confused4now

we used limoinrome.com

for transfers and touring

the info at bottom..I copied this from his site for you

Rates:

Transfers from FCO Airport

"Leonardo Da Vinci" to Rome and Viceversa:

Deluxe sedan

Luxury minivan Luxury minivan MinibusDestinationUp to 4 Pax.Up to 5 Pax.Up to 8 Pax.Airport FCO Leonardo Da Vinci/Rome Euro 60Euro 60Euro 85

Transfers from Rome or FCO Airport

"Leonardo Da Vinci" to:

Deluxe sedan

Luxury minivan Luxury minivan MinibusDestinationUp to 3 Pax.Up to 5 Pax.Up to 8 Pax.Civitavecchia (Dock)Euro 130Euro 150Euro 170Naples/CapriEuro 350Euro 370Euro 430Sorrento, Positano, AmalfiEuro 400Euro 420Euro 500FlorenceEuro 450Euro 480Euro 520SienaEuro 450Euro 480Euro 520LuccaEuro 480Euro 500Euro 560AssisiEuro 340Euro 360Euro 420OrvietoEuro 210Euro 230Euro 300VeniceEuro 680Euro 700Euro 800

Rome Limousine Tour and Travel - Owned and operated by Claudio Caponera

Via Aldo Moro 37 00040 Castel Gandolfo, Rome - ITALY

+39069361440

E-mail: claudio@limoinrome.com

For those that enjoy train travel or are a little more budget oriented, one can take the train from Rome's Termini train station direct to Civitaveccchia where the train station is very close to the port, actually walking distance or a very very short taxi ride away. I forget exactly the fare, but I believe it was around 5 Euros/person. No traffic to contend with, just sit down and enjoy the scenery, it takes no longer than driving 1.5 - 2 hours and trains leave every hour or two. This is a link to the Italian train system:http://www.trenitalia.it/

Doug

For those that enjoy train travel or are a little more budget oriented, one can take the train from Rome's Termini train station direct to Civitaveccchia where the train station is very close to the port, actually walking distance or a very very short taxi ride away. I forget exactly the fare, but I believe it was around 5 Euros/person. No traffic to contend with, just sit down and enjoy the scenery, it takes no longer than driving 1.5 - 2 hours and trains leave every hour or two. This is a link to the Italian train system:http://www.trenitalia.it/

Doug

http://seekitaly.com/

This is a great site for Italy especially for their TRAVEL ALERTS (on right of page). Train info is good but there can always be a possible strike so it's good to check ahead of time, especially in Italy :)

The ship may suggest that the train service is problematical. Don't believe it. The trains are reasonably fast and on time. The advantage of first class is a reserved seat, but second class worked just fine for us on our one day stopover. Don't forget to stamp your ticket before boarding!

The ship may suggest that the train service is problematical. Don't believe it. The trains are reasonably fast and on time. The advantage of first class is a reserved seat, but second class worked just fine for us on our one day stopover. Don't forget to stamp your ticket before boarding!

I agree that trains are a good way to travel in Italy and Europe BUT especially in Italy one still has to be aware of strikes. If you do plan on taking public transportation, please check my previous posting. It has information on potential strikes and you will at least be informed.

Liat,

Thank you for your reply. I do not understand the last part of your response "Don't forget to stamp your ticket before boarding". Please clarify.

Regards

• 8 months later...
we plan to be in roma for a few days before cruise departure and believe ther's a good train schedule to the port:confused: will check on that in the very near future

In reviewing some old threads to which I had posted, I came across your comments. I am curious if indeed you had made the journey by train. If so,

[1]Did you enjoy it?

[2]How long did the trip take?

[3]Classes of seating available?

[4]What is the distance from the train station to the port and is it an easy walk?

My wife does not necessarily share my spirit of adventure. I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Confused4now,

As long as you've got your luggage "streamlined", train is fine.

However, I have too many in my party (7) to do the train thing - the "hassle factor" is just not worth the savings to me - taxi to train...train to Civ....taxi to ship - we'd kill each other!

That's one reason we're doing this cruise - ease of movement!:)

See you in Rome!!! (or Civ)

Peggy

• 4 years later...

We have always had good luck with sharing a private car with others on the roll call. Many people come into Rome early to enjoy the city. Twice we shared a limo with 2 other couples and that brings the cost down significantly. The limo picked each of the couples up at their hotels in Rome and then we headed to the port. The limo is not cheap if on your own.

• 5 months later...

We hired a car and driver (via the internet) to pick us up at the airport and deliver us to the ship. The cost is $135 euro for the two of us.

We don't care to share a car ride, and for us, schlepping our luggage on to the train is not an option, since we are an older couple. We've done this many times and it always works out.

Good luck, whatever you do.

We hired a car and driver (via the internet) to pick us up at the airport and deliver us to the ship. The cost is $135 euro for the two of us.

We don't care to share a car ride, and for us, schlepping our luggage on to the train is not an option, since we are an older couple. We've done this many times and it always works out.

Good luck, whatever you do.

Which car service did you use? Do you have their website?

Hi there

I am a train buff and use trains whenever in Europe.

A couple of things regarding Italain Inter city or regional trains. They are clean, safe and 99% on time.

Rome's main station(Termini) is large and as such do not use subway to get there if you have lots of luggage.

Also be aware that in many instances you haver to lift your luggage into the carriage as entrance to carriage and the very low platform mean stepping up into carriage.

Check the rail scedules on Trenitalia(italy's rail web site) or Seat61.com(great site for schedule and comments and pricing). If you do not use the TEE(high speed express) then one can get ticket at Termini on the day as there any number of trains to catch(see schedule again).

There is a walk from station to wharf. Also check which wharf the vessel is being moored at as this can make a difference to the walk.

Enjoy Rome and the REAL Italian Food in the non-tourist areas.

Hello: We did the train from Rome. We walked to the main train station and boarded the train. I think we paid 9 euros. The ride was great. A site seeing trip. You pass by the vatican, and stopped at numerous small towns. Really pretty journey. Arrived on time and about a 1/4 mile from the port. We walked along the beach walkway. This is the way I would get from rome to port.

Hello: We did the train from Rome. We walked to the main train station and boarded the train. I think we paid 9 euros. The ride was great. A site seeing trip. You pass by the vatican, and stopped at numerous small towns. Really pretty journey. Arrived on time and about a 1/4 mile from the port. We walked along the beach walkway. This is the way I would get from rome to port.

What about your luggage?

Archived