What to Bring to Pool or Beach

LuCruise

For those wtih kids who either can't swim yet or not strong swimmers, or even kids who do swim, what do you bring with you for the pool or beach (if anything at all)?

My younger one will be 6.5 a year from now and she currently doesn't swim (lessons are going slowly as she won't put her face in the water). My older one will be 9.5 next year and he's on "ok" swimmer.

So I'll probably bring water wings or a tube for my younger one (if they fit her as she's not a toddler) and perhaps a beach ball or some kind of blow up float. It's hard to tell what various beaches actually rent out (e.g. mats, floats, etc)

How about others?

Edited by LuCruise

You won't find rental "toys" at the beaches...so bring what you need. Kids are pretty happy with a plastic cup and and a stick to dig with...you don't have to go overboard (no pun intended) with toys. Kid's have imaginations...and given the opportunity, use it well!

If you want floats, there are cheap, blow up ones....leave them behind on the trip home, if you want!

You won't be able to use "toys" in the ship's pools...they are too small.. Water wings are fine, but tubes and floats are out. The ship provides towels for pool and beach use. No need to bring that!!! The pools aren't that deep...even a 6+ year old should be able to stand without problem! (BTW, I still hate putting my face in the water!!!)

Edited by cb at sea

My kids were 7/8 on our last cruise and they will be 8/9 on our next.

I found on the last cruise they had very little interest in sand toys. I usually would pack a few buckets/pails, shovels and molds. Stuff them with clothes/socks/hats in the suitcase so they don't waste space. My daughter seemed more interested in finding shells.

You need all the usual snacks/drinks/sunscreen/hats/glasses.

I bought this years ago, and it travels on every trip with us.

http://www.ticketothemoon.com/content/beach-blanket

It is VERY lightweight, and fits into that little pouch you see in the picture. Takes almost no room in a suitcase and weighs nothing. We use it for picnics too. I think I paid a lot more for it many years ago (bought it when the kids were babes) and it was worth every penny.

Depending on what beach you go to, you can rent water toys (motorized or not) such as water trampolines, climbing walls etc. It usually about $20/kid, but EVERYTHING is negotiable :D. Sometimes our kids are in the mood for it and sometimes they are not.

My kids are both strong swimmers, but they don't really swim in the ocean. They usually hang off their dad or play in the waves.

When my son was little he would take 2 cups n try to catch fish..... So glad he never was fast enough to catch any, it would have broke his heart when we told him he couldn't keep them! ;)

Needless to say, kids find all sorts of unexpected things to do! I wouldn't worry about ur kids not being able to swim well at the beach.... Let them play in the surf, problem solved! As far as the pool goes.... Again, they find games to play n friends to play with. One thing I would suggest is a pair of goggles for each child. My kids always wore them. Maybe ur daughter would feel more secure putting her face in the water with them. I would invest in a good pair at the beginning of each summer ( usually at a sporting goods store like Dicks) and they would last all summer!

Enjoy ur cruise!

Jacki

I second the puddle jumpers! We carry along one for each of our four kids. I make them wear them even if they are only going ankle deep at the beach. It's as much for my peace of mind as it is for them - It's easier to spot them and do a head count when they're all wearing their "floaties" and I can at least know that if something were to happen to one of them (a fall into the deep end of the pool, or a wave at the beach that's comes in farther than expected) I'll have a few extra seconds to grab them.

We don't use their floaties as a substitute for complete adult supervision, but things can happen in an instant. I feel better with the floaties. If I could get my non-swimming husband to wear them, I would!

It's a pain to haul the giant bag of floaties when we go on excursions, or head out to the pool, but we've never been anywhere where we could have rented any sort of water toy. Sand toys can usually be picked up locally, but having spent time with the kids trying to build sandcastles with a plastic spoon and a disposable coffee cup, I'd rather set aside space in the suitcase for a few dollars worth of shovels and pails than risk not finding a place to buy them.

The kids have Carnival nylon backpacks that we have set to fit even the youngest (2 years) and they each carry their own 2-3 sand toys. It keeps the beach sand contained, and we can just cinch up the packs and wait till we're home to unload the extra sand.

By far, my favorite thing to have on hand at the beach is baby powder. My kids manage to get so coated in sand that even a shower or foot rinse doesn't stand a chance of getting them sand-free. Baby powder helps you to get the sand out of sensitive nooks and crannies. Not so necessary at the pool, but we don't head to the beach without it!

I second the puddle jumpers! We carry along one for each of our four kids. I make them wear them even if they are only going ankle deep at the beach. It's as much for my peace of mind as it is for them - It's easier to spot them and do a head count when they're all wearing their "floaties" and I can at least know that if something were to happen to one of them (a fall into the deep end of the pool, or a wave at the beach that's comes in farther than expected) I'll have a few extra seconds to grab them.

We don't use their floaties as a substitute for complete adult supervision, but things can happen in an instant. I feel better with the floaties. If I could get my non-swimming husband to wear them, I would!

It's a pain to haul the giant bag of floaties when we go on excursions, or head out to the pool, but we've never been anywhere where we could have rented any sort of water toy. Sand toys can usually be picked up locally, but having spent time with the kids trying to build sandcastles with a plastic spoon and a disposable coffee cup, I'd rather set aside space in the suitcase for a few dollars worth of shovels and pails than risk not finding a place to buy them.

The kids have Carnival nylon backpacks that we have set to fit even the youngest (2 years) and they each carry their own 2-3 sand toys. It keeps the beach sand contained, and we can just cinch up the packs and wait till we're home to unload the extra sand.

By far, my favorite thing to have on hand at the beach is baby powder. My kids manage to get so coated in sand that even a shower or foot rinse doesn't stand a chance of getting them sand-free. Baby powder helps you to get the sand out of sensitive nooks and crannies. Not so necessary at the pool, but we don't head to the beach without it!

Good tip about the baby powder. Never heard of that but I may bring some along then and try it.

And thank you both for the puddle jumper. Guess it's similar to a

life jacket?

Puddle jumpers are great, but your kids seem a little old for them. Yes, they are US Coast Guard approved life vests.

Am I correct in reading that you are not cruising for another year? How about some swim lessons until then so your kids are able to enjoy the beach and pools without a puddle jumper on.

Puddle jumpers are great, but your kids seem a little old for them. Yes, they are US Coast Guard approved life vests.

Am I correct in reading that you are not cruising for another year? How about some swim lessons until then so your kids are able to enjoy the beach and pools without a puddle jumper on.

Yes, we have my DD in private swimming lessons and plan on continuing, but the progression is very slow and don't think she'll be able to swim by next year. Even if she can a bit, I'd be more comfortable with her wearing something at the beach and even in the "donut" pool on the Allure.

Puddle Jumper is worth the hassle if your child isn't too big for it. We take inflatable pool noodles which are great for adults and kids as well. Depending on which port you are going to you may be able to find some beaches that are very shallow and calm for hundreds of yards out.

I'm bringing a swim vest for my 5 year old. It's good for up to 60lbs I think so should be ok for most 6 year olds. It's a smaller profile than a regular life vest, which is all you will need in salt water (kids are way more boyant in the salt water due to the density). My daughter is also very slow to learn to swim due to sensory issues around the water and her face. She has been in lessons since was 3, special needs lessons for the past year. Not really close to swimming. Not a motor issue, just... squeamish.

• 1 month later...
I'm bringing a swim vest for my 5 year old. It's good for up to 60lbs I think so should be ok for most 6 year olds. It's a smaller profile than a regular life vest, which is all you will need in salt water (kids are way more boyant in the salt water due to the density). My daughter is also very slow to learn to swim due to sensory issues around the water and her face. She has been in lessons since was 3, special needs lessons for the past year. Not really close to swimming. Not a motor issue, just... squeamish.

Old post of mine, but just re-reading.

I think some kind of life jacket is good for little ones at the beach. The waves can be strong or they can fall down at any point (or sand can drop without your realizing). I'll pick one up for my younger one at least.

Hopefully we can find some blow up raft or something that they can play with. And there is the good old beach ball.