Internet on Magic

bdziewit

I have a few internet questions. I have one of those jobs that will require that I be online for a little bit in the morning and a little bit in the evening. This is why we don't get to cruise that much. I have sent all of the information to our IT and cell carrier in order to be able to get online and use the phone. Will I be able to use my laptop with an air card if set up properly with Verizon, or will I have to go to the internet café to get online. Also, will the email on my cell work if Verizon puts me on an international plan. I am scared that I will get onboard and have no access. I guess worse case scenario I can just use the café and pay for a package or something. Any insight?

I don't have an answer about your air card, but I can tell you how my DH works (he has to check in about every 24 hours or so).

He doesn't use cell phone - uses his laptop, which you should be able to use from anywhere on the ship.

He signs in on the regular Carnival internet and downloads all email. Then he goes offline and reads his email and composes any responses needed. Then he logs back online so that email will send, logging off when complete.

He does this as often as he needs to, and simply submits the internet fees to his company on an expense report. I don't think he's ever spent more than $40.00 or so during a 7 day cruise.

He will use his phone to check if we are at a port where we can find free internet at a bar or restaurant, and that can save him paying for access on the ship.

The Verizon air card will only work where there are Verizon towers or contract-agreed towers (roaming, etc). Your best bet is to use the cafe or the ship's wi-fi. When you get to the ports, there are areas that offer wi-fi or you can use your air card (or mobile hotspot on wireless phone -- depends on plan).

• 3 weeks later...

Keep in mind that the ship is using satellite communications for both WiFi and cell. The ship is moving of course making it more difficult and sometimes communications are interrupted for a short time causing connections to be reestablished. With thousands on board with tablets, laptops and cell phones, communications can get very slow as they all try to use the services at the same time. Response time for WiFi can be extremely slow or virtually non-available. This is not the land based services we have all become accustomed to having available.

We're on the Magic in 20 days so thank you for creating this post. My three year old MUST watch Barney and Super Why for at least 30-45 minutes via her PBS kids app before going to bed at night or there will be furniture moving....so this is helpful info as we will need to purchase some sort of internet package.

I thought that the Magic had the unlimited high speed package for $99.00??

Can anyone confirm?

• 10 months later...