Question--Bermuda, Caribbean comparison?

wishkc

there simply is no comparison if you ask me. Bermuda can not be beat for beauty. if you are looking for a lot of night life and/or gambling you won't find it here. It's a place to relax and enjoy your vacation. No a place to be on the go.

I have been to Bermuda 6 times. Would go every year if I could.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;10;21;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Coral Princess Birthday Cruise!

I agree, one trip to Bermuda and the Caribbean becomes an afterthought.

Several huge differences:

1) Caribbean cruises are a rush job. Dock somewhere between 7 AM and noon, depart somewhere between 3 and 7 PM. Either do an excursion (through the ship or on your own) or walk the town. No night life, no time to learn about the islands. Too many islands in too few days.

Bermuda on the other hand you get to enjoy for 4 or 5 days. There are 3 ports and your ship may stop at either all or some of them. But it doesn't matter, the island is only 21 miles long and you don't even need to be on the ship when it moves. Since you can't rent a car in Bermuda you can either rent a scooter or get a multi-day bus/ferry pass, which I personally recomend. As as example, while we're docked in Hamilton, following breakfast we take the bus to either Elbow Beach or Horseshoe Bay Beach (or both). While we're at the beach the ship moves from Hamilton to the Dock Yard. When we're finished at the beach we just catch the bus to the Dock Yard and meet the ship over there.

2) If you've been to Jamaica or Panama or Costa Rica or several other Caribbean ports, you're aware of how poor & depressed some of these island are.

Bermuda on the other hand is one of the wealthiest countries in the world. It's beauty is beyond compare.

3) As mentioned in #1, your Caribbean cruises are basically quick day trips. No night life.

While in Bermuda I would recommend an evening Champage Catammaran tour under the beautiful Bermuda stars. My friend likes to walk up to the radio tower at 1:00 in the morning just to enjoy the clean fresh Bermuda air. Most nights we dine on the ship and walk the town later but it's nice to know you can enjoy a real Bermudian dinner at a local restaurant if you want. Nightlife in Bermuda is fantastic.

As for nightlife, Tuesday nights is Heritage Night in St George and Wednesday night is Harbour night in Hamilton when the streets become alive with activity. None of that on a Caribbean cruise because you're not in the towns at night.

I could go on and on but basically remember these 4 words: THERE IS NO COMPARISON!!

They each have their seasons. If you want to get away for a winter cruise to the sun, you can't sail to Bermuda. If you are a beach person, as I am, you sail to Bermuda in May and September and to the Caribbean in the winter. Although Bermuda is our favorite island destination, the Caribbean is the obvious choice for escape from a New York winter. Enjoy them both.

I agree with everything said above. However, if you are a person who goes on a cruise more for the ship than for the ports you would probably be happier on a Caribbean cruise being out at sea every night where all the amenities of the ship are available.

But if you really want to get to explore a country there is nothing in the Caribbean, in my opinion, to match Bermuda. It is a beautiful and safe country with plenty to do to fillup 3-4 days and you don't feel rushed since you have several days there. Bermuda is a true gem.

• 1 month later...

We've been to St. John and St. Thomas, Tortolla, Virgin Gorda, and the Bahamas. I have never seen such beautiful, blue, clear water as in Bermuda! There something to be said for how safe it is also. That just makes it even more beautiful in my opinion.

Look at my photo. Is that the best?

394197226_horsehoebay.jpg.24c38a32416e3474c8c64dac08413baa.jpg

I am also one of the poor souls going to Bermuda can't agree more with the other posts. Have cruised to the caribbean and any cruise is better than no cruise at all but Bermuda is in a class all by itself. We will be on the Zenith out of NYC 8/21/04 2nd cruise to Bermuda did this 2 years ago and still can't get Bermuda out of my mind. On the other hand who would want to?

Well, I think this thread should push Suzanne over the top!! :) But we really should keep these secrets to ourselves...LOL

Bozo...We Bermuda lovers know the feeling well, Bermuda gets into your heart and mind, and that's a wonderful thing! Enjoy your cruise in Aug.!! (nearly 20 visits, and still counting!)

Attached an old favorite photo of mine...1999, NCL Majesty in St. George, Bermuda...glorious day!!!

Fran

relax99.jpg.a402b441ee8b5bb5ae3701998893392e.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I returned from Bermuda two weeks ago after cruising on Celebrity's Horizon out of Philadelphia. The last time I cruised to Bermuda was 20 years ago and Bermuda was still just as beautiful as I remembered it:) ..there were just a lot more houses dotting the island. It still has its crystal clear water, friendly people, and plenty of things to do and see. It was a wonderful vacation and I can't wait to go back. Hopefully, it won't take me another 20 years.:o Since a whole family group (29 of us) went on the trip we all had agreed that Bermuda was the place to go.

Archived