Rookie cruisers with lots of questions!

4 rookies

We are going on our first cruise in 6 weeks..4 day RC to Nassau, CocoCay and Key West.

My questions include...any recent recommendations for spending the Nassau day at the Melia Beach resort vs going to Blue Lagoon Island? I couldn't find prices for non-motorized water activities at Blue Lagoon, but both look beautiful! We have 2 adults and 2 older teenagers and we LOVE beaches. I called the Melia and was told non-motorized water activities included in $35 fee, but I worry about getting our own transportation.

If we snorkel at Coco Cay, does everyone just snorkel off the beach, or is there a good excursion recommended? Are there seashells to be found? Should we bring our own volleyball for the beach?

When will on-ship entertainment be posted? We have the flex dining, but didn't know when to book dinner since I couldn't find the show times posted. We will probably avoid comedians since we have teenagers and don't want any off color humor...

Is the beach in Key West in walking distance from the dock and is the bike tour fun for all ages?

Are water bottles available on the ship to bring with us on excursions? Can we pack water bottles? What about packaged granola bars, etc or should we bring them?

Any other suggestions welcome...I have gotten tons of great info on TripAdvisor over the years for which I am really grateful!

We are going on our first cruise in 6 weeks..4 day RC to Nassau, CocoCay and Key West.

My questions include...any recent recommendations for spending the Nassau day at the Melia Beach resort vs going to Blue Lagoon Island? I couldn't find prices for non-motorized water activities at Blue Lagoon, but both look beautiful! We have 2 adults and 2 older teenagers and we LOVE beaches. I called the Melia and was told non-motorized water activities included in $35 fee, but I worry about getting our own transportation.

If we snorkel at Coco Cay, does everyone just snorkel off the beach, or is there a good excursion recommended? Are there seashells to be found? Should we bring our own volleyball for the beach?

When will on-ship entertainment be posted? We have the flex dining, but didn't know when to book dinner since I couldn't find the show times posted. We will probably avoid comedians since we have teenagers and don't want any off color humor...

Is the beach in Key West in walking distance from the dock and is the bike tour fun for all ages?

Are water bottles available on the ship to bring with us on excursions? Can we pack water bottles? What about packaged granola bars, etc or should we bring them?

Any other suggestions welcome...I have gotten tons of great info on TripAdvisor over the years for which I am really grateful!

I think you would be happy with either Melia or Blue Lagoon. Cabs are plentiful as soon as you step off the ship so no worries there.

Cocoa Cay is beautiful and I remember seeing people snorkel from the beach. I do believe they have excursions that would take you further out, you just need to check with your cruiseline. I don't remember seeing sea shells.....

Every evening in your cabin you will receive a newsletter with the next day's shows and different activities around the ship. If you have the flex dining you should have no problem doing all you want to do. There will usually be 2 show times to accommodate the different dining times.

I would not consider Key West a beach day.....it is really not known for that. We usually do the hop on/hop off trolley (City View-book online) and that way we get around to all we wish to see. Key West is more of a walking/exploring port.

Most cruiselines allow you to bring bottled water onboard although the water on the ship is just fine. You would need to bring your own water bottle, but please use a clean glass near the drink station to pour the water into your bottle. They do not want to risk the chance of contamination by touching a personal water bottle to the spout.

You would need to bring your own "pre-packaged" snacks for excursions if you wish granola bars etc. That will be the only kind of food allowed off the ship. They have dogs sniffing for fruit, etc taken from the ship and will take it from you if they find it.

I hope I have been able to help you somewhat......have a great cruise!!

Welcome to Cruise Critic. there are boards here for all of the cruise lines, and your questions about dining and entertainment can be answered on the Royal Caribbean board, under Cruise Lines P-Z. There are also boards here for Ports of Call, and the one for Private Islands can probably answer all of your questions about Coco Cay. You could also ask those questions on the royal board. EM

Thanks for the information! Still debating between Melia Beach Resort, British Colonial Hilton, Blue Lagoon Island, or Rainbow Reef snorkeling in Nassau, but they all sound great! Also checking into dolphin/snorkel cruises in Key West, but will definitely take time to tour downtown and see the architecture, etc. Thanks again!

Key West is one of our favorite stops since my DD and SIL were living there when my Grandson was born. I agree with everyone else. Key West beaches are not the best. Take the trolley/conch train that will let you get on and off. We've been to Blue Lagoon and LOVED it, and did the Dolphin Encounter there. Try CocoCay for snorkeling.