Southampton Central station

In May we will be on a Princess cruise that docks in Southampton for the day.

Along with friends we'll be taking the train from Southampton Central to Winchester. Not being at all familiar with the area, my question concerns how easy it is to get to the station from the cruise terminal. Can you walk it or is a taxi a better idea. Thanks for any suggestions.

Princess use two berths in Southampton, Mayflower Terminal (berth 106) & Ocean Cruise Terminal (berth 46)

Hopefully your ship is on this list:

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/

Mayflower is a 20 minute walk to the station, much of it in the docks but on sidewalks. Ocean is 5 minutes longer, but a more pleasant & interesting route.

There's no restriction on walking out of the docks, and it's all level ground, all on sidewalks, roads to cross but with traffic lights to help.

On this map, A is Mayflower Terminal, B is the train station, C is Ocean terminal

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Herbert+Walker+Ave&daddr=Western+Esplanade%2FA3024+to:Cunard+Rd&hl=en&ll=50.900705,-1.41273&spn=0.018783,0.041413&sll=50.899,-1.411614&sspn=0.018784,0.041413&geocode=FYXACAMdJzXq_w%3BFazGCAMdd3Dq_w%3BFY6UCAMdUKLq_w&oq=Cunard+Road&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=dme&mrsp=2&sz=15&z=15

Taxis available at both terminals, the fare will be £8 to £10.

Three trains per hour to Winchester, which is a 15-20 minute ride. Buy a "day-return" ticket - pay in sterling or plastic.

Winchester's station is a 10 - 15 minute walk to the centre, mainly downhill.

Follow this route, which takes you via the Great Hall of Winchester castle (the only part of the castle still standing, & houses a 13th century copy of King Arthur's round table), then down High Street past the little West Gate museum, the last part of the High Street is pedestrianised.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Station+Rd&daddr=Winchester+castle+to:Winchester+Cathedral,+Winchester&hl=en&ll=51.063704,-1.317158&spn=0.009359,0.020707&sll=51.064472,-1.319647&sspn=0.009359,0.020707&geocode=FRU5CwMd6d7r_w%3BFXwnCwMdodzr_yF5r8iBryLOiilLbrXUjQ10SDF5r8iBryLOig%3BFdEfCwMdfvbr_yHqtw4rfg6YGykNBnH9iA10SDHqtw4rfg6YGw&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ls&z=16

If you don't fancy the walk back to the station, there's a taxi rank in Broadway, at the bottom end of High St.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Thanks JB, appreciate the information.

Stu

I just noticed on that port information site that in May for whatever reason one Princess ship, Caribbean Princess, will be at berth 38 (QE11 Terminal).

That's the only terminal where walking isn't advisable, even without luggage

It's deep in the docks, a further 15 minute walk beyond Ocean Terminal & mainly with no sidewalk - you're separated from heavy truck traffic by just a yellow painted line.

So if you're on Caribbean Princess, take a cab.

If you want to extend John Bull's walk in Winchester a little bit, once you are at the back of the Cathedral at the green and The Close, carry on past the Cathedral school (Pilgrim's)on your left and walk straight to the end of the little cul de sac. Then turn right out through the old gate in the wall . You are now at the Kings Gate.

Turn left through Kings Gate, If you have time, pop up into the tiny church over the Kings Gate.Entrance is through the door to the right of the Kings Gate and up the steps

Walk past a shop selling pictures and prints and books and turn first left into College Street -or carry on and call in The Wykeham Arms for a lunch or a drink

Walk down College Street right to the end. You will pass Jane Austen's house on the right. It is a pastel colour and has a plaque on it. You cannot go inside it. She only spent a short while at this address at the end of her life before being buried in Winchester Cathedral. Further down College Street, you will also pass an entrance to Winchester College on your right where there are regular tours around the College. Times of tours are usually on a board at this entrance.

Cross the street and you come to the entrance to Wolvesley Palace/Castle on your left. Follow the pathway straight ahead which will lead you to the river. The river will be on your right. Walk this path straight on to the end and up the slope/steps at the end and you will now have the City Mill (National Trust) across the road in front of you.

Turn left here and walk straight up The Broadway, past a little park on your left and King Alfred's Statue on your right and then past The Guildhall on your left and the taxi rank mentioned by JB.Carry straight ahead and you will be back in the High Street.

Hope this helps... I really must stress that this is not an official walk and only covers a very small part of the city where I live. It is just a little route which I just find very lovely and shows off Winchester well as there are lots of interesting things to see, explore and admire along the way. It might be a good idea to pick up a good street map from the our tourist office and to visit it on line before you come. Hope you have a lovely time here.

John might be able to present it on a map a bit clearer than I can.

Edited by Scriv

Again, thanks for the information guys.

As it happens we'll be on the Royal and it says we'll be berthed at the Ocean Terminal. We have friends on board, who in turn have friends in Winchester, so we're meeting up with them. Not sure how much sightseeing will be involved, other than the inside of a pub, not that that's a bad thing.;)

I'm just one of those people who likes to know where I'm at and how to get from A to B without trusting in blind luck. Bought the train tickets. Again, thanks for the help.

Stu

Princess use two berths in Southampton, Mayflower Terminal (berth 106) & Ocean Cruise Terminal (berth 46)

Hopefully your ship is on this list:

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/

Mayflower is a 20 minute walk to the station, much of it in the docks but on sidewalks. Ocean is 5 minutes longer, but a more pleasant & interesting route.

There's no restriction on walking out of the docks, and it's all level ground, all on sidewalks, roads to cross but with traffic lights to help.

On this map, A is Mayflower Terminal, B is the train station, C is Ocean terminal

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Herbert+Walker+Ave&daddr=Western+Esplanade%2FA3024+to:Cunard+Rd&hl=en&ll=50.900705,-1.41273&spn=0.018783,0.041413&sll=50.899,-1.411614&sspn=0.018784,0.041413&geocode=FYXACAMdJzXq_w%3BFazGCAMdd3Dq_w%3BFY6UCAMdUKLq_w&oq=Cunard+Road&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=dme&mrsp=2&sz=15&z=15

Taxis available at both terminals, the fare will be £8 to £10.

Three trains per hour to Winchester, which is a 15-20 minute ride. Buy a "day-return" ticket - pay in sterling or plastic.

Winchester's station is a 10 - 15 minute walk to the centre, mainly downhill.

Follow this route, which takes you via the Great Hall of Winchester castle (the only part of the castle still standing, & houses a 13th century copy of King Arthur's round table), then down High Street past the little West Gate museum, the last part of the High Street is pedestrianised.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Station+Rd&daddr=Winchester+castle+to:Winchester+Cathedral,+Winchester&hl=en&ll=51.063704,-1.317158&spn=0.009359,0.020707&sll=51.064472,-1.319647&sspn=0.009359,0.020707&geocode=FRU5CwMd6d7r_w%3BFXwnCwMdodzr_yF5r8iBryLOiilLbrXUjQ10SDF5r8iBryLOig%3BFdEfCwMdfvbr_yHqtw4rfg6YGykNBnH9iA10SDHqtw4rfg6YGw&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ls&z=16

If you don't fancy the walk back to the station, there's a taxi rank in Broadway, at the bottom end of High St.

This is helpful. I am boarding the NCL Escape later this fall for the TA. Is it walkable (shows Berth 46) from the bus station to the port? I will have my carryon (backpack) and a rolling bag.

Is it walkable from the bus terminal?

I've seen mostly recommendations for a cab but I would prefer to walk as I could at least "see" the city.

Thanks

Dena

This is helpful. I am boarding the NCL Escape later this fall for the TA. Is it walkable (shows Berth 46) from the bus station to the port? I will have my carryon (backpack) and a rolling bag.

Is it walkable from the bus terminal?

I've seen mostly recommendations for a cab but I would prefer to walk as I could at least "see" the city.

Thanks

Dena

Now I'm confused. :confused:

I understood that Ocean Terminal (berth 46) was built with Carnival money, and that it can only be used by lines owned by Carnival.

Or mebbe it's a one-off for this new ship.

No matter.

The bus (coach) station is 3 or 4 minutes closer to Ocean Terminal than the train station, google has it at about a mile / 23 minutes. Again, all on sidewalks, all level ground, traffic lights to help you cross the road.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Harbour+Parade&daddr=Cunard+Rd&hl=en&sll=50.898486,-1.40625&sspn=0.018784,0.041413&geocode=FfrCCAMdfIDq_w%3BFZKUCAMdNKLq_w&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=prev&z=15

Do be sure to book to the coach station. The "cruise terminal" option on the Nat Express website is only for Fred Olsen ships. It'll show no availability if there isn't a Fred ship sailing that day - but worse, if there is a Fred sailing you'll be charged significantly more to be taken to the wrong terminal. :rolleyes:

Now I'm confused. :confused:

I understood that Ocean Terminal (berth 46) was built with Carnival money, and that it can only be used by lines owned by Carnival.

Or mebbe it's a one-off for this new ship.

That is interesting

We are scheduled to dock at the Ocean Terminal on Oceania (owned by NCLH)

They also let Oceania dock at their Roatan village

Edited by LHT28