What does the port in Falmouth Jamaica look like?

sweetshell637

A lot of shops as well as a Margaritaville.

I recommend a ship sponsored excursion if you choose to go outside of this port area......

Read a lot of reviews about Falmouth and a lot of people says its unsafe outside the portarea. We were thinking about the Red Stripe Beach sponsored by the ship. Then we found resort for a day.com. Its an organized tour but not a "Royal Caribbean tour"

Any thoughts or experiences? Consider us as first time cruisers, since we just cruised once, 20 years ago, without the kids. Never been to Jamaica before and would like to enjoy the beach during our stop.

Read a lot of reviews about Falmouth and a lot of people says its unsafe outside the portarea. We were thinking about the Red Stripe Beach sponsored by the ship. Then we found resort for a day.com. Its an organized tour but not a "Royal Caribbean tour"

Any thoughts or experiences? Consider us as first time cruisers, since we just cruised once, 20 years ago, without the kids. Never been to Jamaica before and would like to enjoy the beach during our stop.

We went to Jewel Runaway Bay Beach Resort in Jamaica & booked it through Resort for a Day. The resort was nice & clean & the staff was very welcoming.

The beach was beautiful & the pools were nice.

They have a water park that opened shortly after we were there.

The glass bottom boat ride was great but you need to sign up for it as soon as you get there.

The food was very good & the drinks were plentiful.

The only negative was it is 45 minutes away (transportation is included in the price of the day pass) so we were only there from 10-2:30.

Here is a link to the review I am doing if you want to see it. Falmouth starts on page 6. I hope to finish my review & add a lot more pics tomorrow when it rains. :D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2181064

Juli

Read a lot of reviews about Falmouth and a lot of people says its unsafe outside the portarea.

Any thoughts or experiences?

I can only give my own experience for what it's worth. I walked out of the "safe" area through the town, four miles to a beach and back. Then I walked back through town again. I acknowledged everyone I passed and everyone was friendly. A couple of people offered to sell me dope. When I said "no" that was it.

We had a tablemate scaring us about the "terrible danger" of Jamaica and how he would never go off the beaten tourist path. Then how would he know what he's talking about? He seemed like he was comfortable only with people exactly like himself and had low expectations for anybody different. I've seen a bit too much of that in my life. Fortunately I ignored his "information" and went out and treated the people like human beings and was treated that way in return. Surprise.

I will say that I live in a big city and I'm comfortable with all the various kinds of people in it. More particularly, I'm not afraid of them just because they're different. Fear can advertise itself, and if you walk around afraid you may project yourself in a different way.

I don't deny that crime can happen anywhere. But the chance of it happening to any particular individual is pretty low. I did not get the impression that crime or hostility was so prevalent in Falmouth that a prudent person couldn't visit safely. I got the opposite impression. That is based on only one experience, but it is experience and not hearsay - or low expectations.

I can only give my own experience for what it's worth. I walked out of the "safe" area through the town, four miles to a beach and back. Then I walked back through town again. I acknowledged everyone I passed and everyone was friendly. A couple of people offered to sell me dope. When I said "no" that was it.

We had a tablemate scaring us about the "terrible danger" of Jamaica and how he would never go off the beaten tourist path. Then how would he know what he's talking about? He seemed like he was comfortable only with people exactly like himself and had low expectations for anybody different. I've seen a bit too much of that in my life. Fortunately I ignored his "information" and went out and treated the people like human beings and was treated that way in return. Surprise.

I will say that I live in a big city and I'm comfortable with all the various kinds of people in it. More particularly, I'm not afraid of them just because they're different. Fear can advertise itself, and if you walk around afraid you may project yourself in a different way.

I don't deny that crime can happen anywhere. But the chance of it happening to any particular individual is pretty low. I did not get the impression that crime or hostility was so prevalent in Falmouth that a prudent person couldn't visit safely. I got the opposite impression. That is based on only one experience, but it is experience and not hearsay - or low expectations.

This is exactly our experience in Jamaica. "Fortunately I ignored his "information" and went out and treated the people like human beings and was treated that way in return. Surprise."

Excellent attitude and comment.

We were just in Jamaica a week or so ago with another couple. The weather was not that great so the wife and I stayed in the port but our friends did the Red Stripe Beach excursion. They said the beach was alright, probably would have been better if the weather was nicer (overcast and drizzle at times). There are bathrooms there as well as a place to get food and drinks. I believe the beach is only available thru an excursion, and is not open to the general public. Also the shuttles between the beach and Falmouth run fairly frequently.

Hope this helps.

Craig

We went to Jewel Runaway Bay Beach Resort in Jamaica & booked it through Resort for a Day. The resort was nice & clean & the staff was very welcoming.

The beach was beautiful & the pools were nice.

They have a water park that opened shortly after we were there.

The glass bottom boat ride was great but you need to sign up for it as soon as you get there.

The food was very good & the drinks were plentiful.

The only negative was it is 45 minutes away (transportation is included in the price of the day pass) so we were only there from 10-2:30.

Here is a link to the review I am doing if you want to see it. Falmouth starts on page 6. I hope to finish my review & add a lot more pics tomorrow when it rains. :D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2181064

Juli

Thank you so much for answering! And for sharing the review and pictures!

It means a lot for a "first time cruiser" like me to get this kind of information! We are trying to get familiar with the destinations to hopefully make the best of our time in the ports :)

We were just in Jamaica a week or so ago with another couple. The weather was not that great so the wife and I stayed in the port but our friends did the Red Stripe Beach excursion. They said the beach was alright, probably would have been better if the weather was nicer (overcast and drizzle at times). There are bathrooms there as well as a place to get food and drinks. I believe the beach is only available thru an excursion, and is not open to the general public. Also the shuttles between the beach and Falmouth run fairly frequently.

Hope this helps.

Craig

Thanks for answering! All info is helpful to a first-time-cruiser!:)

• 2 weeks later...

We are booked with Resort for a Day next month to go to Hilton Rose Hall. The reviews are excellent as is the reputation for the company. I will be posting a full review upon my return. Hopefully, I can help alleviate a few fears at that time. As an able bodies person who loves to travel I cannot see going to a port without experiencing some of it in the limited time we have as cruise ship passengers. I try to maximze my experience by going with reputable operators who know the ins and outs of their own areas.