Hiking in Santorini

KKMurphy2

Would you suggest going from Fira to Oia or the other direction? Is it possible to hike both ways and still return to the ship in time? What transportation means do you use to get to Oia to start the trip or return to Fira after arriving in Oia?

• 2 weeks later...

We walked Fira to Oia. There is probably less uphill this way. We managed to get on the first tender and caught the cable car (maybe 5 - 10 min wait). We were 2nd ship in. In Fira about 10. when we reached Oia had lunch and a wander around and then caught the public bus back to Fira(Taxi's also available). We were in port 9 till 6. It is a lovely walk but gets very hot climbing the last hill before decending into Oia.

We walked Fira to Oia. There is probably less uphill this way. We managed to get on the first tender and caught the cable car (maybe 5 - 10 min wait). We were 2nd ship in. In Fira about 10. when we reached Oia had lunch and a wander around and then caught the public bus back to Fira(Taxi's also available). We were in port 9 till 6. It is a lovely walk but gets very hot climbing the last hill before decending into Oia.

What did you mean when you said "in Fira about 10"? Is it easy to find a bus back and do the bus drivers speak English? Cost? My spouse has some trouble walking - is it far from Fira to Ola?

Thanks for your info.

"my spouse has some trouble walking" - this is at least a medium level walk about and that is just the portion from Fira to about a half way point. IMO to do Fira to Oia in both directions would be a lot for a day in port, if even doable. We started in Fira, probably walked about an hour to about the half way point., then exited the path along the crater and walked alng the road. We did this on Oct. 30 - it was warm to hot. The first part of the walk from Fira you are going past restaurants and hotels - you can stop for rest or refreshments but I think after that it's a fair trek to Oia and not so many resting points.

You have to get up to Fira from your ship - cable car, donkey or climb the stinky donkey path. If you get to Oia, getting back by public bus should not be difficult - they run fairly frequently and plenty of English is spoken on the island.

But I might suggest you rethink this if your spouse has difficult walking - I am a sort of fit for 60 and it was no stroll in the park. When are you going - factor in the heat level. I know other younger folks from out ship did go from Fira to Oia but they passed us, really booking it. I don't know if they did both directions.

The hike from Fira to Oia will take about 3-3.5 hours, and that accounts for photo ops (PLENTY!!) and a snack/lunch break. It is not a hike for anyone with difficulty walking. It's not strenuous, but after the first portion, you will not be walking on pavement or walkways.

It is a spectacular hike!