Considering Norwegian

happyscmom

I am considering a Norwegian cruise. I have cruised Royal Caribbean, Carnival, and, most recently, Celebrity. Looking at fares, the Norwegian line seems to offer a lot for a decent price. I just missed the drink package deal, so I will probably wait to see if it comes around again, but I am looking for a bit of feedback. The one negative I read is that Norwegian nickles and dimes you to death. Is that true? Other positives and negatives? Thanks for the feedback!

We have cruised Carnival, Royal, & NCL. My favorite is NCL. I personally do not feel they nickle & dime you... Yes, they have implemented a new fee & have increased prices on some of their "extras" but as someone commented on another thread, I would rather they keep costs low on their fares & pass along price increases to only those who use those specific services... I found the food, service, & rooms to be exceptional on our last NCL cruise. It is what you make of it! ;) BTW, I got an email this morning that they have extended the pick your perk promo... :O

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

We cruise NCL and have cruised DCL and Princess several times. The Nickel and Dime threads are people that are upset at the poor communication over recent rate increase on the daily service charge and the trial of room service charges on 2 ships that may go fleet wide. I agree NCL needs to improve their communication, that being said,I am not brand loyal for my vacations.

I price/budget the costs including anticipated charges for the any service I may use (spa, drinking, gratuities, excursions, extra tipping etc) then I go on a vacation hunt. I compare cruise lines for price, value and accommodations and make an informed decision of where to use my vacation $$$. The recent NCL perks make for good value and they do have nice itineraries.

You can monitor your spending on board by checking your bill at the customer relations desk. You can take care of any discrepancies before getting off of the ship. On some NCL ships you can track your spending via the television...I like the print out so I go to the desk.

We have had great trips on NCL, but we have reasonable expectations of a floating hotel. We have had great trips, met great people and had the time of our lives and the memories are priceless.

Edited by gwsster

I pay for the same things on NCL that I do on other lines: drinks, photos, souvenirs, upcharge restaurants, etc.

They are adding some new fees it seems with room service charges on Breakaway and Getaway (for now).