Tons of cruising Experience and it's All New to Me........

sail7seas

It's kind of fun that I am feeling like a real cruise 'newbie' though I've been on about 90+ cruises all totaled, all lines.

With my first cruises upcoming on NCL, I have the usual 'newbie' questions that are so basic but hopefully someone will be patient and help with my questions?

* What hours does Cagney's serve breakfast? How about Lunch?

* If I want to carry a glass of wine back to my cabin, is that okay? (I have the UBP.)

* Does NCL provide hair dryers? Are they adequate for short hair?

* Will Dawn provide bar soap at the sink? How about shampoo? Is it satisfactory quality for most of us or should I bring my own?

* Does NCL provide trays in the buffet? What is the name of their buffet area?

* I was told there is a cordless phone I can carry around the ship to contact my friends if I wish. Do all cabins have that or only Suites?

I have more questions :o but don't want to be a real nuisance. I'll save some for later.

Thanks anyone who is agreeable to answering this 'newbies' dumb questions. :D How many times I have answered these same questions on HAL forum and never thought I'd be asking them. :D

Edited by sail7seas

It's kind of fun that I am feeling like a real cruise 'newbie' though I've been on about 90+ cruises all totaled, all lines.

With my first cruises upcoming on NCL, I have the usual 'newbie' questions that are so basic but hopefully someone will be patient and help with my questions?

* What hours does Cagney's serve breakfast? How about Lunch?

It doesn't unless you're in a Suite on a ship without a haven restaurant (I think).

* If I want to carry a glass of wine back to my cabin, is that okay? (I have the UBP.)

Yes

* Does NCL provide hair dryers? Are they adequate for short hair?

Yes

* Will Dawn provide bar soap at the sink? How about shampoo? Is it satisfactory quality for most of us or should I bring my own?
On the ships I've been on they only have the liquid stuff out of dispensers, you may want to bring your own bar soap. When I was on the Dawn a year and a half ago there was no bar soap in the cabin although I heard it might be possible to request one from the cabin steward, not sure if that's still true.

* Does NCL provide trays in the buffet? What is the name of their buffet area?

No trays, Garden Café.

* I was told there is a cordless phone I can carry around the ship to contact my friends if I wish. Do all cabins have that or only Suites?

No, at least not in normal rooms, can't speak to suites.

I have more questions :o but don't want to be a real nuisance. I'll save some for later.

Thanks anyone who is agreeable to answering this 'newbies' dumb questions. :D How many times I have answered these same questions on HAL forum and never thought I'd be asking them. :D

Thanks, so much.

I am in a Suite on Dawn and was told I could have breakfast and lunch in Cagney's if I wished??

I don't think there is a Haven on Dawn.

Is there a safe for valuables in the cabins?

WiFi in cabins?

Edited by sail7seas

Welcome you were always a big help to me when I sailed HAL. You will love the suite life of NCL. The bar soap and all other bathrooma amenities are Elemis we love their products, bar soap shampoo, conditioner, lotion, shower gel. All great stuff.

There is a hair dryer very adequate. There is a safe. Wifi is available you will have to purchase an Internet package, not sure about the Dawn but on other ships pretty good speed,

Not sure about the hours of Cagney's breakfast we always order it to the room through the butler. I think it is until 9:30 or 10.

The cordless phine is suites only and you can also call the concierge or butler with it. Of course you can call anyone's room you want.

You can take your glass of wine back to the room with you not a problem.

Hope you have an amazing trip. We are completely hooked on the Haven/Suite life of NCL

Thanks, so much.

I am in a Suite on Dawn and was told I could have breakfast and lunch in Cagney's if I wished??

WiFi in cabins?

Yes, Suites have Cagneys instead of Haven restaurant on the older ships. Yes there is a safe. Yes there is wifi but it is, like on other cruiselines, very slow and by the minute.

Thanks, so much.

WiFi in cabins?

Yes to Cagneys for Breakfast and Lunch.

Some of Dawn's newer Suites have the cordless phones. Not sure if the older ones have them now, but they did not ~3 years ago.

No Haven on the Dawn.

I think suites have bar soap in the bathroom.

There is a Safe in the cabin, maybe even two.

Sorry, don't recall about wifi.

Enjoy your trip!

Found you a youtube video showing the Cagney's suite breakfast. This happens to be from the Jade but it looks like what we've enjoyed on several Norwegian ships. Will say we never had such an empty restaurant but never had trouble getting seated. It is such a nice way to start the morning - really our very favorite suite perk.

Love the "mini buffet" to enjoy while waiting for the table ordered entree. The little chocolate croissants are really excellent. Love the fresh fruit options too. If you are not a fan of french press coffee you can request regular brewed.

Here are some answers to your questions.

Hours of Cagney's.

If my memory serves correctly breakfast 7 or 7:30 - 9. Lunch 12-1:30. One of the best perks. Usually quiet and relaxing. The menus do stay the same for breakfast & lunch.

Carrying a glass of wine?

?? Do not know never tried.

Hairdryers?

Yes there are hair dryers. I found them to work fine.

Soaps.

Love what they offer. Elemis products. They usually give you bar soap, shampoo, conditioner & lotion.

The buffet is the Garden Cafe. No I do not think they have trays.

Phones.

Yes there are cordless phones to carry. Depending on the suite you are in.

Yes there is a safe.

Do not know about wifi.

Hope some of this helps.

Edited by NJLVW

The BA has excellent wifi and there is what I consider a reasonable fee for mg usage

I used my wifi only iPad for texts emails surfing and audio FaceTime with no problem

Except when we were deep in the Bermuda Triangle. Not meant as a joke all I am saying us that it was so remote at one point that wifi was very sketchy for about 6 hours at most the entire 12 day cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The BA has excellent wifi and there is what I consider a reasonable fee for mg usage

I used my wifi only iPad for texts emails surfing and audio FaceTime with no problem

Except when we were deep in the Bermuda Triangle. Not meant as a joke all I am saying us that it was so remote at one point that wifi was very sketchy for about 6 hours at most the entire 12 day cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The OP is on the Dawn which does not have the mb package.