INTERNET on Cruises

bronxgal40

There will probably be internet. As for whether it will be worth it: for one thing, I have little idea how much it will cost. If you let us know what ship it you were travelling on, it would be easier to judge the price. For another thing, whether it's worth it depends on too many variables, namely what you want to use it for and how much money you are willing to spend. Don't try and download pictures or film.

We have sailed thru that part of the world several times and always had internet on the ship (Princess Cruises). The service is slow and expensive. Whether it is worth it is really up to you. We have sailed enough on Princess to get an internet credit, so it was free for us.

WIFI internet will be slow at sea no matter what. My husband often works on cruises and last time he was struggling to send a huge file. He had been trying for 2 - 3 hours when I went to check on him and had finally decided he would split the file into 10 parts and send it, so he was expecting to be up all night. I made him go to the internet cafe, put the file on a memory stick and sent it from one of the hardwired computers in the internet cafe and it went immediately. So you need to think creatively about how to make things work in the best possible way or just send small files.

I found the best speed is early, early or late, late in the day.

Early meaning nothing is open, but you get the first brew of coffee, and sun is not even up.

Late when the DJs are packing up.

Next best is port days when most people are off the ship.

Because of a work situation I've done all three :mad:

Edited by Philob