Spa Treatment - Best and Worst

I'm taking my first cruise on the Freedom of the Seas in 6 weeks (Yah!!) and am having a difficult time deciding on a spa treatment. So I was hoping you guys can help me out. What are your very favorites and what ones are a rip off? Thanks in advance!

I'm sure it's the same as any spa on land; totally and completely dependent upon the person giving you the treatment. I've had a lot of massages and few of them have been the same unless they were from the same person. I tend to really like sea salt scrubs. They slough all the dead skin off with a brush (this is where the treatment person makes a huge difference because they are either very thorough with the brush or very lazy with it), then they rub oil and sea salt on you and rinse it off (again, this part can vary because some spas use a wash cloth while others have a shower bed and others make you get up and get into a regular shower), then it's usually followed by a massage, or a partial massage at least. These will make your skin glow, it'll be nice and soft. It's like a facial for the body. The only "problem" is that they can remove spray tans, or any tan you've accumulated, because it's taking off a layer of dead skin, which might at that time be your tan layer. I would ask the cruise spa if there is at least a partial (20 min) massage included and how they'll rinse off the salt (it doesn't really matter but one of the two shower methods is best). If those two things are included I'd do that treatment. Second choice would be a massage.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

My pregnant wife received 5 large round burn after a hot stone message on a Princess ship. After she complained we received a 75.00 OBC for our next cruise. We we checked with the purser after checking in on our next cruise he told us that she had a 750.00 credit. He looked at herd and said with a great British accent, "Oh my, what did we do to you!"

We had one heck of a cruise!

I used to get massages on the ships but found it is better and cheaper to get one at my regular spa facility at home either before or/and of after a cruise.

I don't have to put up with the upselling either.

You can typically get two to three services at home for the price of one service on board.

The only way I would spend the money for a spa service on a cruise is if I had a bunch of freebie OBC that was non-refundable.

Several times during the week the spa will run specials; especially while in port. I usually wait for the 5 mini treatments for $129. My favorite was probably the salt scrub I had done on Freedom years ago. I don't remember the exact name; but the only downside was I was out in the sun a little too much that day. It was a little uncomfortable at first but afterwords I was in heaven.

The salt scrub sounds interesting. I haven't had one of those. I've had a wrap (which I hated!!), several massages (which I LOVE!), facial, and mani/pedi. I'm thinking I'll do the mani/pedi before, but thought it would be fun to do something at the spa since this is my first time on a cruise. Any opinions on whether it's best to do it at the beginning of the trip to start off the relaxation right away or at the end to make the relaxation last as your leaving? Is the spa tour worth attending or the free ladies pampering?

Definitely take advantage of the specials on board. I had a wonderful massage on the Allure. It combined three types of massage, and the hot stones were wonderful. I also got an added discount because I went to the raffle on the first day.