Money question

marchmom

I know answers will vary, but what would be an approximate amount of money to budget for a river cruise, leaning toward the higher end? We're doing Cities of Light, the end of May. A general amount for souvenirs, the meals not on the boat, etc., not including tip money (that amount is already set aside) is what I'm looking for. TIA!

Maybe I'm wrong but I'm assuming you're travelling Viking as they have a tour of that name

We spent very little cash on any of our river trips -- just a coffee and cakes in a cafe here and there, and only to get out of the cold and rain during 'free time' on coach trips.

Credit cards took care of everything else. On Viking you can pay your gratuities by card.

However, if you have left over Euros you don't want to take home Viking will take them all to pay for you bill (optional tours, bar drinks and gratuities) and you can pay rest with card.

All meals are included on trip. On last trip we arrived a day early and had dinner in a local restaurant and paid with card

Didn't buy any souvenirs, except for some bottles of wine at a street market, total cash spent <€50

Suggest you think about what type of souvenirs you're likely to get and whether you'll get them from a shop -- if so, you'll likely to pay with card.

Wendy, Cities of Light is what I mentioned in my post. We're starting in Paris, cruise through Germany, end in Prague. It's 12 days.

I don't plan on using a credit card during the trip unless necessary.

We enjoy meals off the ship when in port and some local pubs and wine bars as well.

Paris is quite expensive. We spent ~150E a day on meals, wine, transport while staying in Paris a few months ago.

I budget 50-60E per day for incidentals while on a river cruise. We probably do more off the ship than most though.

It is not unusual for us to hop on a train and take off for somewhere other than where we are docked, especially if we have been there before. We rarely, if ever, return to the ship until it is time to depart and never for lunch when we are in port; if we are docked overnight, we will return for dinner and then head back out.

Edited by caviargal