How is Norwegian with Gluten Free?

lukydog

We are considering sailing on the Norwegian Sun to Alaska and have never sailed NCL before. My husband has Celiac Disease and has to eat gluten free. Would love to hear from anyone that has sailed NCL and must be gluten free. How did they do? Thanks!

We are considering sailing on the Norwegian Sun to Alaska and have never sailed NCL before. My husband has Celiac Disease and has to eat gluten free. Would love to hear from anyone that has sailed NCL and must be gluten free. How did they do? Thanks!

I don't have Celiac disease, just a sensitivity, so it's not as serious for me. I let NCL know before my cruise in October that I needed GL options, and I'd also purchased UDP. I had a letter (I can't remember if I got it in the mail or if it was in my stateroom, sorry) that instructed me to talk with the Restaurant Manger or his assistant. I did that and he was great and talked to me about the different restaurants I'd chosen. At each restaurant, there were GF option for me, including pizza and pasta at some. I felt they handled it really well. I never lacked options to choose from!

We sailed with a friend who had Celiac Disease and she said she made arrangements during the online check in that asks about allergies and special accommodations. She then followed up once on board with the Restaurant Manager and the Concierge/Butler. She was in a Suite. She stated the food was good and the bread she was served was tasty and she had quite a variety of food. We had many meals and excursions together and she did great with no repercussions.

Have fun and when in doubt it doesn't hurt to mention this when ordering a meal. Better safe than sorry.

I was very impressed with them. They called my cabin early in the afternoon of the first day, asked where I would be dining, and had me come pick my dinner. They said I could do this every day, or, if I knew where I was eating the night before, just order my meal for the next day. I never had a problem. Gluten free bread was always available for toast and sandwiches, in any of the restaurants or buffets. My dinners were always very good. I did not feel like I was missing out on anything at all. Also, your room key will be coded with the food allergy. Every time my card was scanned, it came up - so the servers always knew without me having to tell them.

Edited by SissasMomE

We just got off the STAR on Easter. My DW is gluten sensitive and we had nothing but problems. I will be posting a review shortly (currently taking out the cuss words) which will detail how bad the system worked for us.

DW ordered her meals the day before and both times when we went to Versailles, we were told that the choices the Maitre D' told us could be prepared as gluten free, could in fact not be prepared that way. When she asked for gluten free bread, it was available, in another restaurant. So someone would go get it and it would only take 20 minutes or so.

DW ordered gluten free french toast and they brought a frozen waffle heated in a microwave and said the french toast was "expired". Apparently the waffles and french toast (gluten free type) are brought aboard frozen then heated for serving. I talked to the head chef at the buffet and explained how easy it was to make fresh french toast using gluten free bread. He seemed completely lost about i. I asked him to try the waffle that looked like a wet dishrag. He did not want to.

He returned later with fresh made french toast and was beaming with price. DW said it tasted great. The chef did say he tried the waffles and they were not very good.

We ended up eating almost all meals in the buffet where grilled veggies and plain rice were readily available. We were very underwhelmed with the ability of the staff to provide gluten free offerings and to even know what items had gluten.