Self-Service Laundry Gone?

jhannah

OMG!!! I'm on Amsterdam in a couple of weeks! I read your post and checked the HAL site. You're right! The self-serve laundries on Amsterdam are gone. So I looked at the rest. It seems that the S class still have theirs but they appear to be gone on the R class. I'm going to call HAL today and get clarification.

Update! Update! I just talked to Ships Services and the rep said that the self-service laundries have been removed from the R-class ships. They are still on the S-class. Bummer!

Any explanation as to why?

I apparently got bad info from the Ship Services rep that I spoke to. Here's an email I received this morning (after querying Ship Services via email):

HAL Ship Services (HAL) (HAL_Ship_Services@HollandAmerica.com) 10:04 AM

clear.gif

To:xxxxxxx Cc: HAL Ship Services (HAL)

Good morning,

We apologize for the miscommunication in regards to self-service laundry facilities onboard. The ms Amsterdam, as well as the other S and R class ships do still have the self-service laundry facilities and they are not being removed during dry dock. Again, we do apologize for the incorrect information you have received and we will review procedures to ensure that this problem will not recur.

If you have any additional questions do not hesitate to contact us. We are available by telephone Monday – Friday 7am – 5pm PDT at 1-800-541-1576.

Thank you and Kind regards,

And that should finally put an end to this thread :)

Can't the same be said for smoking on board? Are these same entities wanting that stopped? I've noticed more house fires attributed to cigarettes than to laundry rooms. ;)

Not sure which cruise lines are giving you fire information -or perhaps you work for one?

In the cruise industry as a whole, the greatest number of accidental fires occur in the incinerators - just about the best places for them to happen.

The second greatest fire location is the engine room.

#3 is Ship Laundries / Self Service Laundries.

#4 is candles in guest staterooms

#5 is irons/hair curlers/other heat producing machines in guest staterooms

#6 is cigarettes in crew cabins (smoking in crew cabins has already been stopped on several lines)

#7 is cigarettes in guest staterooms

The few cruise lines that still have self service laundries on ships are re-thinking the entire idea. Lloyds Registry and several national Coast Guards claim that these areas are fire hazards and want them removed.

You may notice that most new ships no longer have self service laundries.

The CDC is also taking a hard look at them as sources of NLV contamination.

When a passenger is ill and soils his or her clothing, they are often too embarrassed to send the clothing to the ship's laundry. More likely, they do not want the ship to know they are sick, so they will not be confined and miss a shore excursion or a meal.

So they sneak it down to the self-service laundry and wash/dry it there.

But the self service laundry does not have the steam heat that the ship's laundry has. The water in the self-service laundry is not hot enough to kill the live Norovirus spores left in the washing machine by the previous user.

The environmentally friendly soaps that are supplied in many ship's self service laundries are not very effective in ridding the clothing of NLV spores.

If you have the bad luck to use the washing machine after an ill passenger has used it, your clothing is now contaminated. The heat in a marine grade clothes dryer is not high enough to kill the spores either.

It's all in the luck of the draw.

With respect I have never read such fantasy on the CC boards.