Why should I choose Norwegian?

ByeByeGirl

Hi everyone, I'm looking to book a cruise for next year and considering Norwegian - I'm thinking about the Escape. I've previously only been on Disney but looking for something more age appropriate for young teens. Why do people choose NCL and why would you recommend them over other cruise lines?

Thanks!

I dont have young teens, but I like NCL for my family (kids are 21, 6 and 3. yes, we're crazy). The nicest part is the "freestyle" part of it - you can do what you want whenever it's convenient. So, if you WANT a fancy dinner at a specialty restaurant, you can schedule it, but otherwise, you can just show up - at the buffet, the MDR, specialty restaurant, or you can order room service. no having to choose a set time to eat every night unless you want to.

Teens (on the Jewel, at least) have a teens club with video games, dance floor, lounge, some teen specific programming, etc. They are allowed to come and go where they wish on the ship, but I suspect that it is the same on all lines (I know it was on Carnival when our oldest was a young teen).

I like RCCL for just my husband and I - I like the quiet of the smaller ships.

Carnival is too...young and partying for my liking.

HAL is TOO quiet.

on the Jewel at spring break, there were a ton of kids (1500?) onboard, but it wasnt a zoo like Carnival (and RCCL, from the stories we traded with pax from that ship in port...40+ college kids all with unlimited booze packages..).

All the crew was super friendly and remembered us from day to day, down to names, even - even the washy washy guys and the restaurant servers that rotated areas.

oh, and from what Ive seen (havent been on disney), you can get either attached rooms or even a 2 bedroom family villa for way cheaper than a balcony on Disney, so the kids can have their own space and you can have some privacy.

I took my husband on his first cruise a few months ago and he loved the laid back feel of NCL. And we are not the type to eat at the same time each day so Freestyle dining worked out great for us. And we made a few friends through Cruise Critic and would get together with a few of them for dinner on some nights.

We've been on lots of cruise lines and all of them have pros and cons. We first experienced NCL in Europe on the Jade in The Haven. We loved that experience so much, we went back the next year in the Owner's Suite and then tried the Epic later that year. Epic was a knockout. We had a spa suite. This is what we liked:

1. Never have to dress up in formalwear or even a suit - significantly lightens the load when packing for the cruise.

2. Best suites of any cruise line with best suite perks. Honestly, we are totally spoiled. We had an Owner's Suite on RCCL's Allure last year and were very disappointed in the suite experience compared with NCL (although we enjoyed the dining and shows on NCL.) If you can do the Haven on NCL, do it. You won't be sorry.

3. Best spa at sea. (definitely get a spa cabin or suite if you can.)

4. Being able to eat in a different restaurant every night.

5. Great entertainment - more the quality of Las Vegas than cruise ship.

6. Amenities like 5 water slides, bowling alley, rock climbing, ropes course, bungee trampoline.

Why you should not choose NCL:

1. You prefer fixed seating dining with same waiters every night.

2. You don't want to make your own schedule and reservations - you prefer the cruise line be responsible for that.

3. You prefer a traditional cruise experience and traditional cruise shows.

4. You don't want butler service (for suite guests.)

Edited by SuiteTraveler

By saying "I", I am assuming that you travel as a single passenger. Norwegian has 4 ships at the moment (another coming in October) that have cabins meant for one person and are price for ONE person. On The Epic, The Breakaway, The Getaway and soon the Escape, there a lounge in the solo cabin area to meet and make dinner arrangements, drinks, excursions with other solo passengers.

I have stayed in the solo cabins and love it. I did not think I would but I do.

By saying "I", I am assuming that you travel as a single passenger. Norwegian has 4 ships at the moment (another coming in October) that have cabins meant for one person and are price for ONE person. On The Epic, The Breakaway, The Getaway and soon the Escape, there a lounge in the solo cabin area to meet and make dinner arrangements, drinks, excursions with other solo passengers.

I have stayed in the solo cabins and love it. I did not think I would but I do.

Actually if you read further into the post the OP says that they are looking for something "age appropriate for young teens". So I'm guessing they won't be traveling solo.