Passport and Driver's License ?

pjtjmn

Hi all,

Okay, newbie here, and I have what I believe is an unusual question...

When you board the ship, do they check BOTH your passport and your driver's license? Or is the passport alone enough?

In case you're curious why I'm asking - After I got married, I changed my middle name to my maiden name.

When my DH and I got passports a few years ago, I didn't notice that he filled out my application with my given middle name. It didn't seem to matter, because at the time, my drivers license didn't have any middle name, and that trip was canceled anyway.

Fast forward a few years, and we recently moved to a new state which requires a middle name on your DL.

So, now I'm in the pickle that my DL and passport have the same first and last name, but different middle names!

So.... I think that I'm okay to travel, as I have a passport in order to check into the ship, and heaven forbid need to travel back to the states... But I'm not positive whether my DL will be needed for anything, and if the middle name mix up will be an issue.

So, please let me know whether your DL is compared to your passport..

Thanks

Edited by pjtjmn

FYI: A passport supersedes all forms of identification anywhere in the world.

If asked for only one form of identification and a passport is presented, nothing else would be required.

A lot of people leave their passports onboard in the safe.

Okay, OP here with a follow up question..

I thought that the big reason you "should" bring your passport is in the event that you are left behind at a port.

But, it would make me nervous to take it out of the safe. If we stop at a beach area, and want to swim, where do I leave my documents and $$$?

Are there typically safes available at ports?

I thought that the big reason you "should" bring your passport is in the event that you are left behind at a port.

But, it would make me nervous to take it out of the safe. If we stop at a beach area, and want to swim, where do I leave my documents and $$$?

Many feel that the passport is safer in the safe than on their person and believe that the ship will take the passport out of the safe if they miss the ship and turn it over to the port agent. Many also feel the opposite, that the passport does them no good in the safe and feel better having it on their person. I personally haven't decided how we are going to handle it since we've never had passports before, although I am leaning toward leaving it on the ship since the odds of actually missing the ship are quite small (especially for me, I am very anal about getting back in time- missing ship's movement was a very big no-no in the Navy).

We used to leave our passports in the safe. Then I realized I was missing out on getting them stamped at the ports so now we take them with us, but only for that reason. We have NEVER feared missing the ship, even though we book almost all of our excursions with private companies.

There are not safes at ports. Some of the beach areas or excursion spots might have lockers. We just put out passports in the very bottom of our giant beach bag and tie it to the lounger. We always keep our stuff within sight. I hope it would take someone too long to try and untie our bag and dig through it, making it not worth the time.

I myself have to renew my passport before our cruise in Sept. I am going to pay the extra money and get the passport, as well as the passport card. The passport card doesn't work in all things - but having it when I get off the ship is better than nothing. And my passport can remain in the safe.

In the past I took a picture of my passport with my phone so at least all my info was there - but then again, I am always back at the ship well before we are due. I am kind of paranoid that way... :D

Might be asked for your ID getting back into the ship at one of your ports. Don't worry as your ship card only has your first and last name.

Passport will suffice for this.

A lot of people leave their passports onboard in the safe.

I was commenting that a passport is a sufficient form of id for returning to the ship.

I personally haven't decided how we are going to handle it since we've never had passports before, although I am leaning toward leaving it on the ship since the odds of actually missing the ship are quite small (especially for me, I am very anal about getting back in time- .

What then is the purpose in obtaining a passport, taking it along on a cruise if you are too afraid to take it out of the safe ?? I see some people say this and wonder why bother even getting a passport ?

They do sell inexpensive waterproof bags made just the size of a passport that clip around your waist.

What then is the purpose in obtaining a passport, taking it along on a cruise if you are too afraid to take it out of the safe ?? I see some people say this and wonder why bother even getting a passport ?

They do sell inexpensive waterproof bags made just the size of a passport that clip around your waist.

My concern would be having it get lost or stolen...

There are some itins where the cruise line holds passengers passports.

But why have one if you are not going to use it for it's one and only intended purpose ??

Definitely good points and I used to carry my passport off the ship. Now I take drivers license at the most. My only fear is losing passport since your passport number stays with you for life! I don't want the wrong person to have my number. However, your drivers license number stays the same forever too in same state. I guess not losing them ever is best strategy. Lol

Thousands upon thousands cruise with only a birth certificate and drivers license. I am sure they do not take their BC onshore. All they need to reboard the ship is the ship card and a photo ID (drivers license).

Very few take their passports ashore and even fewer ever miss the ship.

We're experienced cruisers and have done some non-cruise international travel. If I leave the US or a cruise ship, my passport is with me. We have multiple waterproof containers to hold our valuables if everyone in our group decides to do something in the water (at the same time) off ship. I've never needed it and have never missed a ship in pushing 40 cruises. It's insurance and like insurance, you don't need it, until you NEED IT.

Just my 2 cents, I'm certainly not trying to convince anyone to do the same. To each his own.

As I said, I'm still making up my own mind and we've never cruised with a passport before but it's a matter of risk analysis similar to the decision to obtain the passport in the first place- what is the risk of having it lost, stolen or damaged versus the risk of missing the ship? I would think that for most people the risk of missing the ship is far less than the risk of losing it, having it stolen or having it damaged (spilling a cup of coffee on it or getting it doused with sea water might damage it enough to render it unusable after all).

DW and I have done all of our cruises without passports and on the last cruise we had Enhanced Drivers Licenses, so we are actually talking about possibly leaving the passports at home for cruises in the Western Hemisphere and leaving them with someone that can overnight them to us should the need arise. But then we did not obtain the passports to use on cruises, we obtained them for the international air travel that we will be doing later this year.

But then we did not obtain the passports to use on cruises, we obtained them for the international air travel that we will be doing later this year.

I sure hope you are able to deal with carrying your passports on your person during your upcoming international travel - friendly "chide" only :)

Enjoy your travel, it is incredible to visit some of the spectacular places in the world.