Vision of the Seas - March 28th

My husband, son and I just returned from our Spring break Caribbean vacation starting on March 28th on the Vision of the Seas. Overall impression is that the ship is in great shape and even though the ship was filled to the gills with passengers, I never felt crowded until we disembarked on April 4th.

My husband and I had a Superior Inside Cabin on the 8th deck and our son had a regular Inside Cabin on the 2nd deck. Cabins were perfect for all of us since we actually prefer the inside ones. Everything was very clean and well taken care of. We spent some time relaxing in our cabin after our excursions and were happy with the choice of TV shows/movies available. I was expecting minimal offerings and we had a few more than that so that was a pleasant surprise.

We ate in the WJ for breakfast and the MDR for dinners. The WJ was fine for buffet food. I do suggest the omelets over the buffet table's scrambled eggs. My husband would go up before me to get in line to get me a spinach, tomato and cheese omelet. These were great and the fresh fruit is always something I look forward to.

We also ate lunch in the WJ. I didn't want to try some of the food choices, but I always found something I liked.

Our son would often get a mid-afternoon snack at the Solarium snack bar. He seemed happy with the roast beef sandwiches, but probably would have preferred a pizza place.

On board during the sea days we relaxed a lot. Our son spent a lot of time relaxing and reading in the solarium. It never seemed too crowded and the kids were not there; one of his favorite reasons to hang out there.

Went to the Art Auction and drank too much champagne, but fortunately not enough to spend too much money. Hung out in the Schooner Bar at times. I really like this area as it is peaceful with great piano players entertaining.

The only part of the cruise that we were not impressed with was some of the entertainment. We went to a Royal Caribbean production named, "Boogie Wonderland" and were sick of how badly the disco songs of old were butchered. We missed the first late night adult themed comedian since I was still tired from work and was fast asleep at 11:00 PM, but we went to the second late night comedian and the family friendly juggler comedian the last night of the cruise. Both were very enjoyable. They also had a Boston tribute band that was FANTASTIC!!. If I closed my eyes I couldn't tell that it wasn't Boston. My son, who is twenty-five, thought it was funny that the 65+ passengers appeared to flee the theater because of the music being too loud and the middle-school kids appeared to flee because they didn't have a clue who Boston was.

The regular bands playing on board were from okay to really good. A Latino band was fine until they played Elvis songs. Another band, I think named the Prestige Band, was really good. We also always enjoyed the piano players/singers in the Schooner Bar.

My son's point of view was that he really wished he had been on board two weeks earlier when many more college-aged students were on Spring Break. He is in the Air Force and decided to cruise with us, but that meant on my schedule; the schedule of a high school teacher. :) I guess he drew the attention of a number of high-school aged girls that he did his best to avoid and upset a young woman his age who he was not interested in. Even so, he did meet enough young adults to stay up late talking and drinking with. He was also very happy with the comedians and the Boston tribute band.

Now he did tell me that he planned to cruise on Carnival next because a number of the young adults he met told him that they preferred their Carnival cruises. And, the sad thing is that my husband and I also heard the same from a number of middle aged adults so we might try a Carnival ship some time in the future. I never would have expected hearing this when we first starting cruising RCCL.

The only really big complaint that I have is with the disembarkation process, but I don't blame RCCL for this as much as I blame the fact that it is a smaller port and not well designed for cruise ship traffic. The first issue was a ship "traffic jam" that caused our ship to dock about 45 minutes later than planned. Then when we got off the first set of escalators in the Port did not work. It was a long and slow departure, but when we got out of the building we had a shuttle for the Parking Doctors waiting. I highly recommend this Parking service as the price is right and the service is spot on.

My husband, son and I just returned from our Spring break Caribbean vacation starting on March 28th on the Vision of the Seas. Overall impression is that the ship is in great shape and even though the ship was filled to the gills with passengers, I never felt crowded until we disembarked on April 4th.

My husband and I had a Superior Inside Cabin on the 8th deck and our son had a regular Inside Cabin on the 2nd deck. Cabins were perfect for all of us since we actually prefer the inside ones. Everything was very clean and well taken care of. We spent some time relaxing in our cabin after our excursions and were happy with the choice of TV shows/movies available. I was expecting minimal offerings and we had a few more than that so that was a pleasant surprise.

We ate in the WJ for breakfast and the MDR for dinners. The WJ was fine for buffet food. I do suggest the omelets over the buffet table's scrambled eggs. My husband would go up before me to get in line to get me a spinach, tomato and cheese omelet. These were great and the fresh fruit is always something I look forward to.

We also ate lunch in the WJ. I didn't want to try some of the food choices, but I always found something I liked.

Our son would often get a mid-afternoon snack at the Solarium snack bar. He seemed happy with the roast beef sandwiches, but probably would have preferred a pizza place.

On board during the sea days we relaxed a lot. Our son spent a lot of time relaxing and reading in the solarium. It never seemed too crowded and the kids were not there; one of his favorite reasons to hang out there.

Went to the Art Auction and drank too much champagne, but fortunately not enough to spend too much money. Hung out in the Schooner Bar at times. I really like this area as it is peaceful with great piano players entertaining.

The only part of the cruise that we were not impressed with was some of the entertainment. We went to a Royal Caribbean production named, "Boogie Wonderland" and were sick of how badly the disco songs of old were butchered. We missed the first late night adult themed comedian since I was still tired from work and was fast asleep at 11:00 PM, but we went to the second late night comedian and the family friendly juggler comedian the last night of the cruise. Both were very enjoyable. They also had a Boston tribute band that was FANTASTIC!!. If I closed my eyes I couldn't tell that it wasn't Boston. My son, who is twenty-five, thought it was funny that the 65+ passengers appeared to flee the theater because of the music being too loud and the middle-school kids appeared to flee because they didn't have a clue who Boston was.

The regular bands playing on board were from okay to really good. A Latino band was fine until they played Elvis songs. Another band, I think named the Prestige Band, was really good. We also always enjoyed the piano players/singers in the Schooner Bar.

My son's point of view was that he really wished he had been on board two weeks earlier when many more college-aged students were on Spring Break. He is in the Air Force and decided to cruise with us, but that meant on my schedule; the schedule of a high school teacher. :) I guess he drew the attention of a number of high-school aged girls that he did his best to avoid and upset a young woman his age who he was not interested in. Even so, he did meet enough young adults to stay up late talking and drinking with. He was also very happy with the comedians and the Boston tribute band.

Now he did tell me that he planned to cruise on Carnival next because a number of the young adults he met told him that they preferred their Carnival cruises. And, the sad thing is that my husband and I also heard the same from a number of middle aged adults so we might try a Carnival ship some time in the future. I never would have expected hearing this when we first starting cruising RCCL.

The only really big complaint that I have is with the disembarkation process, but I don't blame RCCL for this as much as I blame the fact that it is a smaller port and not well designed for cruise ship traffic. The first issue was a ship "traffic jam" that caused our ship to dock about 45 minutes later than planned. Then when we got off the first set of escalators in the Port did not work. It was a long and slow departure, but when we got out of the building we had a shuttle for the Parking Doctors waiting. I highly recommend this Parking service as the price is right and the service is spot on.

The Vision has many extra activities that no other ship has, Rocking with the Officers, Flag goodbye show, Thriller Dance? Did you go to any of these?