NCL isn't the only cruise line "cutting corners"

bangzoom6877

But in those good old days you didn't have Google, You Tube, email, or Al Gore's world wide web.;) Also no smartphones, GPS, Netflix, hybrid and electric cars. Of course no Kardashians, Duck Dynasty, Dancing with some sort of bachelorette, or big brother or something, and no addicted smartphones users either. :o

The good old days are gone. Welcome to the good/bad new days.:D

Hey, I never said I wanted the old days of cruising, as I'm perfectly happy with these days. Just pointing out to those that want the good old days, that there are a lot of things that are gone from those days, including huge fare prices for cruising, so if it was the same as the old days I wouldn't be able to do as much cruising as I do.

Now I could do without the Kardashians, the Ducks, dancing and the bachelorette, but you leave Survivor and Big Brother out of it. LOL!

Edited by NLH Arizona

I would love to find a cruise line that does things the "old school" way. I would gladly pay more ... but to go back to the days of the midnight buffets, the whole lobsters at dinner, the amazing dinners without specialty restaurants, and 24-hour room service with a decent menu ... I'd pay extra for that.

Crystal Cruise Lines

I read this morning on the Princess forum that they are charging hot chocolate for suite guests. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2194533

There is hot chocolate in the main dining room with no charge while we were there but never could get it in the buffet.

We were on the Golden Princess last week and a waiter told me that Princess is cutting cost. We always have papaya for breakfast when we are on Princess and this time none..that is when he told me about it since they haven't had it for several cruises plus no berries as before on that cruise for breakfast in the main dining room.

I read this morning on the Princess forum that they are charging hot chocolate for suite guests. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2194533

There is hot chocolate in the main dining room with no charge while we were there but never could get it in the buffet.

We were on the Golden Princess last week and a waiter told me that Princess is cutting cost. We always have papaya for breakfast when we are on Princess and this time none..that is when he told me about it since they haven't had it for several cruises plus no berries as before on that cruise for breakfast in the main dining room.

Yes, cost cutting is everywhere. On every cruise line. And I'll add...beyond cruises as well.

I would love to find a cruise line that does things the "old school" way. I would gladly pay more ... but to go back to the days of the midnight buffets, the whole lobsters at dinner, the amazing dinners without specialty restaurants, and 24-hour room service with a decent menu ... I'd pay extra for that.

Carnival is doing some 80s throwback cruises where they are supposed to have these things.

Maggie

I will pay for the little extras as long as NCL keeps me entertained!

We were on a Carnival ship over New Years and the entertainment was the worst! We will never go on a Carnival ship again we were with a big family with ages 22-55 and all of us decided it would be our last Carnival Cruise because of the lack of quality entertainment and many other issues.

I am in agreement.

We sailed our 11th CCL cruise back in 2012 and said it would be our last.

In all likelihood, it probably won't be our last...there may come a day when I jump on a CCL ship for a last minute get away or something, (I have learned to never say never) but because of the total cuts in entertainment, we look to every other cruise line first.

I did worry...back maybe a year (maybe two?? I don't know. Time has escaped me lately) ago, when NCL stock went public... that meant that they were now in the business of pacifying shareholders and not customers and that things would change. I just hope they don't go down the road that CCL did. It would break my heart.

As far as the room service charges...it does seem high to me, but to be honest, I rarely have used room service and I have cruised quite a few times. I still would MUCH rather see charges for things than things being eliminated.

jmo.