Canadian dollar

disneykins

Is it possible to book through NCL in Canadian dollars? Our dollar has dropped significantly and I have recently booked a Royal Caribbean cruise (they offered a 1.10 exchange rate, much better than the banks 1.25 or more). I read on the Royal boards that NCL was offering a similar deal, anyone here know for sure? NCL website doesn't say anything about booking in CAD.

Thanks,

Tony

I can confirm that it is. We put our deposit down last week, and were able to book in CAD directly through NCL. NCL has the same exchange rate as RCCL, 1.10. Muuuuch better than the current CAD exchange rate :)

To the best of my understanding, when you put your deposit down, that locks in the rate, which also should protect us if the dollar drops even further. My PCC recommended also pre-paying gratuities and shore excursions, as that would allow us to pay in CAD using their exchange rate, whereas if you wait and pay on the cruise, it goes through your credit card at whatever the current exchange rate is at that time.

Is it possible to book through NCL in Canadian dollars? Our dollar has dropped significantly and I have recently booked a Royal Caribbean cruise (they offered a 1.10 exchange rate, much better than the banks 1.25 or more). I read on the Royal boards that NCL was offering a similar deal, anyone here know for sure? NCL website doesn't say anything about booking in CAD.

Thanks,

Tony

Absolutely and currently they are charging only 11% as an exchange rate. I know because we booked the Getaway a couple of weeks ago this way. The way our Canadian Dollar is going, you're probably going to be pretty well off booking on NCL in Canadian dollars. In order for you to come out on the losing end of that deal, the dollar would have to surge back up to around 93 cents USD. Not much chance of that happening any time soon.

I have had a booking on the NCL Getaway for months. However, as people are prone to do, I was playing around with booking online looking to upgrade our cabin. I found a cabin I fell in love with at a price I thought I could afford. It was not displayed whether the price was CAD or USD. I called NCL, and the gentleman on the phone was so apologetic when he explained that the price was actually in USD and I would have to pay the exchange. My heart sank a little because the current exchange rate that day ($1.30) would have put the cabin way out of my budget. When he told me the NCL exchange rate was only $1.10, my jaw hit the floor and I scrambled for my credit card to put down a deposit. :D Way way way better than the bank rate!

I have a land vacation coming up in Mexico next month. Due to the crazy exchange rate going through the roof, the price I will end up paying for that is $900 more than when I originally booked the trip in October of last year. :eek::eek::eek: Oh, for the good old days when we were almost at par...

Edited by Saraphine

We did this as well, we're booked on the Gem for November. We're going to prepay our service charges and excursions as well and buy on board credit before we go on the cruise to be able to take advantage of the good exchange rate. They will refund you what you don't use in OBC.

Living in the states I want to book in Canadian funds too. 1 usd = 1.25 cad then 1.1 cad = 1 usd with the ncl conversion. Just made 15 cents on every dollar. Even in the banks take a percent or two that could be an easy 10% savings.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

As a fellow Canadian. I just booked the Epic on the Med for next year. I would like to over estimate how much I might need and prepay before departure. If I don't use the whole lot, can I cash out while on board or do I get a refund after the cruise? I saw someone mentioned they would also pull out spending $. I am wondering how that can be done? I would appreciate any tips you experts have to keep the exchange down. It's a killer right now!

Thanks!