Somehow we survived our cruise last week!

wise456

Just got off the Gem this morning and I am happy to report that despite all of the endless warnings of doom and gloom spouted by the naysayers on this board, not only did we survive but we even managed to have a great time.

I am glad that you had a great time, I can't wait to read your review. It is your perception that matters and I am glad that you survived your vacation and even came back with some nickels and dimes in your pocket :) I hope my trip on the GEM is as good as yours was.

Edited by gwsster

Not to get off topic, but I always have great cruises and so glad to hear you had a great one too. I am always amazed at the negativity of people who obviously 'sweat the small stuff.'

Nickel and Diming? We had the UBP on our last cruise. The only items on our bill was the DSC. (Daily Service Charge). We also get the Platinum perks.

We were on the Star and we did notice the amount of people with cabins near us who had so much wasted food left over from room service. The cabin steward also had the cabin door propped open of the cabin he was cleaning. We couldn't believe the amount of mess and food plates half eaten strew around their cabin. Hopefully a fee will make people more careful when ordering from room service. Such a waste!

(Incidentally -we've never ordered from room service.)

I too just got off the gym yesterday in New York City after nine days. I was told by room service there would be a $3.95 room service charge for any food ordered after 12 midnight however the Irish pub oh Sheehan which is open 24 hours is available at no charge.

We ate at Teppan-Yaki one night and are gratuity was automatically added to our bill. We did not have the ultimate dining package.

Was great meeting some of the cruise critic crew on board and our break even slot pool tournament.

We found the staff and crew to be pleasant and any issues we have with NCL are mainly based on their poor food quality and limited yet reoccurring selections. (I.e. pork tenderloin one night is boneless pork chop tomorrow with a different sauce)

Week two managed to have a great time and we're blessed to have incredible weather the entire way. Plus we were amused by Captain FarFagNewgin (not his real name) and his Swedish Chef (A.k.a. the Muppets) sounding announcements.

The few things that had me kind of miffed was the poor quality of the second city team on board, The poor quality DJ (A Great DJ especially important for a cruise coming from New York City or where you have a very metro crowd who likes to party.), lack of room service selection and quality, the removal of lobster night.

I would not run back to NCL or the Gem in anytime soon (although I do have a previous purchased cruise credit I have to use in the next few years and loved all things about the breakaway..) you know it's not the greatest when my kids are saying they felt carnival was better. LOL

I always say that the cruise is what you make of it. It's about spending time with family and relaxing. Let's face it much of the meals and service we received onboard are much better then we eat on daily basis in our regular lives so who can bitch about that.

So my infamous motto still stands true. I always say "The worst day at sea is better than the best day at the office."

Cheers!

Mark

Edited by UltraxDJS

We too just got off the gem.

We got two bags of laundry on our latitudes

We were not charged any gratuities on the ubp

$11 was the limit in the drinks on the ubp and this enabled us to have everything we wanted

Even better, orchid garden was also complimentary from this cruise onwards.

We too just got off the gem.

We got two bags of laundry on our latitudes

We were not charged any gratuities on the ubp

$11 was the limit in the drinks on the ubp and this enabled us to have everything we wanted

Even better, orchid garden was also complimentary from this cruise onwards.

Just wondering...

was the UBP a part of a promo you booked?

Harriet

Just got off the Gem this morning and I am happy to report that despite all of the endless warnings of doom and gloom spouted by the naysayers on this board, not only did we survive but we even managed to have a great time.

SOOOO glad to read this. We board the Gem on 5/9 and can hardly wait! :D

Great short review and very much appreciated, wise 456, Only two naysayers out of 35 posts is pretty good. It's really nice to see threads finally turning the other way.

We have a 2016 cruise booked on the Breakaway, and we just booked our 2017 cruise on the Jade. We're really looking forward to getting back on NCL ships. HAL is nice, but it's just not NCL.

Edited by Cruise_More_Often

As of now, only the Breakaway and Getaway have the room service charge. As you were on the GEM you wouldn't see it as it, at this time, does not exist on the Gem.

If you purchased the UDP prior to the auto gratuity for the UDP you wouldn't see it. If the UDP was a part of your promo you wouldn't see the auto gratuity either.

Same about the auto gratuity for the UBP that I mentioned about for the UDP.

No one ever reported that the bottle of wine wasn't still included with the Platinum perks. It has been mentioned that CAS no longer is giving a bottle of wine with their comped diner.

So, the fact that you were on the GEM and not the Breakaway and/or Getaway makes a huge difference in regard to your statement about gratuity for room service.

The fact that you probably either purchased the UBP and UDP prior to the new rules OR had it has a part of your cruise promo makes a huge difference as well.

Harriet

Thank you.

According to these two you need to book one of the new ships w/o the ongoing promos. They're sure you will spend more and have a more miserable time and swear to never sail NCL again upon your return!

According to these two you need to book one of the new ships w/o the ongoing promos. They're sure you will spend more and have a more miserable time and swear to never sail NCL again upon your return!

DON'T DARE YOU PUT WORDS IN MY MOUTH!!!

I stated and I'll state it again...

Only the Breakaway and the Getaway has the service charge implemented for room service. As the OP said he didn't see it I was pointing out the reason was because he was on the GEM.

Anyone that purchased the UDP and/or the UBP before they added the auto gratuities in the specialty restaurants or upped the auto gratuity for the UBP would not see whose NO MATTER what ship they were/are on.....same goes with any that received the UBP and/or the UDP as a promo when they booked their cruise.

I NEVER said one couldn't or wouldn't have a good time.

HOW DARE YOU! (Yes, I'm in caps because I AM yelling!)

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

DON'T DARE YOU PUT WORDS IN MY MOUTH!!!

I stated and I'll state it again...

Only the Breakaway and the Getaway has the service charge implemented for room service. As the OP said he didn't see it I was pointing out the reason was because he was on the GEM.

Anyone that purchased the UDP and/or the UBP before they added the auto gratuities in the specialty restaurants or upped the auto gratuity for the UBP would not see whose NO MATTER what ship they were/are on.....same goes with any that received the UBP and/or the UDP as a promo when they booked their cruise.

I NEVER said one couldn't or wouldn't have a good time.

HOW DARE YOU! (Yes, I'm in caps because I AM yelling!)

Harriet

Apparently sarcasm is lost on you. Chill out and take a NCL cruise. Cruise like a Norwegian!:cool:

[quote name='hpecorari']It wasn't sarcasm....but good try at back peddling.

Harriet[/QUOTE]

Actually it was - a very blatant one at that....It even made me chuckle because its true - NCL's CC forum nay-sayers really are their best cheerleaders...:p