I am disappointed....

terri910

Hubby and I spent weeks researching cruises....we wanted to find a nice long cruise for our group, preferably a Trans-Atlantic, at a really good price. We narrowed the list down to about 20 cruises, of which maybe only two were Carnival cruises. And when it came right down to it, Carnival's best prices were nowhere near NCL's. :(

So, yes, we are booked on a 21-night cruise for under $60/night pp, but it is on NCL! <insert crying smilie here>

This happened last year, too. We always used to be fairly certain to find great pricing on Carnival, but lately it seems they are getting beat out. And I wonder if Carnival is feeling too "comfortable" about their loyal customers.

It's true -- we DO love Carnival cruises. All things being equal, we will choose Carnival EVERY time. Even if things were ALMOST equal, we would choose Carnival. But it is difficult to justify $100/night vs. $60/night pp. Especially over 21 nights.

I hope this isn't a permanent trend.

Eyes wide open for NCL...

Lots and lots of changes, upcharges, new fees and service cuts...

Even if you read your T&C things are subject to change at the drop of the hat-sometimes even mid-cruise....

As a platinum NCL'er I've cancelled my next 2 cruises and am looking to book w/ CCL or RCCL

It's all about supply, demand, loading factors, etc, etc. Fir the criteria you're looking at right now, NCL apparently is still trying to fill up the sailing. Nothing wrong with NCL BTW. Several aspects of NCL trump Carnival for me, but I bounce between HAL, NCL and Carnival freely :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Eyes wide open for NCL...

Lots and lots of changes, upcharges, new fees and service cuts...

Even if you read your T&C things are subject to change at the drop of the hat-sometimes even mid-cruise....

As a platinum NCL'er I've cancelled my next 2 cruises and am looking to book w/ CCL or RCCL

Yes, unfortunately, I am already having to kind of "hang out" on the NCL forums to keep up on stuff.....and there is a thread that says starting May 1st they will be charging for Room Service, any time of day. Either $4.95 or $7.95. Aaaargh!

I mean, don't get me wrong -- We will have a fun cruise, but it is as if the things we LOVE about cruising are being screwed around with.

It's all about supply, demand, loading factors, etc, etc. Fir the criteria you're looking at right now, NCL apparently is still trying to fill up the sailing. Nothing wrong with NCL BTW. Several aspects of NCL trump Carnival for me, but I bounce between HAL, NCL and Carnival freely :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

This won't be our first NCL cruise....I think it's our 6th or 7th. Not one of those cruises were GREAT. We enjoyed them for the itineraries, but the NCL experience, especially on the cruise on the NCL Epic last October/November, we felt like we were nickled-and-dimed to death. Only LOTS of nickles and LOTS of dimes. *LOL*

The cruise we have booked is for October of NEXT YEAR. I imagine they'll get it filled. :) At least it isn't the Epic. I've checked out Member reviews for the Jade....at least Member reviews on that are like 79% positive, while on the Epic the reviews are only 66% positive....so I'm keeping my fingers crossed! :)

The issue is carnival doesn't do many transatlantic cruises and when they do folks pounce in them,so the prices skyrocket.

Since the other lines have fewer ships,they have to shuffle their fleet back and forth across the Atlantic meaning lots of cruises in need of lots of cruisers.

Edited by TwizzlersAddict

if you're looking for a long cruise, such as the 21 day you apparently booked with ncl - carnival is not right for you - they are very few and far between...

the same is true for transatlantic cruises - they only do that out of necessity, versus other lines which regularly shift their ships across the pond...

i think you're just looking for a product offering which carnival doesn't offer - in terms of long cruises (like 21 days)... really with that requisite you will be better served with other cruise lines.

you might look at some of the carnival 'journeys' sailings for the future though - they're some of the longer cruises in terms of days, and offer some unique itineraries, though be mindful that some are 'one way' cruises (though that doesnt seem to be a matter for you!).

Yes, unfortunately, I am already having to kind of "hang out" on the NCL forums to keep up on stuff.....and there is a thread that says starting May 1st they will be charging for Room Service, any time of day. Either $4.95 or $7.95. Aaaargh!

I mean, don't get me wrong -- We will have a fun cruise, but it is as if the things we LOVE about cruising are being screwed around with.

That's my problem too... cruising as we have known it is gone..

NCL now charges an addt'l 18% on specialty dining and room service plus any purchases such as Carlo's Bakery, cigars, coffee shop etc.

New room service charge, diluted platinum perks, Asian restaurant is now free but they changed the menu, Cagney's is rumored to go ala carte... raised the daily service charge.

Too much to keep up with thanks the DelRio and his crew :(

That's my problem too... cruising as we have known it is gone..

NCL now charges an addt'l 18% on specialty dining and room service plus any purchases such as Carlo's Bakery, cigars, coffee shop etc.

New room service charge, diluted platinum perks, Asian restaurant is now free but they changed the menu, Cagney's is rumored to go ala carte... raised the daily service charge.

Too much to keep up with thanks the DelRio and his crew :(

for all the CONSTANT chatter here about carnival 'cutbacks' and such, which i understand are reflective of a changing market and industry 'standards'... NCL seems to be going for the gold...

Last time we were in Europe on a Carnival (Med) cruise....the pricing started out as usual...fairly high prices.

And, as usual lately, it was a new ship doing Med itineraries until late in the year when it came to the US.

Anyway, as time for our cruise drew near, the prices started to fall....my memory is faulty these days, but I am thinking the 16 day transatlantic fell to something like $699. (inside).

My point is that pricing this far out for any cruise line is a crap shoot. Prices will likely look very different by January of '16.

Last time we were in Europe on a Carnival (Med) cruise....the pricing started out as usual...fairly high prices.

And, as usual lately, it was a new ship doing Med itineraries until late in the year when it came to the US.

Anyway, as time for our cruise drew near, the prices started to fall....my memory is faulty these days, but I am thinking the 16 day transatlantic fell to something like $699. (inside).

My point is that pricing this far out for any cruise line is a crap shoot. Prices will likely look very different by January of '16.

$699 would've been fantastic....but believe it or not, the 16-day TA we did on NCL's Epic last Oct/Nov....we got an inside stateroom and paid under $400 for it. Yeah, it was hard to resist that.

This is for a group, so we have to give people lots of time. But I swear, after this, I want to start trying for the last-minute deals!

This won't be our first NCL cruise....I think it's our 6th or 7th. Not one of those cruises were GREAT. We enjoyed them for the itineraries, but the NCL experience, especially on the cruise on the NCL Epic last October/November, we felt like we were nickled-and-dimed to death. Only LOTS of nickles and LOTS of dimes. *LOL*

The cruise we have booked is for October of NEXT YEAR. I imagine they'll get it filled. :) At least it isn't the Epic. I've checked out Member reviews for the Jade....at least Member reviews on that are like 79% positive, while on the Epic the reviews are only 66% positive....so I'm keeping my fingers crossed! :)

Not being Nickeled and Dimed is what makes cruising attractive. I agree I don't like the changes and I have yet to try NCL but I'm sure I will at some point. I just like the energy of Carnival ships.

$699 would've been fantastic....but believe it or not, the 16-day TA we did on NCL's Epic last Oct/Nov....we got an inside stateroom and paid under $400 for it. Yeah, it was hard to resist that.

This is for a group, so we have to give people lots of time. But I swear, after this, I want to start trying for the last-minute deals!

16 day cruise for $400, and you actually had issues worth writing about? What were they?

Edited by eponym

Hubby and I spent weeks researching cruises....we wanted to find a nice long cruise for our group, preferably a Trans-Atlantic, at a really good price. We narrowed the list down to about 20 cruises, of which maybe only two were Carnival cruises. And when it came right down to it, Carnival's best prices were nowhere near NCL's. :(

So, yes, we are booked on a 21-night cruise for under $60/night pp, but it is on NCL! <insert crying smilie here>

This happened last year, too. We always used to be fairly certain to find great pricing on Carnival, but lately it seems they are getting beat out. And I wonder if Carnival is feeling too "comfortable" about their loyal customers.

It's true -- we DO love Carnival cruises. All things being equal, we will choose Carnival EVERY time. Even if things were ALMOST equal, we would choose Carnival. But it is difficult to justify $100/night vs. $60/night pp. Especially over 21 nights.

I hope this isn't a permanent trend.

Sounds like you got a great deal...congrats.