Balcony or Suite?

IslandLife17

Looking at Carnival Valor for a 7 day Eastern Caribbean cruise. It would be me, DH and our two daughters (9 and 10 at time of sailing) To get some perspective, when we've stayed on Disney property, we always chose a Value resort because we are hardly in the room. But, I did think the last visit was a bit cramped...

That said:

As of right now I could book a balcony room for about $2,700. It says it sleeps 3-4...

I looked at upgrading to a suite and the price went up over a grand...:eek:

Worth the upgrade?

We've never staying in anything nicer than a balcony.

I'm of the camp that "we only sleep, shower, and change in the cabin".

When the kids are teens, I may rethink, but for now, four of us in a cabin works.

One day I will splurge on a suite just for the experience, but then part of me is afraid we might get spoiled : )

Be careful of the bed configurations of the 3/4 passenger in a cabin. In a balcony cabin, it is usually a couch and an upper, or two uppers. But in a suite, the 3/4 passengers often must share a foldout couch. How many families have kids that won't share a bed? EM

Be careful of the bed configurations of the 3/4 passenger in a cabin. In a balcony cabin, it is usually a couch and an upper, or two uppers. But in a suite, the 3/4 passengers often must share a foldout couch. How many families have kids that won't share a bed? EM

I've never had an upper in a balcony room. It's always been a fold out couch. (three cruise lines). That's with a kid and with two adults as the 3/4th.

I've never said in a suite, yet.

Depending on the cruise line, the couch isn't comfortable and when folded out doesn't leave anyroom.

We're odd though, we spend a good bit of time in our room. The balcony is perfect during quiet time and bedtime. I don't like people, or noise or being pestered to buy drinks. I tend to actually use our balcony. I'm also very happy to just lay in bed with the door open, listening to the waves.

Edited by Gardeneroflove

Odd...My balcony rooms have never had a fold-out couch, only uppers and/or convertible couch. Closest I have been to a suite was a mini-suite on Princess, which had a single foldout and an upper. EM

I've never had an upper in a balcony room. It's always been a fold out couch. (three cruise lines). That's with a kid and with two adults as the 3/4th.

Our last cruise and the one we have coming up, the 4th bed is an upper. We have the single bed (non pull out) couch and then a drop down bunk. Both balcony (one extended, one obstructed view) on Carnival Pride. I'd be happier if it was a pull out couch since I'm not so sure about my then 3 year old in an upper.

You should cost out Balcony + inside as sometimes that is cheaper than additional people in the more spacious balcony. Then the next is of course 4 people in a suite if it does that, or balcony. I recalled our last cruise it was cheap for the additional person in the inside versus add a person to our suite.

I've done 3 and 4 to a inside, its tight... all comes down to budget/value