Panama Canal Questions

Cruiser-66

Originally Posted by tvaud viewpost.gif

Even though we had an end bump out balcony, we still went to the "secret" forward deck for viewing when we were going through the locks. It's the best view. Soon to be eliminated with the refit that adds cabins where the viewing area used to be. The rail was full, but you could still see everything.

They are not removing the forward viewing areas.

The forward viewing area is the place to be to go through the locks. Grab a couple of cronuts and coffee and get there by 6:00AM for a good spot.

the forward viewing area is the place to be to go through the locks. Grab a couple of cronuts and coffee and get there by 6:00am for a good spot.

We cruised this past January on the Coral Princess doing the 11 day Partial Panama Canal cruise & used the forward viewing area going thru the Locks. We was out on deck around 5:30 AM & we was located in the middle on the deck under the Bridge which had a great view. Maybe it was the Baja Deck forward viewing area? Great location for going thru the Canal but like others has said, best thing is to move around for different viewing.

The weather was perfect for us with no rain during our cruise. Enjoy your cruise :) !!

IMG_0728.jpg.4e08994e2325ce7b47a48708ace57c0b.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg.212220f24bf68940643b2f38b974be45.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg.28b2f8473693fb61d30d9d12c2d9c8df.jpg

This is my first post. Just joined. We are considering a Panama canal cruise next April on the Island Princess and are also considering back to back cruises from La to Fort Lauderdale and reverse back to LA so we can avoid the hassle of airports. Has anyone done a back to back cruise? Do you keep the same cabin? When we get to Florida can we get off and explore for the day like any port? I asked future cruises while on a Hawaiian cruise and was told I just do back to back cruises but want to know if anyone has done this sort of thing. I don't think we will mind the amount of time on board, we like cruising that much. Thanks.

This is my first post. Just joined. We are considering a Panama canal cruise next April on the Island Princess and are also considering back to back cruises from La to Fort Lauderdale and reverse back to LA so we can avoid the hassle of airports. Has anyone done a back to back cruise? Do you keep the same cabin? When we get to Florida can we get off and explore for the day like any port? I asked future cruises while on a Hawaiian cruise and was told I just do back to back cruises but want to know if anyone has done this sort of thing. I don't think we will mind the amount of time on board, we like cruising that much. Thanks.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Doing b2b full transits would be a fantastic cruise of 30 days!

You would keep the same cabin if you book the same cabin on both cruises. If its available. Its not automatic. The earlier you book the better chance you have of staying in the same cabin.

Yes the stop in Ft Lauderdale you can get off.

Did you purchase any FCC's while onboard your Hawaii cruise?

I lived in Panama for six years and strongly suggest you avoid cruising there during the rainy season which is roughly August through December. I also suggest you take the full transit with two days in Panama, one for going through the canal and the next day for visiting the city. We are taking the two days in Panama cruise next February. I love the place!

I'm sorry, I don't know what FCCs are. We paid 1 hundred dollars toward a future cruise. One hundred per person. Is that what FCC is?

Yes. Those are what's commonly referred to as future cruise credits. The $100 you paid counts as your deposit on whatever booking you choose to use them for, even if the cruise would normally call for a much bigger deposit. You also get on board credit on that cruise, $25 to $150 per FCC (I think), depending on what kind of cabin you book and how long the cruise is.

Jim

I'm sorry, I don't know what FCCs are. We paid 1 hundred dollars toward a future cruise. One hundred per person. Is that what FCC is?

Yes. Those are what's commonly referred to as future cruise credits. The $100 you paid counts as your deposit on whatever booking you choose to use them for, even if the cruise would normally call for a much bigger deposit. You also get on board credit on that cruise, $25 to $150 per FCC (I think), depending on what kind of cabin you book and how long the cruise is.

Jim

Yep. Normally the deposit is 20% of the total cruise. FCC is only $100 and covers the deposit. (Of course you still have to pay for the rest but not up front.) You do get on board credit for using the FCC as your deposit.

Future Cruise Length Per Person Shipboard Credit:

17 + Days $125 Inside, $125 Outside, $150 Balcony, $150 Suite

11 - 16 Days $75 Inside, $75 Outside, $100 Balcony, $100 Suite

7 - 10 Days $25 Inside, $25 Outside, $50 Balcony, $50 Suite

3 - 6 Days $15 Inside, $15 Outside, $25 Balcony, $25 Suite