Daniel's Head Beach Park

Sandy1975

I am interested in doing Stand Up Paddle boarding (SUP) and I read great things about SurfSup, which operates out of Daniel's Head Beach.

I read that you can take the Bus #7 or #8 and then walk but that it can be a long walk. What is considered a long walk: 0.5 mile, 1 mile, etc?

Is it doable by bus or should I get a taxi if I want to go there. I would like to do the most cost effective way.

Also, I am not sure if I want to buy the bus passes or tokens. I am not sure I understand the 3 zone token fare. Is horseshoe bay considered to be part of the 3 zone token from the dockyard? Thanks

So I did some search on Daniel's Head Beach and read that some consider it to be rundown. Is that the case? The company I was going to use for paddle boarding SurfSup, according to some, is not very formal with their hours of operations. I contacted them through FB and they said they would be open in late May but just wanted to get thoughts from those that are in Bermuda or are familiar with this area.

Thanks

Some would call it informal. Some would say laid back. The paddle boards we rented were very nice. For us, it kind of felt like visiting your cousin's house at the town beach. Not very classy or overly professional, but very friendly and relaxed. We had a good time.

Since you said you did some searching, I assume you already found this thread?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2086719

Some would call it informal. Some would say laid back. The paddle boards we rented were very nice. For us, it kind of felt like visiting your cousin's house at the town beach. Not very classy or overly professional, but very friendly and relaxed. We had a good time.

Since you said you did some searching, I assume you already found this thread?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2086719

Yes, I read that thread and found your responses helpful. I guess i will just have to confirm with them that it will be opened for the day. Would you consider the area run down? Or should i just try the place at Black Beach? I have been there before and it seemed nice.

We did this last Sept. We bought the tickets to take the little train over. It's owned by the man who owns Oleander at the Dockyard. he told us it wasn't working and gave us a ride over in his van. He asked us when we wanted to return and he would come back for us and gave us his cell# also.

The area is the old 9 beaches property which is no longe rin business. The place was a ghost town when we got there but the man from Oleander called the owner of SurfSUP and he came over and opened up his shop. He was very nice, helpful and friendly.

The beach is small and others did eventually show up including a lady who lives on the island that we talked to for a while. The was some type of concession stand there but it wasn't open. The SUP guy sells waters.

We had a very nice peaceful relaxing time. Saw lots of turtles, fish and even an octopus- I had also brought my snorkel mask and there was a lot to see off of the right side by some rocks.

We plan to return this Sept.

I have some pictures but can't seem to link them here from FB

Edited by russianmom

Yes, I read that thread and found your responses helpful. I guess i will just have to confirm with them that it will be opened for the day. Would you consider the area run down? Or should i just try the place at Black Beach? I have been there before and it seemed nice.

I had tried to do Paddle Boarding at Black Beach, but it was not available at the time, that is when I searched and learned about Daniel's Head.

"Run down" is very subjective. Compared to most of the South Shore beaches, Daniel's Head would probably disappoint. Compared to Snorkel Park or Black Beach, I think Daniel's Head is fine. Also, I went in mid-August and there were probably 20 visitors at the time. Still very uncrowded, but by no means deserted. Going earlier in the season could make a difference.

I wish I could help you more, but my experience is limited to our one pleasant day there.

I think I am just going to try it. It has great reviews in the Advisor site (which is how I discovered it!) and I am just going to make sure I let them know I will be coming so that they are opened.

This will be my third time in Bermuda and have done HSB several times, Church Bay and even Tobacco Bay (which to me that was not a good beach!) So I think I will welcome and uncrowded peaceful beach.

I will inquire about the train too as that seem to be the easiest way to get there. Thanks again!!

This will be my third time in Bermuda and have done HSB several times, Church Bay and even Tobacco Bay (which to me that was not a good beach!) So I think I will welcome and uncrowded peaceful beach.

You're right, Tobacco Bay is not a good beach. small, not flat, if you just want to spend a day at a beach. However, it's hard to beat for walk in snorkeling.

It's a shame that everything was demolished at St. Catherine's Beach since it was large, flat and had full facilities. Here we are, how many years later and nothing has been developed on the old Club Med site, which is why everything was torn down at St. Catherine.:(

You're right, Tobacco Bay is not a good beach. small, not flat, if you just want to spend a day at a beach. However, it's hard to beat for walk in snorkeling.

It's a shame that everything was demolished at St. Catherine's Beach since it was large, flat and had full facilities. Here we are, how many years later and nothing has been developed on the old Club Med site, which is why everything was torn down at St. Catherine.:(

My wife always went to St. Catherine's beach when we were docked in St. George's, but the last time ( a couple of years ago) she felt uncomfortable because it was so deserted and didn't stay very long.

• 1 month later...

We are leaving on the Dawn on Friday (5/29). We thought about going to Daniel's Head Beach Park on Sunday. Is there transportation that would bring you close to the beach? My MIL could not make the trek from the bus stop. She can get around short distances. Would we be able to rent chairs, umbrellas, snorkeling equipment?? I have read that there was a small restaurant there. Is this still open? Thanks for your help! :)

We are leaving on the Dawn on Friday (5/29). We thought about going to Daniel's Head Beach Park on Sunday. Is there transportation that would bring you close to the beach? My MIL could not make the trek from the bus stop. She can get around short distances. Would we be able to rent chairs, umbrellas, snorkeling equipment?? I have read that there was a small restaurant there. Is this still open? Thanks for your help! :)

To get close to Daniels Head you should take a taxi. There was an open air train-like vehicle that took people there but I have no idea if it's still running.

There was (or is a concessionaire) there that you can rent various equipment from.

My impression is that this beach caters to a younger, active crowd so it may not be the best spot for your MIL.

Edited by njhorseman