Stay on at port?

elsbarre

Sometimes we stay on board at tender ports because DH doesn't like the small boats. Sometimes folks stay on board because they like having the quiet ship to themselves. Sometimes they've been to the ports many times and don't feel like doing anything there.

Lots of different reasons.

I didn't get off in Progresso last yr and used the empty ship to get a nice chair by the pool and read almost a whole book. I also watched the crew do a life boat drill which was pretty cool and fter 10 cruises I had never seen it before.

I haven't yet stayed on at port but I have only been on 2 cruises so every stop has been a new place for me. However, my favorite part of cruising is the sea days. So I would gladly stay on the boat at a port I have already been to if there was nothing I wanted to do there. If I ever end up in the Bahamas again, you couldn't pay me to get off in Freeport. lol I would much rather enjoy a quiet ship and short buffet lines.

I know some people would rather stay on board while at port and I'm just curious as to why? I've often considered it but just wondering why others do.

because the ports are lame and after you've been hasled to buy crap at the same place before is there really a reason to be hassled again?

On our san jaun cruise it was five port days in a row, I needed a break! I was on vacation! I stayed on ship. it was great.

every other time I end up getting off for some reason or another. I honestly hate shopping and getting all yucky walking around. not my idea of fun.

ports are fun (for me) if we have something planned, but just to see what's there? there' all basically the same.

If I haven't been before, I'll get off. If there's something I'll enjoy, or planne I'l get off. If we go to jamaica again unless we do the falls, i'm staying ON the ship. Cozemel, unless beach day or snorlking (once kid is older), I'll stay on the ship.

I may stay on in keywest. Or I may go to butterfiles (alone, without kid, tried it with kid, she wanted me, I wanted butterfly pictures...didn't work).

We have not stayed on board for an entire port day before, but we really enjoy waiting a few hours and getting off the ship at our leisure, then returning early before the lines to enjoy an easy lunch. We avoid booking early tours because we loathe the long lines in the halls. It's probably the worst part of cruising for us- watching people rush the gangway on port days.

If we have been to a Port many times, we stay on board the ship unless we want to buy something . Then as soon as we buy whatever it is, we get back on board to enjoy the quietness of the ship. No lines & always can get a chair if needed makes for a relaxing day.

Nassau one time was enough for me, so next time we stayed on board. Last cruise we had nothing planned for one port and it was extremely hot and humid so decided to stay on board. That made it a two port eight day cruise and we LOVED that. By the way, the last cruise was on the Sunshine and it was very nice not having a crowd everywhere. I noticed that many people stayed on that day.

Edited by Swampbaby

Last year on the Breeze, we stayed onboard at the Dominican Republic.

2 reasons.......

1. We traveled with our best friends, and their daughter had knee surgery a few weeks prior. Our original plan was the speedboat to Saona Island, but her doctor said that wouldn't be "smart" :rolleyes:

2. That misquote disease was floating around and we hadn't heard great things about the island, UNLESS you had an excursion planned.

We were pleasantly surprised.

We pretty much had the ship to ourselves, or, at least it seemed that way.:rolleyes:

We thoroughly enjoyed our day. We swam, we ate, we drank....good times.:D

On our first cruise, I stayed on board with my 2 younger kids, and my hubby took our 2 older kids zip lining. The empty ship was great. My kids played in the kids club and I took them swimming, it was really nice and relaxing. Now that I have been a on a few more cruises, I would venture off the ship with them alone. But I really did enjoy my time that day on the ship.

Going on a 7 day cruise with extended family for a wedding in October... It will just be me and my 6 year old daughter ( husband has to work and our 3 year old is staying back as well) I actually have zero intentions of getting off the boat. (Unless my sister or mom drag us off)

If we have been to a Port many times, we stay on board the ship unless we want to buy something . Then as soon as we buy whatever it is, we get back on board to enjoy the quietness of the ship. No lines & always can get a chair if needed makes for a relaxing day.

This, and the spa specials are why we sometimes stay or come back way early.

I want to go sit on the beach for a bit and go to cabo wabo but I think I might spend some extra time on the ship! Maybe. Can we use our cheers while docked?

Yes! You can use Cheers on the ship whether you are at Sea or in Port.

I LOVE to stay on the ship. It is such a different experience than on a Sea Day. I like to go from place to place and have my pick of chairs. I have dubbed this my "Serenity Deck" excursion a couple of times :)

The cruise itself is the vacation I am on so , for me, getting off the ship has not been that important for the last few cruises I have been on. I started staying on the ship for one port about 5 cruises ago....on my last cruise I did not get off the ship at all.

We'll be cruising the week after next and probably wont get off the boat at all, maybe just to look around at the souvenir shop in progresso. Staying on the boat is relaxing and free! Cozumel was nice once when we had an excursion, but we didn't enjoy it when we ventured off in our own. This time, we'd rather save the hundred plus dollars and just hang out on the ship. We tend to stay on the ship at least once each cruise.

Edited by mary80

We cruise for destinations and not the ship. Even if we have been to the same port a dozen times we always find a different option to explore. We are somewhat adventurous and don't stay near the commercialized ports often heading as far from Port as time allows giving us the opportunity to really see the cultures in each place we visit. We always have a vehicle rented ahead of time and try to be one of the first off the ship to give us the maximum time at each port. I understand ever one has there own ideas of to what a perfect vacation is. For some it relaxing with a drink by the pool but for us getting out and exploring is what we like. I can always relax at home on my days off from work but I can't just go off and explore different place of the world every week so we make the most of our time on land.

Edited by rtap23