Show Times

ovccruiser

Yes, the Neptune lounge was cleared after the first show and the doors closed while it was presumably being cleaned. I was half expecting Black Rod to come along and start knocking on the door. ;)

... and that is precisely what I was expecting sadly.

They have managed to reproduce the problems you get on the cocktail reception evenings and make them happen every single night of the cruise for 1st sitting guests :(

You have hit the nail on the head precisely Mark!

Funny how this stuff affects your state of mind.

We just got a phone call offering an upgrade to the owners suite at a reduced rate and I didn't even have to think for a moment before rejecting it.

Funny how this stuff affects your state of mind.

We just got a phone call offering an upgrade to the owners suite at a reduced rate and I didn't even have to think for a moment before rejecting it.

We also got the wonderful upgrade offer at £1500 per person, we didn't have to think about it either.

pugwash123

I hope that this is sorted out before our cruise. We don't go to all of the shows ( meaningless dancing with high volume music ! :( ) but always have first sitting. We tend to go to bed around 11.00. The nice quiet lounges are a delight while second sitting is watching the show!

I seem to be in a minority of one:). As I said above like a show before dinner and have enjoyed this on other cruise lines. We like second dinner with a meal at 6.15 being just too early for our tastes but don't always want to go to a late show. (Though I like the option of an additional alternative show to be available)

What I would say is that FO must have some sort of logical reason for trying this out. I presume that they would not wish to vexatiously annoy their customers as they appear to be doing if the views on this board are in any way representative, so there has to be some basis for doing this.

If I were being cynical I would suggest that like all cruise lines it is probably to do with profit maximisation. The bars will be much busier after second dinner than they would be if the show was on at that time. So they now sell drinks before and after second dinner to a greater extent.

A kinder view might be that they get too many requests for first sitting and that this is a compromise for those who can't get 6.15 and don't want to sit up to well after 11pm every night when they are up again at 6.30/7am for breakfast and trips.

Or could they be thinking of introducing flexible dining in one of the venues? In my experience the lines that offer this mix of shows usually have freedom dining as an option.

This is of course all wild speculation on my part. It would be interesting to actually know the official reason why this is being tried out in the first place given the strong reactions to it on this board.

I seem to be in a minority of one:). As I said above like a show before dinner and have enjoyed this on other cruise lines. We like second dinner with a meal at 6.15 being just too early for our tastes but don't always want to go to a late show. (Though I like the option of an additional alternative show to be available)

What I would say is that FO must have some sort of logical reason for trying this out. I presume that they would not wish to vexatiously annoy their customers as they appear to be doing if the views on this board are in any way representative, so there has to be some basis for doing this.

If I were being cynical I would suggest that like all cruise lines it is probably to do with profit maximisation. The bars will be much busier after second dinner than they would be if the show was on at that time. So they now sell drinks before and after second dinner to a greater extent.

A kinder view might be that they get too many requests for first sitting and that this is a compromise for those who can't get 6.15 and don't want to sit up to well after 11pm every night when they are up again at 6.30/7am for breakfast and trips.

Or could they be thinking of introducing flexible dining in one of the venues? In my experience the lines that offer this mix of shows usually have freedom dining as an option.

This is of course all wild speculation on my part. It would be interesting to actually know the official reason why this is being tried out in the first place given the strong reactions to it on this board.

I think we are a minority of two on this forum. I personally do not rate the cruise shows on any of the cruise lines I have ben on and consequentially do not frequent them. I do however like the new timings for the following reason. On our last Braemar cruise (where the new timing were in operation) we were able to get ready for late sitting dinner, leave the cabin around 8pm and have no difficulty finding a seat in any of the lounges, which is something that we found virtually impossible on previous cruises.

Pugwash123

Good morning,

Thank you for all your comments and questions regarding the trial of the earlier show time for those guests who are on second sitting for dinner.

In response to the question regarding how we are collating the responses from our guests; these are being taken from our onboard teams receiving feedback from guests whilst on their cruise and also from social media platforms, such as this one, Facebook and Twitter.

As advised previously, we listen to all of our guests comments, both positive and negative; and these will help us make the decision which suits the greatest number of our guests.

We thank you for your patience, and indeed your comments.

Regards,

F.OCL

Why wouldn't you directly solicit comments by including this as a question on the feedback forms on-board?

Also, why are you still misinforming people about the showtimes, during this trial, on the FO website?

We would just like to provide a quick update regarding the change to the dining and show times that we have been trialling for the past few months on board our ships. We know this is a particularly hot topic amongst our guests and the feedback we have received via these forums, emails and letters is greatly appreciated. It really helps us ensure that the on board experience we offer suits the greatest number of guests, so thank you for taking the time to comment.

So far the response to the trial has been quite evenly split and we have received large amounts of both positive and negative feedback, so much so that – at the moment – it is difficult for a definitive decision to be made. Therefore we are extending the trial to continue throughout the summer, so that we can collate further feedback from guests on board. We know that this will come as a disappointment to some, but we want to be fair to all of our guests and collecting more feedback will help us to make a fair and informed decision.

Once again we would like to thank you for your comments regarding the trial; all feedback – both positive and negative – is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines

Looks like Fred has got himself between a rock and a hard place. The saying "leave well enough alone" comes to mind, even though I personally am happy to see the trial extended until after my next cruise.

Pugwash123

Good afternoon,

The decision was taken by Senior Management to collate the information from guests directly, and not on the end of cruise questionnaire.

Please note that we have amended the FOCL website to reflect the message we have been discussing here about the trial of the different show time.

We do appreciate this may be frustrating for some of you, but in order to make a decision which suits the majority of our guests, we do need to give it time to be experienced and therefore commented on, but thank you for your views and comments.

Kind regards,

F.OCL

Good afternoon,

The decision was taken by Senior Management to collate the information from guests directly, and not on the end of cruise questionnaire.

Please note that we have amended the FOCL website to reflect the message we have been discussing here about the trial of the different show time.

We do appreciate this may be frustrating for some of you, but in order to make a decision which suits the majority of our guests, we do need to give it time to be experienced and therefore commented on, but thank you for your views and comments.

Kind regards

F.OCL

You will never please everybody but especially regular cruisers who are used to their schedule. Now I was a first time cruiser with your company and the times we had on May 3rd cruise could not have suited us better and they were common to other cruise lines we have been on. We were on early dinner

We are just off the Balmoral and although we don't do shows I noticed that this change was not every night. I think it was just the two formal nights but will check when I get unpacked and look at the Daily Times.

We are just off the Balmoral and although we don't do shows I noticed that this change was not every night. I think it was just the two formal nights but will check when I get unpacked and look at the Daily Times.

Have you had a chance to look at your Daily Times?

Did you enjoy the Balmoral?

Yes, I have just checked and it was more than I realised. I am missing one day but of the other six days there are three at the normal times 8.45 pm for first sitting and 10.30 pm for second sitting and the other three were the new times of 7.00 pm for second sitting and 8.45 pm for first sitting. On those nights there was an additional show at 10.30 pm.

Yes, I have just checked and it was more than I realised. I am missing one day but of the other six days there are three at the normal times 8.45 pm for first sitting and 10.30 pm for second sitting and the other three were the new times of 7.00 pm for second sitting and 8.45 pm for first sitting. On those nights there was an additional show at 10.30 pm.

Thanks for this - it doesn't sound quite as bad as I had first thought - at least it is not every night. Would you mind telling me what the 'extra' sow consisted of please?

Many thanks

Thanks for this - it doesn't sound quite as bad as I had first thought - at least it is not every night. Would you mind telling me what the 'extra' sow consisted of please?

Many thanks

The Balmoral Crew Cabaret

Back2Back with Cassie & Dave

On the British Night it was British Sing A Long at 10.00 pm followed by "Your Entertainment Team presents "Idols" at 10.45 pm.

The Balmoral Crew Cabaret

Back2Back with Cassie & Dave

On the British Night it was British Sing A Long at 10.00 pm followed by "Your Entertainment Team presents "Idols" at 10.45 pm.

Thank you - this really does not sound quite as bad as I first thought. I don't think Cassie & Dave will be on when we go in the summer but we have seen them both on another cruise line & they are very talented!

I assume the extra show was held in the Neptune Lounge?

Edited by Julessmiles

Well, we will find out for ourselves in another couple of months, but I can't get past the fact that the queuing that has previously been created by closing the Neptune lounge during the cocktail reception for the 2nd sitting guests appears to be replicated by this time change.

If that is indeed what we experience while we are on-board then Fred will have had the last of our money they will ever get.

It is very hard to see how this change is going to encourage people who do not current use FO to start doing so, but it is very easy to see how it is going to persuade some of us who do currently sail with FO to cease doing so ...

we have just come off the Braemar - this was our first cruise with Fred, allbeit a mini cruise. We were on late sitting, and finished our meal around 10, followed by a slow wander to the Neptune for the show which started at about 10.35. We never had to queue at all, and in fact, the place seemed to have many spare seats - even the comedian commented on that !! However, the time suited us fine, although the jersey boys tribute at 11.45 was just a tad too late as we had to be up at 6, although i would have loved to have seen that.

As for our first trip with Fred - we loved it, although having been on a cruise with another line a few years ago which we did not enjoy, we were cautious of going on another cruise - hence the mini trial. I am sure we will book another cruise in the future, but only with Fred from now on - everyone was so friendly, both the crew and the passengers.

we have just come off the Braemar - this was our first cruise with Fred, allbeit a mini cruise. We were on late sitting, and finished our meal around 10, followed by a slow wander to the Neptune for the show which started at about 10.35. We never had to queue at all, and in fact, the place seemed to have many spare seats - even the comedian commented on that !!

That sounds like the original show times though, if you had been experiencing the new schedule your show would have been at 7:30pm not 10:30.