11 night Ultimate Caribbean on Equinox

hisfirstm8

We have always wanted to do a Panama Canal cruise, but can't take the time off to go on a 14 day cruise from Florida to California thru the canal. Has anyone take the 11 night Ultimate Caribbean cruise. If so, did you like it. I'm not sure it goes into the locks, but it looks like there is an excursion that take you into the locks. All the ports look interesting and the price is good. Any ideas or suggestions. Thank!!!

Barbara

We did this in 09 and enjoyed it very much. In panama we did the canal trip where you are taken by bus about half way and get on a boat and ride through the locks to the pacific side and bus back. Had a great time.

Just to be clear, this cruise does not enter the Canal Zone, but instead docks at the Colon Pier (basically, almost downtown Colon). I believe from what you have written that you understand this but many, many people get this mixed-up due to a lack of understanding or because of confusing wording by some cruise lines. "Partial transit" is a big confuser for example.

A word of caution. Take the ships excursion, they will wait for you. We did this cruise last year and there were 7 busses returning to the ship an hour after sail away time and Celebrity sailed immediately once the last bus was unloaded. Anyone on a private excursion coming to port after the last Celebrity bus unloaded would have missed the sail away.

We took this in December 2014. Fantastic cruise and the Panama Canal was the highlight for me. Take the ship's excursion. There are so many variables with getting through the locks that I can't imagine the stress of taking a private tour.

The buffet lunch isn't that great so you will want to plan ahead. They had a bologna-type sandwich, a rice dish and some muffins served in a very casual style. That didn't impact my complete enjoyment of the excursion. Seeing (and feeling) the canal was amazing.