laundry on the Prisendam

VUCruiser

We have had items washed and pressed on board (including on HAL ships) in the past, have been very satisfied with the work, and have paid a per item fee. We are taking a 15 day transatlantic (yippee!) and are wondering if they have a price that will cover all laundry during that time, and if so, does anyone know how much that is? We are not in a suite, which I believe has that benefit included, but would be interested in purchasing such a "package".

Also, we have never used the self service laundry, but we have never gone for such a long trip. Previous posts indicated something like $2.00/load to wash and $1.00 to dry. Do you need coins to use these machines and are they open 24/7?

Many Thanks!

We were on the Prinsendam in July. The self service laundry is FREE. There are two different locations. One on the main deck had double decker washer/dryers. Easy to keep track of where your dryer and washer are. I don't know if they were full size or not. We used the self service on Verandah deck, where they were full size washer and dryers. There were 3 or 4 of each. Since they were free, and no one else was doing laundry, I spread my laundry around to all the dryers so it would dry faster. The dryers seemed to be very slow even compared to my gas dryer at home.

To dispense the soap, you just push a button and it was delivered to the washer (one washer, the button was missing, so you went the soap holder and used the cup there). I am allergic to a lot of soaps and bounce but didn't have a problem with the soap on the ship - thank goodness otherwise I would have fit right in on lobster night.

I did laundry on the day we got on the ship (we had been in Ireland 10 days and really needed clean clothing) and then I did it about on the 11th day. The laundry room seemed to be open 24 hours a day, didn't see any times listed.

Carol

We were on the Prinsendam in Dec/04 and my wife said that she paid $2 to wash and $1 to dry per load. I know that the previous post said it was free, but in our travels on HAL we have never seen a free laundry on any ship. If you are in a suite then you do get free laundry service. As for how long the laundry is open it is 24 hours 7 days per week. That is one reason you dont want the cabin opposite the laundry.:D Also the machines take quarters which you can always get at the front desk, they cost 4 for a dollar!!!:eek:

There is not a charge, we have spent over 200 days on the Lady P you can pay flat fee of $12 per bag for laundry ( per bag charge ) Because of size of ship you will have the choice both are easy. We are envious of any trip on the Lady.happy sailing Alsas

To dispense the soap, you just push a button and it was delivered to the washer (one washer, the button was missing, so you went the soap holder and used the cup there).
We used the one on deck 10, and it no longer has the automatic dispenser. You must go get some from a container on the wall and place it in the drum. But washing and drying are free, so who cares? :)

There is a package offered for unlimited laundry, priced by length of cruise, but I didn't inquire so don't know what it is now.

We were just on the Prinsendam and paid for unlimited pressing and unlimited laundry. One was $95 for the two weeks and one was $30 for the two weeks. Very reasonable and well worth the money as we do not care to do our own laundry or pressing when we cruise. We sent out bags each day and they were returned the next afternoon. I would highly recommend it.

Karen

We sailed on the Prinsendam in Jun/04 and paid $95 for 2 weeks of unlimited laundry ... money well spent! We left the laundry bag on the bed in our cabin every morning and our cabin steward would take care of it for us. Next morning we'd receive this beautiful little wicker basket with small items folded and sealed in tissue with a gold HAL seal on it. Bigger things like golf shirts, slacks, capris, etc., were delivered on hangars. Interestingly enough, they ironed everything - including DH's boxers and my little white tennis socks! Neither DH nor I want to spend any of our precious vacation time doing laundry, so we gladly pay the fee! :)

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

We purchased a laundry/dry cleaning/ pressing package for the world tour before we left. The pricing was in with a list of packages that could be prepurchased and was sent to us shortly after final payment. I beleive the "laundry by the bag" option is $15.00. It's amazing how much you can stuff in one of those bags... probably 3 or 4 days worth of clothes for 2, if you roll them very tight and really stuff the bag... so that might be an option to consider. So far, the self service laundries are free, hopefully that won't change...

There is not a charge, we have spent over 200 days on the Lady P you can pay flat fee of $12 per bag for laundry ( per bag charge ) Because of size of ship you will have the choice both are easy. We are envious of any trip on the Lady.happy sailing Alsas

Alsas, you were on the 2005 World Cruise with us, weren't you? I don't believe we ever got a chance to meet you, though. I think we were supposed to meet in the crow's nest after LA sailaway, but somehow we were delayed and missed you... my apologies..

Hi AtSeaDaze or anyone else --

A couple questions, we are going to be on a 12 day cruise on the Prinsendam in about 6 weeks (Venice to Lisbon)....

-- was the 2-week unlimited laundry $95 or $30?

-- since we are only on a 12-day cruise, do you think that this or something similar will be offered (I was wondering if they just catered to this when there were longer cruises).

I told my husband that we would probably have to do laundry at least once (I was planning on bringing some detergent and quarters!!)....

Thanks for the info.... I saw this thread and it started me thinking :confused: .... 'tho I should be focusing on the important things -- planning what to do in each port!!

Thanks a lot -- Kathy :) :D :)

We were on the same Prinsendam cruise as the Hannahs and Karen and Bob. We signed up for the $95 per cabin laundry plan for the 2 weeks of the cruise. It was worth every penny. There was also a plan for so much $ to fill a bag, but I can't recall the cost. Items were returned either on hangers or folded - usually within 24 hours. We were very pleased. We have always had complimentary laundry service on our other cruises. We were pleased with the quality of the service on HAL then just as we were on the Prinsendam last week.

Kay Stroud, Las Vegas

We were on the Prinsendam in Dec/04 and my wife said that she paid $2 to wash and $1 to dry per load. I know that the previous post said it was free, but in our travels on HAL we have never seen a free laundry on any ship. If you are in a suite then you do get free laundry service. As for how long the laundry is open it is 24 hours 7 days per week. That is one reason you dont want the cabin opposite the laundry.:D Also the machines take quarters which you can always get at the front desk, they cost 4 for a dollar!!!:eek:
After placing this response earlier and reading the replies, I went back to my wife and said to her, everybody is saying the washing machines on the Prinsendam were free. Her reply was "thats right they were free"!!!!!:eek: So I stand corrected, but I was at least partial correct in saying they are open 24 hours!

After placing this response earlier and reading the replies, I went back to my wife and said to her, everybody is saying the washing machines on the Prinsendam were free. Her reply was "thats right they were free"!!!!!:eek: So I stand corrected, but I was at least partial correct in saying they are open 24 hours!

I think we know who DOESN'T do the laundry in your family, Bruce:D

I'll bet she put the quarters you gave her in the slot machines...

I think we know who DOESN'T do the laundry in your family, Bruce:D

I'll bet she put the quarters you gave her in the slot machines...

Yes you are correct on the laundry chores!! Also if you read between the lines you can detect on how close she listen's to me!:eek: I'll check on the quarters, if I dont return check to see when the funeral is!:D

Thanks to all for the great info. Based on your input, we will likely do the $95/2 weeks of laundry. Going home with clean laundry is an added plus. Good to know about the free machines in case there is something we'd rather not send out, and I am sure those quarters will find another way into HAL's hands. Thanks again!

We did our own laundry on our 28 day Amazon Cruise in Nov. 04 on the Prinsendam. It was free---The only thing I would recommend that you take is sheets of fabric softner for the dryer. The ship doesn't have them. Penny

My neatknick other half is the one who does laundry when we cruise. I let him get on with it...........who am I to argue!

On 10/14 day+ cruises. I send formal shirts to the laundry and have pressing done as needed. Most everything we travel with is drip dry or steamer touchupable :)

At last we meet up sorry we missed you in the crows nest waited had a few drinks and never saw you. It was a wonderful journey. We are going on the Statendam in April from Hong Kong to Vancouver only 32 days, hopefully the world in 2007. One day we will meet up. Loved your posts on the world cruise. Happy sailings Alsas.

My DW and I were on the Prinsendam out of Piraeus on June 4th and chose the $95 unlimited laundry option which she found fantastic.

The only negative comment that I heard upon our recent return home was....."don't expect me to iron your boxers" :)

I have been meaning to write a report on our fabulous Black Sea cruise but I just need a few spare days :mad:

Cristiano.

We were on the Prinsendam in Sept 04 with Jim and Cactus Lady and a few others. The self-service laundry was free, and Susan was down there one day: somebody grabbed the phone and called room service and they had a party!

Lane

Archived