Alaska on Ruby

Cruiser-66

Just found a good buy on this cruise for end of August. Never been to Alaska and I know this will not be as nice as doing land and sea, but thought it might give us a taste of what's there for a trip later on. It does Tracy Arm Fjord instead of Glacier Bay. I think I would have preferred the other, but wondering from those who have done both what you think.

The Grand does Glacier Bay for $500 per person more. I,m not sure if it would be worth it.

This cruise is round trip Seattle.

Just found a good buy on this cruise for end of August. Never been to Alaska and I know this will not be as nice as doing land and sea, but thought it might give us a taste of what's there for a trip later on. It does Tracy Arm Fjord instead of Glacier Bay. I think I would have preferred the other, but wondering from those who have done both what you think.

The Grand does Glacier Bay for $500 per person more. I,m not sure if it would be worth it.

This cruise is round trip Seattle.

If budget isn't an issue do Glacier bay, Tracy Arm while beautiful there is a reason Glacier is National Park and costs more.

We did the Alaska cruise 8 years ago and went to Tracy Arm. Even though probably not as spectacular as Glacier Bay, it was still really beautiful. If the budget is a consideration, the Ruby itinerary will certainly give you a good flavor of an Alaskan cruise. :cool:

Glacier Bay National Park and Tracy Arm are two quite different experiences. Most people will say that Glacier Bay is better. While I do agree that it is more impressive, Tracy Arm is still a fantastic place. Especially if you've never been to Alaska before. You cruise up a narrow fjord with tall mountains and waterfalls on both sides. The ship winds it's way up the fjord for about two hours. It's quite a trip. If your main interest is seeing glaciers, Glacier Bay is better. You can get very close to two fantastic examples. Tracy Arm does goes to Sawyer Glacier, however you usually can't get that close to it. But as far as scenery goes, Tracy Arm is spectacular. Both Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm are amazing places to visit.

Edited by Jasperdo

............. Tracy Arm does goes to Sawyer Glacier, however you usually can't get that close to it. But as far as scenery goes, Tracy Arm is spectacular. .............

Some of the scenery.

P1010034.jpg.b3044f91abd046370c055dff659095eb.jpg

P1010038.jpg.6b9933c937dbd93160c18b309eb4411f.jpg

Another vote for Glacier Bay over Tracy Arm....

[YOUTUBE]l40k_wZzVuc[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]OMzReVZn__M[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

Is this a one time Alaska trip or the first of ?? If this is your one and only splurge on Glacier Bay. I plan on going again so my last year's trip was to Hubbard Glacier- beautiful!!! But my next will be Glacier or the fjords, whichever has the best deal. Can't go wrong in August. Chances are the weather will be in your favor

We went last August on the Grand...same itinerary as the Ruby...our ship was unable to get in to tracy arm due to ice but the Disney ship made it in. We have been to Glacier Bay in the past and it is phenomenal but we are going again on august 16th on the Ruby...love the Ruby. She is a beautiful ship.

Alaska is such a naturally beautiful place.....either one will be enjoyed.

eclue:rolleyes: