you entertainment......

We go down to the Red Frog Pub...a bit early for the Meet And Greet. Seated at the bar are a few people, sipping on something tall and cool and delicious looking. I ask what it is and the man explains it is a Pain Killer. That sounds good. We order three (3) of them and sit down with our new friends killing pain. The bartender was in the process of making two already for other patrons, so now he is in assembly line mode and is quite entertaining. Like something out of the movie COCKTAIL. As we wait and watch, we look over the menu offerings. Some really good sounding nibbles offered, and we select some coconut shrimp, sliders and coconut cake. The first Pain Killer arrives. Uhhmmmmmm...tasty! Very tasty. We begin looking for others that might be coming in for the Meet and Greet. Some are with our roll call, and some are not. Those that are not quickly become part of our throng and stories are shared about past cruising, travels, cabins, food, merry making. A really great party develops. Time passes all too quickly however, and it is time for us to move onto the next grazing venue. AFTERNOON TEA.

Afternoon Tea. I love this ritual and have missed it on recent cruises. IO really thought Carnival had done away with this. It is listed in the FUN TIMES, but very small, at 3:00PM. Easy to miss. At least by me. Teas was served in the Southern Lights dining room, the one we were assigned to for late seating. We found the table we were to dine at: A booth four-top. I have never been seated at one of these, and although it looked cute and intimate, we really wanted to be with a larger group so we can meet people. We had met two gregarious ladies at our breakfast/brunch table and they stated they were assigned to a two-top. Again, they wanted to be with people to get to know. Next to these booths were two-tops. We thought maybe we could be next to each other perhaps and socialize that way. It had been determined we would find each other around the cocktail hour, go to dinner together, and see if table assignments could be changed. With that plan, we continued on into the tea. It was well turned out. Gracious. Soft music playing in the back ground. The tables were pre set with little pots of tepid water. A waiter came by with the tea chest, offering an array of tea bags in various flavors. Selections were made and the tea bags were dropped into the water and slowly a brownish tinge permeated the water. After an appreciable lenght of time, we all lifted the lid of the pot to see if the teas was steeped enough to pour, and the whole bag slipped into the pot. Now the taste of cardboard (the label identifying the type of tea, in my case Earl Gray) string and printed matter became added to the brew. Two of us poured the brew into the cup, and it was not bad, and did resemble tea. You can probably guess by now that I prefer tea leaves rather than bags, but thsi is Carnival, not Downton Abbey so I just go with the flow. I said two of us poured our brew. The third at our table picked up the little stainless steel pot and it had a leak in it. The saucer it rested upon was a puddle of liquid, spilling over onto the white cloth. So much for a beverage.

The nibbles offered were pleasant. Waiters passed offerings of cucumber sandwiches and open face salmon sandwiches . Then the pastry cart came by with little scones and two (2) kinds of cake and little tarts. Not enough for a meal, just enough to tide you over.

Now we all retired to our respective cabins to rest (something about being on a ship, at sea, on vacation, that puts one in the mood for a nap. For me, I got to tackle the little shower again, careful not to flood the cabin. I must say this worked better than I anticipated. I like the hand held nozzle. I do like the shampoo and shower gel Carnival provides in the dispensers in the bathroom. Nice scent.

Now it is time to dress. I am of the old school, and enjoy getting spruced up for dinner. I brought my Tuxedo and a Dinner Jacket, know there were two (2) cruise elegant nights. Now I am a 56 yr old mature gentleman who is dealing with aged fingers not quite as nimble as they once were. I have been dressing myself for several years, but now have trouble with buttons on shirts. My Tuxedo shirt has studs (damned things) I put the studs in first, sealed the shirt into a sleeve and slipped it over my head like a pull on. Worked well, but I could not get the top neck button fastened. Tried and tried and tried. Frustrating. I tried calling the room of my friends to ask for assistance. No answer. (Turns out one was in the bathroom in the shower, wet, and not wanting to answer the telephone, and the other was out on the balcony and did not hear the telephone.) What to do, what to do. I open the door to the cabin, hoping I would see the steward close by and get his help. This was the one time the hallway was completely empty. I go in search of a kind individual to assist. I have had to rely on the kindness of strangers. I go up the stairs to the third deck and get assistance from guest services. The young lady at the desk has no problem fastening the button for me. I go back to my cabin. I feel really, really old. Fetching, but old.

I finish my dressing, adding some bling bling to my ensemble. I have a signature piece of jewelry I always wear with my tux: A large spider I pin on the shoulder. It surprises people, but works well as a conversation piece. Traveling alone, it is an opening for people to speak to me. I have fun with it. I meet up with my friends and we go up to the Promenade Deck in search of our new lady friends from brunch and cocktails. Several nights, in the Lanai Bar/Ocean Plaza they offer the TASTE BAR. I believe the offerings this night were nibbles from the Steakhouse. We got our tid bits and went over to the bar and did the Martini Tasting. This is a fun, FUN selection of eight (8) different martinis. You select four and the bartender mixes then at the same time and then pours them, all at once, in shakers stacked together, into little martini glasses. Between the three of us, we had all eight martinis. We also began to get just a weeeeeeee bit buzzzzzed. PARTY ON!

Music began in the bar. Good, but loud. Very loud. (I noticed throughout the week that the decibel level of all the bars seems to be raised. We were at sea, but the pulsating, rhythmic savage beat was probably heard up in Detroit, but I digress.....) We decided to move on and check out the piano bar. We knew this would be a spot we wanted to hang out in, provided the piano player was decent. As we were navigating towards the piano bsar, we ran right smack dab into the Captain of the ship, mingling with the passengers. He and his staff were so very gracious. We were presented and then he posed for pictures with us. How grand! We were in very fine spirits. Full of spirits too.

We get to the piano bar and the entertainer, Peter, was just setting up. What a great, great guy! Smooth, gregarious, charming, great voice and wide range of music. In the bar here we find our lady friends from earlier. After some more cocktails we make our way to the Southern Lights dining room. We enter from the fourth deck, where our tables are located. We need to speak to the maitre 'd to ask about new table assignments. It was decided that I should ask. Partly because I am the lone gentleman in the group, and partly because I am a platinum cruiser, and maybe, just m a y b e that would carry some weight. I, along with the two ladies from brunch, descend the staircase and go to the host stand to speak to the maitre d. Here is where the spider pin came in handy. As I mentioned earlier, I had been on the CARNIVAL MAGIC back in August. The maitre d remembered me, comes over and welcomes me back. I explain or situation and he skillfully rearranges seating and I and my four ladies are assigned to a very nice table for five in the rear of the first floor Southern Lights dining room. We have the BEST waiter, Mile, who really made the week special. HJe was the man who sold us the wine package the day before and we really bonded with him.

Ah, dinner was great. I have never had bad food on Carnival. We oder our first bottle of wine from our package. Relaxed, non rushed gracious dining. We are some of the last to depart the dining room. I go back up to the Piano Bar. I am sure my new friends are with me. Peter, the piano player/entertainer, welcomes each new arrival with the ringing of a doorbell chime and the rousing "Holy Ship! Come On In"! Typical piano bar sing a long, toe tapping, hand clapping entertainment. And for me, Rob Roys. Eventually the body clock says bed time, and our first day at sea comes to a close.

I return to the cabin. My sweet little towel animal greets me from the bed. I undress and get ready for be. Not too intoxicated, just relaxed. I open the curtains so I can be awakened by the rising sun. Step out onto the balcony and view the lights of some nearby ships. Cruise ship? Freighters? Does not matter. Something about watching the water, the sounds of the waves, imagining the life on the distant ships. I am easily amused. Once again, I hang my breakfast card on the door and retire. Sleep well . Tomorrow: KEY WEST. (It is also St. Paddy's Day!) ...to be continued.....

(Continued) Tuesday, March 17, Saint Patricks Day and we are now in Key West. Beautiful Key West. Lovely Key West. AND, it is St. Paddy's Day too. Time for the wearing of the green!

I again asked for room service to be delivered at 6:00 AM so I could enjoy coffee on the balcony. This is one of my cruise rituals. Actually, when the weather is pleasant, I enjoy morning coffee outside where ever I am. This is so relaxing, and the port at Key West is welcoming.

At 7:00 AM I meet up with my friends down the hall and we head up to the gym fora little work out. The key to getting use of the machines is to get there early. Quite a throng of people there already, but we manage. I do about 15 minutes on an treadmill. I manage to get some leg lifts done too as well as some upper body arm exercise.

Being St. Paddy's we are decked out in our green. I had a cheap green, light up KISS ME I'M IRISH T0shirt bought on sale at Walgreens. It lasted through the workout, then was trash. I have back up green for the day.

We return to the cabins and clean up and dress for breakfast and the day in port. I like breakfast in the Main Dining Room better than brunch. I don't know why....

Today I had Corned Beef Hash, poached eggs, and hash browns. My friends had an excursion booked for one of the beaches. I was going to ad lib it and do a hop on/hop off trolly and see the Truman Little White House.

Exiting the ship, there were many, many options to book an excursion for the day independent from the Carnival offerings. I approached a couple of Hop On/Hop Off kiosks, but passed on them, deciding to walk into the town a bit. I got to view the various trollies coming and going and I think I got a good deal on one that proved easy to catch, AND included a discount admission to the Truman White House. This was my main focus for the day. The Truman Little White house is very near the pier, but a little difficult to locate. You actually have to walk inot a development area and go way back to get to the actual building. I found myself invading a condo complex, but the people were very friendly guiding me to the actual former Truman residence. This tour took about an hour and a half to two hours, but the tour guide was excellent, and the museum is very interesting to a history buff. I also gleamed some information on the old Key West. When I left, I hopped on a trolly and began an island tour, with an eye out for lunch spots as I was feeling peckish. I became engrossed in the narration of the tour guide and missed some opportunities for lunch. I did get off at the most souther point in the US for a photo opp, and grabbed a chile dog at a little shop. They had outdoor seating, and it was nice to bask in the warm sun for a snack. I did not want to eat a big lunch as tonight was the CHEF'S TABLE dinner, and I wanted to have a good appetite to enjoy all of the offerings presented. I have been doing this now for several cruises and always look forward to it. More on this in a bit.

Now I hopped back on the trolly and finished the tour of the island and returned to the ship. It was just an hour before our "on board time", and the line was rather long waiting to go through the security check. It afforded some nice conversation however with other passengers as we stood in line.

Once back on the ship, I really appreciated the location of the Cove Balcony Cabin. I did not have to wait for an elevator, I could just go up the stairs to my deck. Very easy. Then, once in the cabin, I had a great view of the people coming back onto the ship, including the longer line than what I was in!

A little rest and then it is time to sail. I go back out on the balcony to see if there are any pier runners coming. The gangway is being readied to be lifted, and who do I see moseying up? Our two ladies from dinner. Drinks in hand. oblivious to the pending closing of the gangway. We ran into them later in the evening and they swore they were on board early, hours before due. I had checked my watch however, and it was ten (10) minutes past On Board time. Just little know observations about well mentioned people.

All right, now the chef's Table! This is a special dinner offered to twelve people. The demand was great enough that there were two (2) scheduled for the week. Ours was this evening, Tuesday. I met another woman in the elevator and hers was scheduled for Friday. tonight however, was all ours. We were directed via letter to meet in the VIBE lounge at 6:15 PM. There we met our fellow diners for the nigh and were served bubbles and some tasty nibbles: Mango Sphere on a Rosemary Biscuit, Salmon Tartar Cornets with Sesame Seeds, Beef Capaccio on an Air Pillow with chocolate bacon and apple ribbons and a double Cooked Lamb Tapioca.

Once assembled, we are taken down to deck three (3) and begin the tour of the galley. We are ushered into the main galley, past the serving stations to a spot where a lovely table os set up behind stantions, as elegantly set as the main dining room.

The Menu:

*Beet Blanket Spiced Grape Tea, Asparagus, Cauliflower, Honey Carrot Tian, Mache, Lemon Streusel.

*Crab Stack. corn Custard, Polenta Cracker, Tangerine, Passion Caviar

*Duck Textures. Creamy Quinoa, Parmesan Churros, Olive Snow, Port Wine Jus

*Bisque Our Way. Two tomatoes, Three Basil, Crisped Brioche, Garlic Chip

*Sea Bass.Chorizo Crust, Fried Popcorn Pudding, Lemon Macaroon, Lobster Foam. (THIS WAS FANTASTIC. IF SEX WS ANY BETTER, YOU COULD NOT STAND IT.)

*Wagyu. Bone Marrow Souffle, Scallion and Garlic Panisse, Gremolata Crisp

*Pastry Chef. Sea Salt Praline Chocolate, Raaberry Mojito, Key Lime Cake, Apricot Vanilla Gel, Citrus Cream.

Unlimited red and white wines offered throughout the meal. The cost: $75.00 per person, and worh every penny in my opinion. We were given a break mid way through the meal to see and learn the preparation of the signature chocolate melting cake. We also received a souvenir photo of the group with the chef.

We waddled out of the galley and made our way to the Piano Bar. Peter was not performing there tonight. He was however hanging out there along with one of the Shore Excursion ladies , so i had the opportunity to make nice nice and get to know them better. A speed dating activity was going on in this venue tonight, and it was interesting to watch the contestants. Since there was no piano going on, we made our way to Ocean Plaza down the way and watched the Karoke Competition. One of the men from the tasting dinner was competing for the role of Garth Brooks for the Legends Show later in the week. We cheered him on. He was very, very good. Much more so than some of the other entrants. He made it to the final show. More on that later!

Now, we met up with our late boarding ladies and let me say, they were having a good time. Very good time. Well, we all were. One wass interested in finding a man. She was making a play for one at the bar in the casino. She was not getting though to him. I decided to go along with her and feed her pick up lines. Alas, she was too shy to use them. I however, was not. Pity , the man was not interested in either one of us. Undeterred, we circulated the casino for other prospects. We passed a black jack table and we watched a bit of the action, then I asked one man how to play and get into the game. He was so very kind. I had never played before, and he gave me ten dollars of chips for my first hand. I won! I was able to pay him back and keep in the game. I won again. And again. And again......I managed to accumulate about $120.00 in winnings! Paid for some tips. By this time, our other friends had disappeared. Probably past their bed time. It was past mine, almost 3:00 AM at this point. I was pumped and could have stayed up all night, but I was a good boy...sort of....and retired to the cabin. Filled out the breakfast card. Went to bed. Tomorrow: FREEPORT. (to be continued)

Checking in here. Saturday night....going out but will be writing more later. UPCOMING: Port Day KEY WEST and the CHEF'S TASTING DINNER and George plays Black Jack for the first time.:cool:

Grat review, can't wait to heat about The Chef's Table. We are doing it on the Glory in 4 short weeks.

Loving your review so far, we were your Cove neighbor in 2297 that week. IMO the Cove Balcony is the best spot on the ship. I think The Behind the Fun Tour and Chrefs Table both sound fun. Next time I'd like to do both.

We are booked in 2297 and 2293 in June. Can you tell me if there are lifeboats above or if there was a break in the lifeboats at these rooms? Thanks!

We are booked in 2297 and 2293 in June. Can you tell me if there are lifeboats above or if there was a break in the lifeboats at these rooms? Thanks!

There is no life boat over 2297 the only annoyance and it was minor is on Debarkation Day the catwalk to customs is directly above. It was loud, but hey we were up and ready for or number to be called. The rest of time it was fantastic. 2297 is the very middle balcony under the walkway.

9286c4e8bacd91eb2e285a0967ac9b4c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no life boat over 2297 the only annoyance and it was minor is on Debarkation Day the catwalk to customs is directly above. It was loud, but hey we were up and ready for or number to be called. The rest of time it was fantastic. 2297 is the very middle balcony under the walkway.

9286c4e8bacd91eb2e285a0967ac9b4c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the response and for posting the picture!

OP- Sorry to highjack your awesome review.

I am trying to decide if I want to do the East out of Galveston it will be the end of January 2016. Just afraid it might be to cold then we probably won't be going in the water but looking around. I will have my parents with me and they both have scooters which cruise would be a easier one to do as far as ports? Not sure if they can even take them off the ship.