OV balcony guarantee assignment question

Hi all!

It's been awhile since I've posted, but I've always found the info here so helpful. I recently booked a last-minute cruise on Oasis for 5/16/15 as an anniversary surprise for my DH--it will be our 10th anniversary on board and our second babymoon! So excited! I told him about the surprise last night, and he's already said a few times this is the best gift I've ever given him, outside our daughter (who I was pregnant with on our last Oasis cruise). :)

Anyway, this will be our third time on Oasis, and due to the last-minuteness of booking, at first, no OV balconies were available, but then some OV balcony guarantees popped up, so I grabbed one. We've done guarantees a couple times before, and the rooms were assigned right away. I am just curious what others' experiences have been with guarantees--what is the LATEST you've been assigned a room? (I realize that they say it can be up till the sail date, but just curious to hear the general consensus. I also realize the gamble that guarantees are, and we can end up anywhere, but I am just excited we are on the ship AND will have a view of the ocean!)

Excited to get that room assignment ... But mostly just excited to get on board!!! Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi all!

It's been awhile since I've posted, but I've always found the info here so helpful. I recently booked a last-minute cruise on Oasis for 5/16/15 as an anniversary surprise for my DH--it will be our 10th anniversary on board and our second babymoon! So excited! I told him about the surprise last night, and he's already said a few times this is the best gift I've ever given him, outside our daughter (who I was pregnant with on our last Oasis cruise). :)

Anyway, this will be our third time on Oasis, and due to the last-minuteness of booking, at first, no OV balconies were available, but then some OV balcony guarantees popped up, so I grabbed one. We've done guarantees a couple times before, and the rooms were assigned right away. I am just curious what others' experiences have been with guarantees--what is the LATEST you've been assigned a room? (I realize that they say it can be up till the sail date, but just curious to hear the general consensus. I also realize the gamble that guarantees are, and we can end up anywhere, but I am just excited we are on the ship AND will have a view of the ocean!)

Excited to get that room assignment ... But mostly just excited to get on board!!! Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We did a guarantee cruise a couple of years ago (Jr Ste) and were assigned our cabin around 3 days prior to sailing. We pretty much knew which one we would get because it was the only cabin left on the ship!

We did a guarantee cruise a couple of years ago (Jr Ste) and were assigned our cabin around 3 days prior to sailing. We pretty much knew which one we would get because it was the only cabin left on the ship!

Curious--how did you know what was left on the ship?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just do a mock booking to see if any balcony cabins in the minimum booked or higher did open up.

However sometimes the cruise line upgrades someone already in a cabin that meets the minimum category guarantee before they assign that cabin to the guarantee so nothing ever does show available in the category involved.

This happened on one of our recent cruises as we knew all involved, those upgraded and those who got their previous cabin for their guarantee through our roll call.

Edited by robtulipe

Curious--how did you know what was left on the ship?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the TA http://www.OnlineVacationCenter.com They show all available rooms in each category on their site. They are the first place that I look since many of the other sites (RCCL included) only show a handful of available rooms.

I like the TA http://www.OnlineVacationCenter.com They show all available rooms in each category on their site. They are the first place that I look since many of the other sites (RCCL included) only show a handful of available rooms.

Like other US based TAs, they don't show all available cabins. While the US based RCI web site has this same limitation, the UK RCI site has the most comprehensive listing of available cabins that I've found anywhere - though even that one is not complete as it will limit its listing to 50 cabins per category.

Biker, who wonders how long it will take the mods to delete the TA's name.

I booked balcony guarantee on Legend OTS about a month ago, for sailing 5/14/2015. They ended up assigning us a category D2 but we didn't really like the location. I called and they switched us to a better D2 location midship. They assigned the first cabin 36 hours after booking. I'm very pleased with RCI in that regard.