Drink Package Exchange Rate For Canadians

I know there is an abundance of forums on the beverage packages from RCCL, but I am a little confused about the exchange rate for Canadians.

On the RCCL website the Ultimate Beverage Package is $55 US, when I do the exchange rate it converts to $69.28 CAD. If I log into our Transatlantic cruise, Allure of The Seas, October 18-Nov 6/15, the Ultimate Package is indicating it is $79 CAD, $10 more than the exchange rate.

Any ideas as to why? I was told by Royal Caribbean even though we are in Europe, onboard charges will be in US funds :confused:

I know there is an abundance of forums on the beverage packages from RCCL, but I am a little confused about the exchange rate for Canadians.

On the RCCL website the Ultimate Beverage Package is $55 US, when I do the exchange rate it converts to $69.28 CAD. If I log into our Transatlantic cruise, Allure of The Seas, October 18-Nov 6/15, the Ultimate Package is indicating it is $79 CAD, $10 more than the exchange rate.

Any ideas as to why? I was told by Royal Caribbean even though we are in Europe, onboard charges will be in US funds :confused:

Add on the18% for gratuities. $55 x 18% gratuity is $64.90 x 1.21 (royals Appx exchange) is $78.59

All onboard charges on any RCI ship are always processed in US currency.

If you haven't already checked out the Canadian Cruisers thread here are some tips,

Check to see the cost of prepaying your gratuities. Many have paid them early and been given a price in CDN that was slightly less than paying in US on board. I paid $82.65 CDN for a 7 day cruise ahead of time vs $84 US on board.

You can call C&A and purchase US$ OBC ahead of time. As of a couple of days ago there was only a 110% exchange rate. $500 US was only costing $550 CDN.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

On the advice of some on this board I bought OBC (USD) with my CAD at a 10% exchange rate. I then plan on buying the drink package on the ship. I figure that brings my cost to $60.50 CAN/day plus tips/taxes/whatever. I don't know if they are still offering that exchange but that is the best way to go.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2159570&highlight=canadians

Edited by oshoguno