Venice transportation

realtrip

Hi

I remember reading somewhere about a travel card that covers both the bus (ATVO) from the airport to Piazzale Roma and return and also a vaporetta pass ( we'd like a 48 hour pass).

My questions:

Is it a good idea to get this from home?

Will it be easy to figure out where to exchange a print out for an actual ticket if we do pre-purchase?

Is it cost effective?

And most important, lol, can you remind me of the web site to get this?

Thanks bunches. So excited for Venice!

We are not aware of any such travel card. There are some travel "cards" that cover using the local ACTV bus from the airport plus the Vaporettos. But the ACTV bus is just the local bus (it makes many stops) which is primarily used by locals to get to and from work. The ACTV bus (this is the same company that operates the Vaporettos) does not have any underneath luggage storage and the driver is permitted to limit passengers to only small carry-ons they can store on their lap.

As to passes, there is a relatively expensive pass called the Venezia Unica City Pass, but this is generally not recommended for short stays. But if you are interested their web site is at:

http://www.veneziaunica.it/en/e-commerce/services

This pass does let you add the slower local ACTV bus....but not the nice express ATVO bus.

There are also various ACTV passes (for various time frames) some of which do include that ACTV bus from the airport.

Our personal recommendation is to use the ATVO Bus which is a luxury coach, has plenty of luggage storage, is a non-stop express between the airport and P. Roma, and which runs every 20 minutes from right out front of the terminal. You can buy ATVO tickets at the vending machine located right at the bus stop (on the curb) and I think they will also sell you a ticket inside the terminal building at a Kiosk near the luggage pick-up area.

Hank