disembarkation in New York

lactmom4sons

we will be coming back from transatlantic round trip NY to great britian to NY. my question is about disembarkation. We will get a cab from brooklyn pier to penn station and our train to Philadelphia is at 12n. can we self disembark? would that be adviceable since our cabin is on the 4th level? do you have any advice to make this easier since we each will have a rolling suitcase and a carry on. thanks for any advice.

we will be coming back from transatlantic round trip NY to great britian to NY. my question is about disembarkation. We will get a cab from brooklyn pier to penn station and our train to Philadelphia is at 12n. can we self disembark? would that be adviceable since our cabin is on the 4th level? do you have any advice to make this easier since we each will have a rolling suitcase and a carry on. thanks for any advice.

Self disembarkation is the fastest way to get off the ship and you can leave as soon as it is cleared by US authorities. You keep you luggage in your stateroom overnight. You might be able to leave as early as 6:30-7AM.

Please note however that in order to do this you will need to get a "self help" disembarkation card for the Purser's Desk - in person - no later than the day before arrival. "Self help" means just that - one must be able to take ALL of their baggage down the gangway in ONE TRIP with no assistance whatsoever. (This is not an option of anybody who has a lot of baggage or compromised physical mobility.)

We are doing a round trip out of New York to Canada... we have lots of time (3pm flight) to get to JFK, would guess picking up a taxi to the airport is not a problem at the pier in Brooklyn. Am I right?

We are on boarded for 14 days, cruise has been sold as two 7 day trips between New York and Quebec City. Am wondering what turn around day will be like for us in Quebec City... any tips on how Cunard handles passengers continuing on?

We always self-disembark and I'm pretty sure the self-disembarkers need to be off the ship before the organized-disembarkation begins, which (if I remember correctly) is about 8:30

Once you are onboard, the purser's desk can tell you the exact time(s), but I'm pretty sure self-disembarkation is between 7 and 8 a.m. I do not believe self-disembarkation would be an option as late as 9 o'clock.

They give you something (a card, I believe) to hand-off in the self-disembarkation queue---so do stop at the purser's desk to get this, sometime during the voyage.

The terminal in Brooklyn has both an escalator option and a couple large elevators, so there should be no difficulties managing your luggage.

Have a great voyage!

The terminal in Brooklyn has both an escalator option and a couple large elevators, so there should be no difficulties managing your luggage.
As I recall, we were told we had to take the elevator because we each had two pieces of luggage and that was one too many for the escalator. That did slow us down a bit, but no real problem. We easily found a cab and made the airport very quickly. With regards to having to wake up early to be the first off the ship, we were already up very early to see the QM2 pass under the bridge, so the whole process was pretty painless.

Hello priss993,

Not too sure If I have understood your question, however, if your voyage has been booked as 'two separate trips' than you will have two different booking reference numbers. If this is correct ? visit the Pursers desk the day before your arrival into Quebec, they will advise you if you need to change your stateroom or not. ?

The morning of arrival you will be issued with a new identification key card (for onboard purchases)

You use the original key card when you disembark ( for example, if you choose to go ashore for the day site seeing or in my case shopping) and present the new key card for when you return back to the ship.

Your onboard account for your first sector will be closed and reopened immediately with your new booking ref number.

Hope this helps :)

Edited by Bell Boy

We always self-disembark and I'm pretty sure the self-disembarkers need to be off the ship before the organized-disembarkation begins, which (if I remember correctly) is about 8:30

Once you are onboard, the purser's desk can tell you the exact time(s), but I'm pretty sure self-disembarkation is between 7 and 8 a.m. I do not believe self-disembarkation would be an option as late as 9 o'clock.

They give you something (a card, I believe) to hand-off in the self-disembarkation queue---so do stop at the purser's desk to get this, sometime during the voyage.

Have a great voyage!

thank you for the information. this will work wonderfully for us. we will look for the elevator.

:)