Ever miss a port due to weather or other issues?

I forget what port it was and even which cruise. A hurricane wiped out one of the ports we were supposed to visit about a month before our cruise. Sadly, we had pre-paid for an excursion at that port thru Carnival. I called Carnival pre-cruise and tried to get a refund with no luck. Argued with them for about a month after the cruise and finally got a refund to my debit card. About three months later, the charges showed back up on my card. Of course I had deleted all email and lost claim numbers etc., so I lost the last argument and they kept my money. We were just out the $200.

We were supposed to go to Samana, DR after St Thomas, but hurricane Sandy approached and we skipped it to get back to NY before the storm hit there.

Problem was that NY closed the port a few hours before we got there and we had to circle Nantucket for 3 days before docking in Boston (where we got off the ship, rented a car and drove home - we could have stayed on but they didn't know when they could dock in NY so we opted to just go home). So our 9 day cruise became a 12 day cruise.

I forget what port it was and even which cruise. A hurricane wiped out one of the ports we were supposed to visit about a month before our cruise. Sadly, we had pre-paid for an excursion at that port thru Carnival. I called Carnival pre-cruise and tried to get a refund with no luck. Argued with them for about a month after the cruise and finally got a refund to my debit card. About three months later, the charges showed back up on my card. Of course I had deleted all email and lost claim numbers etc., so I lost the last argument and they kept my money. We were just out the $200.

Carnival would not refund the cost of an excursion they sponsored in a port you missed? I have never heard of that. Anytime we have missed a port on Princess, they refunded the cost of any ship's tours without being asked. I would have thought that would be automatic with all lines.

Carnival would not refund the cost of an excursion they sponsored in a port you missed? I have never heard of that. Anytime we have missed a port on Princess, they refunded the cost of any ship's tours without being asked. I would have thought that would be automatic with all lines.

It was very strange and I suspect does not happen often. They insisted that we took the excursion. I kept telling them that we did not even make the port because it was no longer there. Likely a computer thing.

Had to go back and look it up. It was Costa Maya and Hurricane Dean (August 2007)

Edited by jbooth2099

It was very strange and I suspect does not happen often. They insisted that we took the excursion. I kept telling them that we did not even make the port because it was no longer there. Likely a computer thing.

Telephoning is always the easiest way to ask for a solution to a problem, followed by email; but a hard copy letter always gets the most attention/best response. Always keep a copy so you can follow up.