QV Grills Courtyard - Same Dress Code?

Captiveguru

Last minute wardrobe check for LAX-FLL...

Expecting warm weather. We love to dine al fresco, but wearing a jacket can make it so much less pleasant... Don't get me wrong, generally we love Cunard's formalities, but for outdoor dining?

The Courtyard is accessed through the restaurants so the evening dress code will apply.

No jacket required at breakfast, lunch or tea though.

Thanks. I understand this issue, but is one allowed to remove one's jacket upon arrival at the GC table?

Good question - I'm not sure, we've never eaten out there and I've always found the Dining Rooms quite chilly so it's not been an issue.

If you don't get an answer before tomorrow, please let us know when you get back.

The Grills Courtyard has never been used for dinner when we have been on the QV or QE, so I cannot say for sure whether you would be expected to wear a jacket, but I expect this might be the case as this would be the dress code for the evening. I have certainly seen people take their jackets off during the meal on several occasions in the dining room.

During the day, the dress code in the Courtyard is casual. It is a wonderful place to eat, one of my favourite places on the ships. We eat there every time it is open :)

I think you may find that you could be the only couple dining in the Grills Courtyard in the evenings. Evening dining in the courtyard is not as popular as it is at breakfast & lunch. I have to admit I don't believe I've seen it in operation in the evening , however , there could always be a first time.

When the sun sets, evenings in that area ( the courtyard) can often be a little breezy for most of our well groomed ladies ;) If you do elect to dine there I'm sure it would be no problem if you removed your jacket.

On the QE last year, we were advised that they didn't use the courtyard for evening dining if the ship was sailing as it got too windy on an evening - it's fine in the daytime and it will be open regardless of whether the ship is sailing or not (obviously subject to dry weather conditions), which seemed a little contradictory to me as if it could open in the day while at sea, why not at night?

The only time we have dined in the courtyard on an evening was when we were staying overnight in Istanbul so the ship was not sailing. That was on the QV and it was a lovely experience and despite the warm weather, we never saw any man remove their jacket whilst eating.

I am a bit disappointed to read The Grills Courtyard is not open in the evening.We are hoping to book a 'warm' cruise next year and eating outside in the evening is something we really enjoy.

We are trying the Grills experience in November, on a short cruise to see if it is worth the the extra cost.Obviously there will be no eating outside then!

I think one of the reasons they 'don't encourage' guests to use the Courtyard in the evenings is, the Grills Restaurants appear quite busy during the service of the evening meal. Most folk like to linger and make dinner an occasion, whereas at breakfast/Lunch the ambiance is often more tranquil.

Guests who elect to use the courtyard are served only by their 'dedicated table waiter' ( occasionally another waiter may assist if they are not too busy)

Even at lunch times I have noticed poor waiters trying to juggle between their own table/work station, taking care of their guests who are eating inside and at the same time trying to anticipate the needs of those seated outside.

If your dedicated table and the work station of your own waiter is, for example, at the far end of either of the restaurants, you may find your waiter is not always able to anticipate your needs immediately .

Eating Alfresco in Grills is very nice if you are not in too much of a hurry.

Lunch times in the courtyard are best suited with a group of fellow guests over a bottle or two of good wine. ;)

Recently the QE & QVic introduced Alfresco Dining as part of the evening alternative dinning ( Part waiter service and part buffet-additional cost cost $15pp) The venue is aft of deck 9 . I haven't experienced it so I can't comment but I noticed that the system works rather well, due to a dedicated team of wait staff.