Flip Flops on the Breakaway?

taytaysmom1019

The NCL website says no flip-flops for men or women in the main dining rooms. Does anyone have experience with how strict this policy is? Can women wear a fancier flip-flop with a dress? Or is this policy strictly enforced? Thanks!

It all depends on how one defines "flip flops". To me "flip flops" are those rubber shower shoe things that one wears to the pool deck or beach (or shower:)). "Flip flops" are not those fancy sandals that DW wears that cost $60-$100, which are (to the best of my knowledge) allowed in the MDRs. (But please keep in mind that I have the fashion sense of a peanut.)

Edited by sparks1093

I wear leather, metallic, silver, flip flops, from J. Crew, most nights in the dining room. I have them packed for my Jade cruise leaving this Saturday! They don't look or smell like the rubber ones that are worn to pools or around the ship.

I wear Fit Flops on all my cruises, they've never been a problem

i know flip flops are easy to wear, especially around the pool, but two years ago I wore them and because you slide when walking i fell and broke my foot! Try to wear boat shoes instead! Be safe and enjoy your cruise!

I also only wear either sandals with straps or fancy flats in the evening

Lol...my feet are pretty and they don't smell, but thank u for responding :) So sounds like a leather or metallic, fancier flip-flop would be fine with a dress. I wouldn't wear a basic rubber Old Navy-like flop to dinner. But most of my dressier shoes are in the flip-flop form so that's what I'm packing. Thanks all [emoji1] 5 days to go!!!

For the OP, what NCL says in their FAQ's is no flip flops in any MDR or Specialty Restaurant. There will be some that say do as you wish, or, NCL really means women's "fancy" flip flops are ok. What NCL says is no flip flops. In other cases they specify specific descriptions, i.e. no holes in jeans, not faded etc. No where do they say that some flip flops for women are ok. NCL is very clear, no flip flops in any MDR or specialty restaurant.

Since you know in advance what NCL requires in the dining venues, it should be easy to bring a pair of tennis shoes or any closed toe shoe.

For the OP, what NCL says in their FAQ's is no flip flops in any MDR or Specialty Restaurant. There will be some that say do as you wish, or, NCL really means women's "fancy" flip flops are ok. What NCL says is no flip flops. In other cases they specify specific descriptions, i.e. no holes in jeans, not faded etc. No where do they say that some flip flops for women are ok. NCL is very clear, no flip flops in any MDR or specialty restaurant.

Since you know in advance what NCL requires in the dining venues, it should be easy to bring a pair of tennis shoes or any closed toe shoe.

There is nothing wrong with women wearing sandals in any dining room. Flip flops are specifically excluded, not all sandals. There are many different styles of sandals. I would think the "spirit" of the regulation is rubber/plastic flip flops are not allowed, but nice sandals of any style are fine.

ETA: Here's the wording from the NCL website, nothing about women's footwear other than no flip flops.

Cruise casual is also allowed day and night on embarkation day. Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the aft main dining room (our more formal dining room) and in Le Bistro on cruises longer than five days. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it’s jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Traditional Bermuda shorts along with long socks, loafers and a blazer are all acceptable on a Bermuda cruise. We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants. You may want to pack a sweater too—air conditioning can be chilly. Since your suitcases are collected the night before we return home, don’t forget an overnight bag for prescriptions and need-to-have items.
Edited by Mistizoom

Thanks! Of course women can wear sandals in the main dining room. Sandals can be very dressy and they are mostly open toe. Flip-flops specifically mean shoes that are very open and go between your first two toes. There are plenty of sandals that can be just as open but do not go between your first two toes. Those are not flip-flops. I'll be sure to pack a pair of those type of sandals just in case. But I have not owned a pair of tennis shoes since I was 12 and certainly wouldn't wear tennis shoes with a dress. I don't plan on getting dressed up enough to wear a fancy pair of closed toe heels.

As I said, it depends on how one defines "flip flops". Based on my observations NCL does not define "flip flops" to mean any type of sandal (and if they meant to include sandals their policy would say "no sandals" instead of "no flip flops").

I just reread the policy posted above and no where did I see any reference to shoes for women, only for men:

"For men, it's jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes..........we want you to be comfortable but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors.........are not permitted in the MDR or specialty restaurants". All obvious references to men's dress, not women's.

Bottom line, women can show their feet, men are required to keep their hairy toes covered.

With the use of commas, I read that to refer to the tank tops as just for men, but the flip-flops, baseball caps, visors for men and women. As in tank tops for men were not acceptable but tank tops for women are acceptable, flip-flops baseball caps advisers for either gender are not acceptable in the MDR. But yes this is very general and not specific to the type of sandal. If women couldn't wear sandals I'm sure they would be an upper or, no place do they say sandals are not permitted[emoji1] i'm just going with my flip-flops and fancy flip-flops and will be sure to not wear rubber soled flip-flops in the MDR's.

As I said, it depends on how one defines "flip flops". Based on my observations NCL does not define "flip flops" to mean any type of sandal (and if they meant to include sandals their policy would say "no sandals" instead of "no flip flops").

Not so sure. I think I have read where men have been turned away wearing leather "sandals". If the sandals are open, the toes will show, hence the spicification for "closed toed shoes" in reference to men's dress. Now a closed toed leather "sandal" would work. I think the difference is really whether it's a woman or a man. For men, closed toed.

I just reread the policy posted above and no where did I see any reference to shoes for women, only for men:

"For men, it's jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes..........we want you to be comfortable but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors.........are not permitted in the MDR or specialty restaurants". All obvious references to men's dress, not women's.

Bottom line, women can show their feet, men are required to keep their hairy toes covered.

I've seen plenty of women wearing open toed shoes who unfortunately looked like they could be foot doubles for a Hobbit. ;)

With the use of commas, I read that to refer to the tank tops as just for men, but the flip-flops, baseball caps, visors for men and women. As in tank tops for men were not acceptable but tank tops for women are acceptable, flip-flops baseball caps advisers for either gender are not acceptable in the MDR. But yes this is very general and not specific to the type of sandal. If women couldn't wear sandals I'm sure they would be an upper or, no place do they say sandals are not permitted[emoji1] i'm just going with my flip-flops and fancy flip-flops and will be sure to not wear rubber soled flip-flops in the MDR's.

There is only one reference to "women" in the code, and that is "for women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops". All the other statements are prefaced by "for men" and that tells me that everything that comes after applies to men. Otherwise, women wearing a sleeveless knit shell would be in violation for wearing a "tank top".

I've seen plenty of women wearing open toed shoes who unfortunately looked like they could be foot doubles for a Hobbit. ;)

Hey, you don't have to look good, you just need to be stylish!:).

Recently in a resort area, I saw an elderly man dressed very nicely in a sweater, slacks and nice laced dress shoes. Then I noticed that he had no socks on. I'm hoping that he was just forgetful and that this is not a new trend for men.:)

There is only one reference to "women" in the code, and that is "for women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops". All the other statements are prefaced by "for men" and that tells me that everything that comes after applies to men. Otherwise, women wearing a sleeveless knit shell would be in violation for wearing a "tank top".

Nice try, but it says tank tops for men, then it mentions all the other restricted items. If your reading is correct it should say men are not allowed the following. Makes no sense to restrict men from wearing baseball caps, flip flops, visors and holey jeans or faded jeans. How are those items less offensive if worn by women? They would turn me away for wearing a baseball caps but my wife could walk in with hers? And my jeans with rips and tears would bar me but if my wife walking with me in the same jeans could go in?

Makes no sense. Once again, this is a case of "I'll do what I want because the dress code does not apply to me".

How are my flip flops more offensive than a womans? Makes no sense. When you do an online search for flip flops, it comes up with many pages of listings for womans flip flop sandals etc.

How about we all not go to a dining room with bare feet?:D

Right! That's what I was saying. By the use of commas you would read it that the tank top applies only to men but the rest of the restrictions, hats and holey jeans, apply to both men and women. Poorly written/worded in my opinion, as most people will read it without paying attention to punctuation and sentence structure. I think we have beaten this subject to death. I'm bringing my flip-flops and my feet are pedicured and pretty. I'll keep them under the table[emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]

There are no problems with ff in main ding rooms but they are NOT allowing in specility restaurants. Any thing that is open front and back or has the tab between toes is not acceptable. Known from personal experience of wearing Banana Republic leather flip flop style. As for how strict is all depends on the hostess and how intune she is to the rule.

We only eat in specialty restaurants and have been caught numerous times out of many cruises.

My feet are not hairy but I dislike showing my toes and heels which is why I like wearing the Gianna and close-toe Adrina Crocs plus Bernie Mev sandals on cruise vacations. Can never go wrong with those styles /shoes especially in the evening ...

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk